Jump to content
kingk

How much hope do I have? Be Honest

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Looking to get a hair transplant for my head so my scalp barely shows. I am not expecting long, luscious, dense hair, but enough hair to cover most of my head so my scalp barely shows.

I'm 27 years old. On finasteride for 3 months now.

78724258_593057231532541_7193762671076835328_n.jpg

78729146_2573964212681127_1419709368202428416_n.jpg

79315319_543477296231703_1160971776558104576_n copy.jpg

79323303_607462046690072_5765069837608943616_n copy.jpg

79675952_1195788200611670_3994167328689356800_n.jpg

Edited by kingk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

use medication for 12-18 months and see what happens!
IMHO, fina alone is not enough.
You need to understand that "hair loss is amultifactorial  phenomenon thus different medications work in a synergic way"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agree with duchaine, wait to see how the meds work and see if your balding stabilises.

IMO looks like you have retrograde alopecia (thinning at the nape and above the ears) which doesnt preclude you as a candidate for.a HT but limits your available donor and might make you want to choose FUT over FUE if you eventually decide on an operation. Have you consulted with any of the HT docs here and done a scalp laxity test? They can be done over the net.

The dark hair/light skin contrast also doesnt help hide your balding, which currently looks like youre a diffuse NW6, and given your age (27) means you might eventually advance to a NW7. Does your family have a history of balding? 

Trying adding microneedling to the mix if youre really wanting to explore all your options as diffuse thinners seem to respond better to it (albeit i have never tried it).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is hope.

What would you look like with a shaved head though? Seems like a perfect case. You still have shade in the middle so you won't look bald. Plus good beard and head shape. I know you hate to read it but give it a shot before you dedicate your life to the hair transplant route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the opinions of the fellas above.

IMHO These are the steps you and everyone should take:

1: Yes, shave your head really short or to a buzz cut and see how you like it...you may surprise yourself and like the look a lot. There is a great YouTube channel called Bald cafe and the guy seems to be helping lots of suffering guys deal with this.

2: If after a buzz cut you don’t like it or hate the look, then get on the big 4 (Low dose Finasteride, Minox, Microneedling And Nizoral and stay consistent with it for at least 6-9 months...growing your hair back takes time be patient.

3: If your hair loss has stabilized, look for a reputable Hair transplant doctor and do an in person consultation so they may asses your hair if it’s viable for you to do and HT procedure.

4: Don’t rush a procedure...do steps 1 & 2 first.

Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, duchaine said:

use medication for 12-18 months and see what happens!
IMHO, fina alone is not enough.
You need to understand that "hair loss is amultifactorial  phenomenon thus different medications work in a synergic way"

Thanks. Finasteride alone won't fully grow back hair so I'm thinking I'll have to get a HT sooner or later. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 7:32 PM, transplantedphil said:

agree with duchaine, wait to see how the meds work and see if your balding stabilises.

IMO looks like you have retrograde alopecia (thinning at the nape and above the ears) which doesnt preclude you as a candidate for.a HT but limits your available donor and might make you want to choose FUT over FUE if you eventually decide on an operation. Have you consulted with any of the HT docs here and done a scalp laxity test? They can be done over the net.

The dark hair/light skin contrast also doesnt help hide your balding, which currently looks like youre a diffuse NW6, and given your age (27) means you might eventually advance to a NW7. Does your family have a history of balding? 

Trying adding microneedling to the mix if youre really wanting to explore all your options as diffuse thinners seem to respond better to it (albeit i have never tried it).

 

I've consulted with several doctors in Canada and most recommended FUE with approx 5000 grafts for first session. How much more grafts could I obtain with FUT? I really don't want to get the scar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, CosmoKramer said:

I agree with the opinions of the fellas above.

IMHO These are the steps you and everyone should take:

1: Yes, shave your head really short or to a buzz cut and see how you like it...you may surprise yourself and like the look a lot. There is a great YouTube channel called Bald cafe and the guy seems to be helping lots of suffering guys deal with this.

2: If after a buzz cut you don’t like it or hate the look, then get on the big 4 (Low dose Finasteride, Minox, Microneedling And Nizoral and stay consistent with it for at least 6-9 months...growing your hair back takes time be patient.

3: If your hair loss has stabilized, look for a reputable Hair transplant doctor and do an in person consultation so they may asses your hair if it’s viable for you to do and HT procedure.

4: Don’t rush a procedure...do steps 1 & 2 first.

