Is it true that some health insurance's will cover HT costs for transgenders?

• Administrators

I have never heard about this, and I work for a progressive health carrier. Insurance companies do not cover wigs for cancer patients. Most insurance carriers cover transgender hormonal therapy and gender re-assignment, but hair is not included. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The best thing to do is to call your insurance carrier directly and ask.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

This is totally ridiculous. So a hair transplant is not covered for a man and it's not covered for a woman because it's cosmetic, but it's covered for a man who wants to be a woman because then it's necessary ????

This is one reason why insurance in the USA is so expensive. Because it's not insurance. Insurance is meant to protect you from unforseen things that may happen, not for things that you consciously choose to do to yourself. That is not insurance to decide to have a procedure done and have others pay for it. This goes for drug users and alcoholics as well. This is a choice. There should not be any insurance covering these things.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:31 AM, BeHappy said:

This is totally ridiculous. So a hair transplant is not covered for a man and it's not covered for a woman because it's cosmetic, but it's covered for a man who wants to be a woman because then it's necessary ????

This is one reason why insurance in the USA is so expensive. Because it's not insurance. Insurance is meant to protect you from unforseen things that may happen, not for things that you consciously choose to do to yourself. That is not insurance to decide to have a procedure done and have others pay for it. This goes for drug users and alcoholics as well. This is a choice. There should not be any insurance covering these things.

agreed 100%

• Like 1

This subject comes up from time to time, particularly when something caused the loss - other than a hereditary condition.  In no instance have I confirmed the insurance company paid a cent.  Interesting what's happening with the transgender issue.......it is a choice and not medically necessary...does anyone know the basis of the argument?

It's what out society has evolved into!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 years later...

If you don’t mind my asking, did you need to provide your insurance a written order from your doctor that required the surgical hair procedure?

Gillenator

Singhair,

Personally, I never heard of this.   However, I agree that the best way to find out is to call your insurance company.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

I would be surprised if Starbucks plans cover this, there are different plan types as well. For example, executives at companies have different health plans than regular employees. My suspicion is that perhaps this carve out is under some executive plan. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Even if they did cover it they would likely send you to some chain that can leave you looking pretty bad.

I would imagine they would send you to a plastic surgeon that specializes in gender reassignment that also does hair on the side. Regardless, not something you would want.

• Like 2

View my thread

On 9/27/2022 at 8:46 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

Even if they did cover it they would likely send you to some chain that can leave you looking pretty bad.

It’s always about money or saving money from the insurance companies perspective.

Gillenator

A longtime employee of my dad's company, had a minor welding accident, and was able to get a hair transplant to the damaged areas of his head.

I've known this man since I was a kid, and have seen him go from perfect hairline to receding pretty bad in the last 20 years. Therefore the surgery put hair where there was none prior to his accident, and he looked better than he did before.

Didn't think much about it much until I started losing my hair, and now I find it suspicious that this guy happened to have an accident that seemed to exclusively damage only the areas where he had naturally lost his hair.

What type of damage did he have?

Gillenator