HT slowly becoming a reality

ichigo

Hi guys.

I've been lurking on this forum ever since I found out that hair transplants were actually a thing. A bit of background: 35 years old, noticed that I was thinning at age 19, which kinda sucks unfortunately but life goes on. In about 2007 I started a program with a local hair loss company, where they bundled up finasteride, loniten, topical minoxidil, laser therapy, and scalp massage into a neat little package for an exorbitant price. I was with them for a few years until I found out that I could buy generic finasteride for much less. So I've been taking finasteride pretty consistently since then (excluding a few gaps of a few weeks here and there), at the moment 1.25mg 3 times a week. I don't think I have any side effects. At the moment I think I'm a NW 3/4 vertex. Before this year I was always pretty set to go with FUT but after seeing a few healed FUT scars I've decided that I would like to go down the FUE route as I've seen some really good results.

I've had a live consultation with Dr Martinick (well, not with her but her trichologist) here in Australia, and another with Dr Pathomvanich in Thailand (both a few years ago now). I've also had an online/email consultation with Hasson and Wong. My plans for a hair transplant were always put on the back burner as I thought I would probably never have that amount of money available all at once. 

I've always read about the so called "Turkish hair mills" and would always dismiss it as an option, however, during my research I found out that there is actually a handful of decent doctors there. And because the price is lower I would be able to afford it. I know full well that I shouldn't go by price, but when I compare, let's say 4000 grafts for example, Dr Demirsoy would be around 8000AUD compared to Dr Hasson/Wong would be around 24000AUD (and that was from an FUT quote, so the actual price would be much higher). That sort of price difference is really quite significant and if I could get a decent job for a more affordable job, then I'm going to go for it (obviously dismissing the Turkish hair mills).

Anyway, so at the moment my doctors of choice would be Demirsoy, Pekiner, and Ferreira, but I've yet to do consultations yet - will get onto it soon. And I'm planning it for December. I have a 2 month holiday period over that time, and I don't want anyone to know I've had any work done, so I'm planning to stay in Turkey (or wherever I go) for a couple of weeks, and then just visit a few more places around the general area (maybe Santorini, Porto, etc) to have a bit of a relaxing time and heal a bit before I go back to work. All under the guise of a 'holiday', no-one will know any better. I plan to fill in my crown, temples, and define my hairline a little. I've attached a couple of photos of my current state.

At the moment I've become pretty good with a hairdryer to make my front area look like there is more hair there than there actually is, however I can't always cover up the crown - but I use Toppik from time to time if I know I'm going to be photographed. This procedure is something that is on my mind every day and I think the possibility of getting it done is becoming more and more a reality. Thanks for reading! I don't really talk to anyone about this, so it's good to have this forum :) 

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Mate, from Australia too and seriously considering HT

The choice of the doctor is the most important thing and we will likely need to get on a plane for at least 14 hours to get anywhere near where the top doctors so it's a really big call. But from the results, it all looks to be worth it. 

I am tossing up between a couple of one's from Turkey and Dr Bisanga from Belgium. 

Keep us updated if you do decide to go ahead with it. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

ichigo, good luck to you. I am similar to you except a little older and a little less on top :) but also seriously considering a hair transplant now. Have you always used finasteride 1.25mg 3 times a week? I only use minoxidil but it´s starting to not be as effective. I never wanted to use finasteride before.