Do Steroids Cause Hair Loss?

• Administrators

I recently had someone ask me if Steroids cause hair loss, and a few weeks ago, there was a 20 year old guy, who complained of having hair loss from steroids. What do you guys think, do they cause hair loss?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I'm interested in this topic. The internet is full of poor information in regards to anabolics, of which there are many types. 

Wouldn't TRT also accelerate MPB?

TRT is really low dose, 50-100 mg per week. That said, these doses would place men in the upper limits of a normal testosterone range. In my opinion, your hair loss could be a bit accelerated, in comparison to someone with low T.

I don’t think it would be anything major, the real problem occurs when guys inject 500-1,000 mg per week, giving them super physiological testosterone, more test usually means more DHT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

59 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

TRT is really low dose, 50-100 mg per week. That said, these doses would place men in the upper limits of a normal testosterone range. In my opinion, your hair loss could be a bit accelerated, in comparison to someone with low T.

I don’t think it would be anything major, the real problem occurs when guys inject 500-1,000 mg per week, giving them super physiological testosterone, more test usually means more DHT.

This is why a lot of bodybuilders also take propecia/Finasteride and aromatase inhibitors to counteract the excess T and any excess conversion to DHT or estrogen.

Personally, I take a few nettle root extract capsules an hour before I hit the gym as nettle root prevents Testosterone from binding to SHBG and lets it roam free in the body...I do notice a slight boost occasionally.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

This is why a lot of bodybuilders also take propecia/Finasteride and aromatase inhibitors to counteract the excess T and any excess conversion to DHT or estrogen.

Personally, I take a few nettle root extract capsules an hour before I hit the gym as nettle root prevents Testosterone from binding to SHBG and lets it roam free in the body...I do notice a slight boost occasionally.

I didn’t know that, bro you’re full of good tips today haha

View my thread

• Administrators
12 hours ago, tesla007 said:

A little different query, can heavy lifting/whey protein cause the T to increase its level and thus impact the hair?

Heavy lifting does increase testosterone, but I don't think to a point where you would experience accelerated hair loss. I haven't seen any concrete scientific evidence that whey protein causes hair loss. That said, I switched to organic plant based protein years ago, because if even the slight chance exists, i'm not risking it, plus veggie protein is a good source of micro-nutrients.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

On 2/28/2020 at 1:04 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Heavy lifting does increase testosterone, but I don't think to a point where you would experience accelerated hair loss. I haven't seen any concrete scientific evidence that whey protein causes hair loss. That said, I switched to organic plant based protein years ago, because if even the slight chance exists, i'm not risking it, plus veggie protein is a good source of micro-nutrients.

So, are you lifting heavy without any issues?

About whey, have you stopped eating all dairy related products and what is the name of the plant based protein which you are using?

Check this

• Administrators
6 hours ago, tesla007 said:

So, are you lifting heavy without any issues?

About whey, have you stopped eating all dairy related products and what is the name of the plant based protein which you are using?

Check this

I still lift heavy weights, I haven't stopped eating all dairy products, I still eat cheese. I use Purely Inspired organic protein.

image.png

• Like 1

View my thread

Is it possible that men who already have MPB would be more susceptible to additional hair loss by taking steroids?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 3/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, gillenator said:

Is it possible that men who already have MPB would be more susceptible to additional hair loss by taking steroids?

If your predisposed to mpb steroids will typically speed up your hairloss. With that said some compounds are harsher than others on the hairline such as masteron which is a dht based steroid. You always get the lucky few who can run grams of the stuff and still have a Norwood 1

• Like 1

The likes of Trenbonol are notorious for hair loss and been known to shed people in weeks.  That said those people are those prone to MPB.  Thats the key factor.  Anyway why risk it. Hair loss is probably the mildest side affect from steroids when you consider the cardiovascular and major organ impact.

