Overshampooing a thing?

Hi I am 5 weeks post op my hair transplant and I have been using toppik as of week 4 and washing it out with shampoo everyday as per the instructions from my clinic. I use baby shampoo for the most part along with another sulfate free shampoo. So my question are there any documented adverse affects of shampooing everyday on the grafts post hair transplant ? My clinic has said toppik must be washed out with shampoo everyday to prevent infection but was just curious so any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

At 5 weeks post-op your epidermis should be well healed by now...maybe you could contact your doctor/clinic again and ask them if they feel it is still critical for you to shampoo every day to remove the Toppik...I resumed using it 3 weeks post-op on all of my procedures and had no problems...I was shampooing every other day.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The only thing over-shampooing could do is dry out your scalp by stripping away some natural oils. (Most hair stylists I know suggest shampooing every other day, on average.) In regards to your grafts, there's no harm in being rigorous with the washing schedule - and if anything, it's good you're keeping it clean to promote healing. Your grafts are definitely secure by now, so I would also recommend checking with your surgeon to see if washing every day is still necessary at this stage. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thank you guys. This definitely helps! My clinic has assured it's absolutely fine to shampoo everyday but I just wanted to make sure just in case since there seems to be such a variety across the clinics as far post op instructions are concerned ! 

Over the years I've seen everyone say different. Some say to wash and condition daily (seems excessive) some say once a week and some say every other day. Guess it depends on the individual and how greasy the hair gets but I wash twice a week, once using Nizoral 2% and the other using any old cheap shampoo I can find.