Dr. Hasson /4,699 Grafts/ FUE/ 1 Session/ 11 months post-op

Hi Mark Wolfer,

My apologies for the delay. Generally speaking, FUT will yield a greater number of grafts in total from donor bank reserves. Therefore, in cases such as a stage 6, it may be preferred to start with a large FUT if we need to cover a large area. That is not to say we couldn’t do FUE but every case is different and there can be a few factors involved in the decision. An FUE procedure can damage nearby follicles if not executed properly. This can also hold true in an FUT procedure. For FUE, improper punch size or technique and lack of skill can result in collateral damage. The skill of the surgeon along with technique can also most certainly influence the precision of a strip excision. Damage to follicles can both reduce the donor bank and also increase the appearance of the scar. We have been as efficient as anyone in strip excision and we’ve carried that over to our FUE extraction. As I have stated before, there are many phases that need to be executed properly to achieve the best possible overall result. Harvesting of the grafts being one of them.  It is important to treat both the donor and recipient areas with a great attention to detail. Which method of extraction would best suit you may depend on a few factors which I’m happy to further discuss with you if you desire.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

On 2/21/2020 at 12:15 AM, H & W Doug said:

Thanks for the comments Steeeve, Mycroft and OliverAtom!

Mycroft: Day 1 was devoted to the hairline where 2537 grafts were employed. Day 2 consisted of all the crown work using 2162 grafts. This patient has above average donor area density and Dr. Hasson estimates another 7,000 grafts available via FUE.

OliverAtom: Here’s another shot of the crown.

The goal here is to greatly improve the appearance of the crown while also striking a good balance with the mid scalp/front. To responsibly manage the donor reserves we don’t want to commit too many grafts to the crown but just enough to create the desired cosmetic impact while still maintaining a fairly seamless transition into the mid-scalp. 

hair-transplant-surgery-after-4699-graft

Stayed tuned for some post-op shots of the donor area.

Nice niceeee!!! THanks for sharing H & W Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

It’s crazy how H&W have transformed into one of the industry’s elite FUE clinics. I’m really glad to see this transition, as it’s good to have surgeons that do both.

Ya. I remember when I was pretty much one of the first documented on this site. Quite a lot of pessimistic people at the time. I had all the confidence in HW even if FUE wasn't necessarily known as their forte at the time. 

Edited by Spidey

On 2/21/2020 at 6:34 PM, H & W Doug said:

Here are a few photos 1 day post-op. When trying to determine how skilled a clinic is at extracting grafts, look for the smallest possible punch size (while still preserving graft integrity) and an even distribution of extraction sites. (Of course don’t neglect the recipient site regarding growth rates, angle direction control of transplanted hair, hairline design, densities among other factors). Or just look at the quality and consistency of the results over many years😊. Also keep in mind the harvest is important in preserving the donor hair for future considerations. If the harvest is not properly executed, collateral damage to the surrounding follicles can occur and therefore diminish the donor area reserves. An improper harvest can also prevent the purpose of being able to wear the hair short without any noticeable defects.  This patient’s remaining donor reserves have been carefully preserved. Notice the uniform spacing of the extraction sites, how small they are and how quickly they start to heal.

2215.jpg
2219.jpg
2222.jpg

Looks Amazing! Your spot on about the donor area. Something I have been trying to say for a while on this forum.