Good luck!

I've tried minox and finasteride and shaved my head... after all these I still feel like I need to get a HT. I've spoke to some doctors and they recommended FUE of about 5000 grafts. Do you have some reputable doctors that you could recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kingk said:

I've tried minox and finasteride and shaved my head... after all these I still feel like I need to get a HT. I've spoke to some doctors and they recommended FUE of about 5000 grafts. Do you have some reputable doctors that you could recommend?

I am not sure why everyone is stelling not to go for a hair transplant when you are almost completely bald, what's the wait for? if it's really bothering you go for it, but be careful who you go to your donor grafts are valuable and you don't want to go to any place. I would consult with Hasson & Wong and Rahal but I would lean towards H&W, prices are very high in Canada if you don't mind traveling there are good doctors out there in Turkey and Europe that you can go to..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I am not sure why everyone is stelling not to go for a hair transplant when you are almost completely bald, what's the wait for? if it's really bothering you go for it, but be careful who you go to your donor grafts are valuable and you don't want to go to any place. I would consult with Hasson & Wong and Rahal but I would lean towards H&W, prices are very high in Canada if you don't mind traveling there are good doctors out there in Turkey and Europe that you can go to..

The wait is because I am doing a lot of research to find a suitable doctor. I've spoken to Rahal and they said I'm better off shaving my head. I've spoken to H&W and they said FUT is best procedure if I want 100 grafts/cm^2... I'm not looking for that many grafts/cm^2, if its possible then yes I'd go for it. I'm looking to get good coverage on my head show my scalp doesn't show so much. Prices are very high in Canada that's why I'm looking for Turkey but with all these travel advisories, I am still trying to look for best option. Do you have any doctors in Turkey or Europe that you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kingk said:

The wait is because I am doing a lot of research to find a suitable doctor. I've spoken to Rahal and they said I'm better off shaving my head. I've spoken to H&W and they said FUT is best procedure if I want 100 grafts/cm^2... I'm not looking for that many grafts/cm^2, if its possible then yes I'd go for it. I'm looking to get good coverage on my head show my scalp doesn't show so much. Prices are very high in Canada that's why I'm looking for Turkey but with all these travel advisories, I am still trying to look for best option. Do you have any doctors in Turkey or Europe that you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

I would contact HLC clinic and someone like Demirsoy, in Turkey and see what they say, you do have a large area to cover so you might need more than 1 procedure to cover up the balding areas, do you wana deal with the FUT scar? also 100 grafts/cm^2 is insanely high I don't know usually they go for 35-50 cm and some cases with dense packing up to 80 I think, I am not an expert on this but contact with multiple clinics there is no harm in doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I would contact HLC clinic and someone like Demirsoy, in Turkey and see what they say, you do have a large area to cover so you might need more than 1 procedure to cover up the balding areas, do you wana deal with the FUT scar? also 100 grafts/cm^2 is insanely high I don't know usually they go for 35-50 cm and some cases with dense packing up to 80 I think, I am not an expert on this but contact with multiple clinics there is no harm in doing so.

Thanks. Yea I don't want to deal with the scar. I don't know why one of the top clinics in Canada is saying I have no hope while the other one is suggesting I can get ~100grafts/cm^2 which seems a bit high. I know I'll have to do 2 procedures or more in my life but for the first one, do you think it's wise to find a suitable/reputable doctor in Turkey to get it done for lower cost and then another point in my future go to one of the top doctors and spend more money to fill in density? I've contacted HLC and they are charging 2.5 euros per graft which is pretty expensive compared to other clinics in Turkey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingk said:

I've consulted with several doctors in Canada and most recommended FUE with approx 5000 grafts for first session. How much more grafts could I obtain with FUT? I really don't want to get the scar.

How many more grafts with FUT depends on your scalp laxity. Ask the docs you consulted with for an approx donor capacity (remember that your donor thins over time so they say on average youll lose 10%, obviously some more, some less).

If youre getting estimates for FUE at 5000 grafts for a first session that (might suggest) you have more left in the tank after that. 

3 hours ago, kingk said:

Thanks. Finasteride alone won't fully grow back hair so I'm thinking I'll have to get a HT sooner or later. Thoughts?

Yes. Its best to assume medication just delays the inevitable, but that "delay" might be good enough for years, even decades to come depending on its efficacy. When you combine your native hair with your HT results too, that only enhances the overall result.

