Wearing beanies and construction hats after fue

max13

Hi everyone 

I’ve recently had my second fue done by Dr Acar in Turkey after going to a different doc 2 years ago. 
I plan to take 2 weeks off work then return. I work in construction and required to wear a hard hat when I’m out of my machine.

I was hoping to wear a woolly beanie hat for 8 hours a day while not wearing my hard hat but been advised by my Dr to wait 4 weeks. I can’t afford to have that much time off work and want to hide my transplant till the redness fades.

Can anyone advice me if it is ok to wear a beanie after 2 weeks? I can’t see how it could pull any grafts out as they’ll be secure by then.

Also anyone had any luck with using women’s make up concealer to cover redness and would this do any damage?

Any help is appreciated. 

Could you consider a bandana under your hard hat?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Couldn’t really get away with a bandana as everyone used to seeing me wearing a beanie in winter. I will wear my hard hat very loose when I have to wear it.

i still can’t see how a beanie hat could damage or pull out grafts after 2 weeks. I thought you’d literally have to scratch or pull  them out with tweezers.

You should respect and follow the clinics post operative instructions. They exist for the benefit of the patient, and if any patient has any concerns, they quite rightly question their Doctor, so this mutual trust should ideally be respected. 

When deciding on your choice of physician, you are putting your trust in their knowledge, practice, skill and patient care amongst many other things. This includes their reasons behind their post operative instructions. Obviously most of the healing has taken place over the first two weeks, but your scalp has still had quite a "traumatic" experience. You have invested yourself both financially and emotionally to your surgery, see the instructions through.

It would be interesting to understand what percentage of patients follow all post op instructions, both terms of short term, first two weeks, and long term regarding swimming, sun, concealers etc...

Many clinics issue bandanas post surgery that are generally worn for the initial few days to protect your recipient area. I understand that this may draw attention if it is not your normal attire. Could you wear this under a beanie? Depending on where you are based (climate/heat) and how excessive your work is, you may be quite hot, but its perhaps something to consider to help you with a tight spot. I know post op and managing to keep your procedure private is many patients biggest concern. It was huge for me too. I hope you find the option that makes you most comfortable.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi I appreciate I should follow the docs advice. After my first fue by a different Doc I was told I would be fine to wear a beanie after 2 weeks I can’t understand why every surgeon gives different advice. 
Always knew I’d need another op to cover the crown area which I have just had. 
I may just bite the bullet and wait another 2 weeks. I’m self employed so I don’t get paid for the time off. I live in the UK and it’s winter here so heat wouldn’t be a problem. 

Another solution is to just wear my construction hard had all the time as I was told that it is fine after 2 weeks if it’s not to tight. 

10 hours ago, max13 said:

Also anyone had any luck with using women’s make up concealer to cover redness and would this do any damage?

I did do this about 2 weeks after my procedure and it worked well to be honest. I hadn’t shed yet so it kinda gave me a preview Of what I was going to get, it was awesome lol.... In the end it didn’t look The same but I don’t think the make-up messed anything up.

i use to wear hard hats all the time with a fitted cap underneath because I had long hair. 

2 hours ago, Tbcruz said:

I did do this about 2 weeks after my procedure and it worked well to be honest. I hadn’t shed yet so it kinda gave me a preview Of what I was going to get, it was awesome lol.... In the end it didn’t look The same but I don’t think the make-up messed anything up.

i use to wear hard hats all the time with a fitted cap underneath because I had long hair. 

How did it look different? Do you mean not all the grafts kept on growing hair after shedding, or?

4 hours ago, max13 said:

Hi I appreciate I should follow the docs advice. After my first fue by a different Doc I was told I would be fine to wear a beanie after 2 weeks I can’t understand why every surgeon gives different advice. 
Always knew I’d need another op to cover the crown area which I have just had. 
I may just bite the bullet and wait another 2 weeks. I’m self employed so I don’t get paid for the time off. I live in the UK and it’s winter here so heat wouldn’t be a problem. 

Another solution is to just wear my construction hard had all the time as I was told that it is fine after 2 weeks if it’s not to tight. 

It's fine.  Go back to work as you please.

After 2 weeks things should be relatively normal.  Yes it might be a bit tender still but if the grafts were going to set they did in the first few days.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, Lohvisa said:

How did it look different? Do you mean not all the grafts kept on growing hair after shedding, or?

Yea some grafts did not survive. Wasn’t a bad first procedure but just not what I was expecting 

I did wear make up concealer after my first transplant but that was a good 2 months after. It works quite well. To be honest my final result didn’t look as dense as when I first had it done but the front filled out nicely. I wasnt too bothered as they put density in the front and less in the crown area. I just want the crown to fill out now. 
Im 5 days post op now and the redness is hardly noticeable compared to last time. Probably because I’ve had no grafts put in the front and all in the crown and middle.I might get away without having to wear a hat at all. 

• Administrators

Two weeks may be cutting it early. I would wait until the grafts shed before wearing a construction hat, now a baseball cap should be fine, as long as it's loose fitted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...