• Administrators

True, there are bodybuilders who’ve abuses everything under the sun, but still kept their hair. It really depends on genetics and your told tolerance for DHT. Take a look at Dennis Wolf and Markus Ruhl 

image.jpeg

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

True, there are bodybuilders who’ve abuses everything under the sun, but still kept their hair. It really depends on genetics and your told tolerance for DHT. Take a look at Dennis Wolf and Markus Ruhl 

image.jpeg

This is them now they are def mild balding/receding but yes they both have hair still

Screenshot_20200305-195216_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200305-195042_Instagram.jpg

Ive been told they do and they also make the forhead higher.  You are inducing a lot of hormone and testosterone.  The negative effects may last even if you stop them.  

even if you take those approved androstene type supplements you get at the health food stores, it also enhances hair shed.  

its a quick way to age faster and whither your body and your balls.  

On 3/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, GEazy said:

If your predisposed to mpb steroids will typically speed up your hairloss. With that said some compounds are harsher than others on the hairline such as masteron which is a dht based steroid. You always get the lucky few who can run grams of the stuff and still have a Norwood 1

I had that premonition as I had several friends who were very serious weightlifters and started using steroids...several of them with signs of MPB lost significant hair or should I say their patterns of loss really expedited in a short amount of time.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:51 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I recently had someone ask me if Steroids cause hair loss, and a few weeks ago, there was a 20 year old guy, who complained of having hair loss from steroids. What do you guys think, do they cause hair loss?

All of us suffer ANDRO-GENIC alopecia.
As the same word suggests, the  androgens cause alopecia if your genes are predisposed for hair loss.

That said, do exogenus androgens cause hair loss?

we need to distinguish:
1) super high androgens in the body will cause some hair loss. The hair loss will be more or less aggressive according to our genetic.

2) TRT (please, read this very carefully)

Have you ever noticed that old man with low test start to lose hairs?
The thing was really strange to me, so I tried to find some researches on this topic. I didn't find a lot but a found an interesting study that supposed that, because low test and high aromatase activity (i.e. high estrogens), the body increases 5AR activity to compensate the loss in testosterone and the increase in estrogen. The study concluded that this could lead to SENILE HAIR LOSS.
That said, if this is true, we can suppose that low test can lead to hair loss as well as high test because both lead to high DHT.
Thus, TRT can improve hair quality.
Some days ago I watched a video by Kevin Mann on youtube (if you do not know who he is, look for him).
He is very passionated in bodybuilding and hair loss and he reported that some bald guys he knew regrowth their hairs on TRT.
quite interesting, uh?!

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, duchaine said:

All of us suffer ANDRO-GENIC alopecia.
As the same word suggests, the  androgens cause alopecia if your genes are predisposed for hair loss.

That said, do exogenus androgens cause hair loss?

we need to distinguish:
1) super high androgens in the body will cause some hair loss. The hair loss will be more or less aggressive according to our genetic.

2) TRT (please, read this very carefully)

Have you ever noticed that old man with low test start to lose hairs?
The thing was really strange to me, so I tried to find some researches on this topic. I didn't find a lot but a found an interesting study that supposed that, because low test and high aromatase activity (i.e. high estrogens), the body increases 5AR activity to compensate the loss in testosterone and the increase in estrogen. The study concluded that this could lead to SENILE HAIR LOSS.
That said, if this is true, we can suppose that low test can lead to hair loss as well as high test because both lead to high DHT.
Thus, TRT can improve hair quality.
Some days ago I watched a video by Kevin Mann on youtube (if you do not know who he is, look for him).
He is very passionated in bodybuilding and hair loss and he reported that some bald guys he knew regrowth their hairs on TRT.
quite interesting, uh?!

Very interesting, I do believe that hormonal balances can have the same effect on hair loss. 

• Like 1

View my thread

On 2/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I still lift heavy weights, I haven't stopped eating all dairy products, I still eat cheese. I use Purely Inspired organic protein.

image.png

Melvin a follow up question, what do you think about the pre work out supplements? Not the fancy one's which will definitely raise the T. But the kinda mild one's which have only caffeine and stuff?

@Melvin-Moderator

Edited by tesla007

If they do not contain testosterone additives, then I doubt they would induce hair loss IMHO.

Gillenator