2 hours ago, kingk said:

The wait is because I am doing a lot of research to find a suitable doctor. I've spoken to Rahal and they said I'm better off shaving my head. I've spoken to H&W and they said FUT is best procedure if I want 100 grafts/cm^2... I'm not looking for that many grafts/cm^2, if its possible then yes I'd go for it. I'm looking to get good coverage on my head show my scalp doesn't show so much. Prices are very high in Canada that's why I'm looking for Turkey but with all these travel advisories, I am still trying to look for best option. Do you have any doctors in Turkey or Europe that you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

Why did Rahal say shave your head? Did they turn you down as a patient? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingk said:

Thanks. Yea I don't want to deal with the scar. I don't know why one of the top clinics in Canada is saying I have no hope while the other one is suggesting I can get ~100grafts/cm^2 which seems a bit high. I know I'll have to do 2 procedures or more in my life but for the first one, do you think it's wise to find a suitable/reputable doctor in Turkey to get it done for lower cost and then another point in my future go to one of the top doctors and spend more money to fill in density? I've contacted HLC and they are charging 2.5 euros per graft which is pretty expensive compared to other clinics in Turkey.

They charge that much because they are the best clinic in Turkey, your second best bet would be Demirsoy in Istanbul he charges 1.25 euros per graft, he does large sessions in 1 day and is one of the most consistent doctors out there, you should consult with him. Who knows you might actually be surprised with the results and decide not to go for another procedure but I wouldn't go to any clinic in Turkey just to save some money not worth it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

Why did Rahal say shave your head? Did they turn you down as a patient? 

A few days ago I read that Rahal doesn't do FUT anymore, also I don't think I have seen a case with 4500-5000 graft via FUE from Rahal on the forum, lately I have seen a few small cases with 1500-2500 graft, he might not be into large cases, that's just my thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

A few days ago I read that Rahal doesn't do FUT anymore, also I don't think I have seen a case with 4500-5000 graft via FUE from Rahal on the forum, lately I have seen a few small cases with 1500-2500 graft, he might not be into large cases, that's just my thinking.

I had 3 FUE procedures with Rahal over a 4 year period to restore my hairline, midscalp and crown. 1st procedure was 2k grafts, second was 1.5k and 3rd was 1k grafts. He definitely prefers smaller FUE sessions for graft viability and also to limit trauma to your donor in one sitting. While this method took longer, my recoveries were all a breeze, and graft yields were high. I'd rather have a safe, conservative and ethical doctor like Rahal than someone who wants to exploit you for as many grafts as possible in one sitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your case, I would also look at Hasson and Wong for strip or Eugenix with Dr. Arika Bansal and Dr. Pradeep Sethi, those two clinics have the most experience with high Norwoods. That said, Dr. Rahal, has an impressive track record, just look at home1212, his results are excellent.  


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingk said:

The wait is because I am doing a lot of research to find a suitable doctor. I've spoken to Rahal and they said I'm better off shaving my head. I've spoken to H&W and they said FUT is best procedure if I want 100 grafts/cm^2... I'm not looking for that many grafts/cm^2, if its possible then yes I'd go for it. I'm looking to get good coverage on my head show my scalp doesn't show so much. Prices are very high in Canada that's why I'm looking for Turkey but with all these travel advisories, I am still trying to look for best option. Do you have any doctors in Turkey or Europe that you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

Who the hell said they can give you 100 grafts/cm2? That’s higher than native donor density for many people. If a clinic promises me that number, id immediately take them off my list as that’s straight up bs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingk said:

I've tried minox and finasteride and shaved my head... after all these I still feel like I need to get a HT. I've spoke to some doctors and they recommended FUE of about 5000 grafts. Do you have some reputable doctors that you could recommend?

Before I give you some suggestions to research..

Where are you located?

Are you willing to travel for an HT?

What is your maximum budget for the HT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 8:44 PM, home1212 said:

had 3 FUE procedures with Rahal over a 4 year period to restore my hairline, midscalp and crown. 1st procedure was 2k grafts, second was 1.5k and 3rd was 1k grafts. He definitely prefers smaller FUE sessions for graft viability and also to limit trauma to your donor in one sitting. While this method took longer, my recoveries were all a breeze, and graft yields were high. I'd rather have a safe, conservative and ethical doctor like Rahal than someone who wants to exploit you for as many grafts as possible in one sitting.

 

Spacing out the cost over a few years also helps some guys who may have trouble affording 5000 grafts all at once.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×