Back on Propecia after massive shed of topical Finasteride

NTCP8

My hair started to thin out around 5 years ago, never paid too much attention to it seeing I had too much hair. 

Back in 2016 I started to with propecia, but stopped after two months seeing my balls hurt a bit. I also used Rogaine, but that product is overrated, at least for me. Last year I started with Topical finasteride, but this made everything worse, hairline was receding and crown is now so thin that when my hair is wet, you can see my scalp form far away. I stopped with topical Finasteride. 

In September I decided to go back on oral Propecia (Don't want to take the generic brand), and so far no sides, I think. My semen is not watery, libido is still high, maybe keeping an erection is a bit more difficult but I think thats just in my head. I did a no-fap test for two weeks, after two weeks I had a one night stand, and no issues keeping it hard. Although I don't really have morning erections, but that's probably because I have some sleeping issues. 

I had a shed, both from topical, and one from oral Finasteride. The shed from topical was bad, I lost 20-30% of my density. What I noticed was that all the hairs that shedded were dark brown, and very stiff. My hair is dark blond and wavy, so I assume the hairs that shedded were unhealthy. I remember when my dad was balding he only had these dark brown stiff hairs left. 

Question is, will my hair grow back? I'm on Propecia now for 4.5 months, and no regrowth. I'm considering to do a first hair transplant to lower may hairline, and fill in my crown, so I can have better density. I used Rogaine for 12 months, but no results, so I stopped using it last week. 

I know I have to wait for at least 12 month to see results with Propecia, but obviously I'm impatient. I know everyone asks the same questions, but do people here have regrowth form Propecia? My hairloss is stabilised now. I stopped using Rogaine last week, seeing after 12 months I didn't see any difference. I'm 34, if that matters. 

Below three pictures. Don't want to post a pic where my hair is wet, its depressing. the shed extended to my middle and right side of my scalp. Pictures are taking last and and this month. 

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

Edited by NTCP8
Added picture

• 1 month later...

^as this poster said, the shed might have been a good thing. How long did you give topical fin?

Why don't you try fin + minoxidil + micro-needling and giving it all 9 months?

Also, your hair doesn't look that bad. 

I quit minoxidil, was on it for 12 months. Didn’t do anything. Maybe even more harm than good. 

Currently only on Propecia. Started with 0.5mg for the first 1.5months, now on 1mg. On it for 5.5months. Now regrowth, but hair loss stabilized. When I wash my hair, I have around 5-10 hairs in my hands. 

No serious side effects, maybe lower libido, but that’s ok. 

I’m still hoping for some regrowth, although I heard it rarely happens.  Shedded hairs that I lost 6-9 months ago, haven’t grown back yet. 

Edited by NTCP8

I have been on minoxidil for around 10 years, when i started to shed some hair.

It worked with me for the first 4 years i guess, but nothing after.

At the moment, i am on oral finestraide for 1.5 months, at the begining i noticed an excessive shedding, i thought it could be from the hair transplant that i did 7 months ago, but i procede wih it and noticed an improvement in the hair density and texture, but cannot tell if its related to the hair transplant procedure or effect of fin. However, still having waves of shedding which worried me. Hoping as you said gays, finestaride is working and replacing the weak hairs with new stronger hairs.