Is it true that some health insurance's will cover HT costs for transgenders?

• Administrators

I have never heard about this, and I work for a progressive health carrier. Insurance companies do not cover wigs for cancer patients. Most insurance carriers cover transgender hormonal therapy and gender re-assignment, but hair is not included. 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

The best thing to do is to call your insurance carrier directly and ask.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

This is totally ridiculous. So a hair transplant is not covered for a man and it's not covered for a woman because it's cosmetic, but it's covered for a man who wants to be a woman because then it's necessary ????

This is one reason why insurance in the USA is so expensive. Because it's not insurance. Insurance is meant to protect you from unforseen things that may happen, not for things that you consciously choose to do to yourself. That is not insurance to decide to have a procedure done and have others pay for it. This goes for drug users and alcoholics as well. This is a choice. There should not be any insurance covering these things.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2020 at 5:31 AM, BeHappy said:

This is totally ridiculous. So a hair transplant is not covered for a man and it's not covered for a woman because it's cosmetic, but it's covered for a man who wants to be a woman because then it's necessary ????

This is one reason why insurance in the USA is so expensive. Because it's not insurance. Insurance is meant to protect you from unforseen things that may happen, not for things that you consciously choose to do to yourself. That is not insurance to decide to have a procedure done and have others pay for it. This goes for drug users and alcoholics as well. This is a choice. There should not be any insurance covering these things.

agreed 100%

This subject comes up from time to time, particularly when something caused the loss - other than a hereditary condition.  In no instance have I confirmed the insurance company paid a cent.  Interesting what's happening with the transgender issue.......it is a choice and not medically necessary...does anyone know the basis of the argument?

It's what out society has evolved into!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY