Asmed, Dr Koray Erdogan 3rd Surgery, 14/02/2020, 1126 grafts

Yaz89

Hi everybody, I had my 3rd surgery with Asmed on the 14th of Feb. Hopefully this is my final transplant. I had some hair line issues which we have rectified this time around and have also targeted the crown area. 

I arrived in Turkey, Istanbul on the 10th with the consultation with Dr Koray on the 13th. The new hospital is very modern and high tech. I did find it very quiet and less "fun" than the old hospital.

Consultation

During the consultation I was looked after Suzanna who has an great insight into patient care and of transplants. She is very knowledgeable regarding the tech around hair transplants and was the one who I had been in constant touch prior arriving in the country.

First, the standard photographs were taken with an handheld camera. Both dry and wet shots. Then the KE-Bot was used to calculate my donor. This machine/robot in my eyes is an amazing piece of equipment. In an space of 15 mins, it can take 3000 images of every single hair you have in the donor and also in the recipient. From the screen in front of me, I could see how thick my donor hair is and was amazed to see I have donor hairs consisting of 5, 6 and 7 hairs in terms of grouping. 

After the Ke-Bot, my donor again was evaluated using an small head held camera which they use (its pressed against the skin). Once again, the micron was measured at 70. The micron is extremely important. As greater the micron, the more thicker the donor hair shaft is. Thicker micron usually determines in an overall satisfying end result. This is why some people get "wowed" by results by surgeons such as Couto. Couto patients usually have thick micron's; if your donor hair is on the thin side then do not expect to have an result like Couto patients. You will only hurt yourself and your expectations will not be met. Have seen it many times on this forum. 

Finally Dr Koray arrived. It was great seeing him. Once again, he was an gentlemen and he took his time explaining everything. He was against transplanting in the crown as he stated I had some miniaturized hairs which may get shocked. But I wanted this to me my final surgery so he gave the ok signal. As a joke, I told him I don't want to see him again in another 5 years in an another new hospital and he burst out laughing. But if I am in Istanbul again, I will surely visit again. Thanks to him having hair again, it has turned my life around, made me more feel confident. He is an friend for life. I also met Dr Alp Bayramoglu who is part of the team. Great guy and took an great interest in my previous 2 surgeries. 

Finally the hair line drawing. Dr Koray said 800 grafts in the hairline and behind it. 300 grafts into the crown. I already had 700 grafts in the vertex area from my 2nd surgery but this time all the 300 grafts were concentrated in the black hole cow where my cowlick is. This time the hair line is much more systematic. Before it was too straight from the left side and too high from the right side. Much more rounded and unique.    

Then I was taken to the KE-photo. This is an photography machine. You sit, then the machine comes down and takes about 10 photos in one go instead of someone manually taking the photos with an camera. 

Then Dr Umat the anaesthetist arrived. He was still tough as old boots but humorous like last time.   

I was supposed to meet Dilek but did not get the chance during both days I was at Asmed. I then left Asmed for my hotel.

I understand a few people have stated the consultation felt rushed. This is not the case. Dr Koray has every single piece of information he needs to make decisions. Like the KE-Bot, the calculation of the donor, the micron of the donor. For me, I knew I am in good hands. He has all the information he needs from his tools. In my view Asmed is better now than they were before. 

Surgery day

Standard stuff really; arrive at 7am, change clothes etc. Met the team in the surgery room and was glad to hear the team had more than 8 years in experience with Asmed. The main tech was the same one who worked on me from the 2nd surgery. 

Took 4 hours to extract 1126 grafts. Then lunch, then Dr Koray did the incisions. I think I fell asleep after and woke up right at the end when they finishing placing the final few grafts in the crown. I inspected the work and I was happy to see the dense packing in both hairline and crown area. They bandaged my head and I went back to the hotel. 

The next morning the bandage was removed, the work was washed and photos were taken again with the KE-photo. Then again, with the KE-Bot. Finally it was time to say goodbye to Dr Koray, Suzanna and everyone else. 

Final thoughts 

Like everyone else, I had been concerned about the quality of work declining and I asked the clinic. It is safe to say I am happy with their answers and before my 3rd surgery researched every patient forum where Asmed cases have been posted (real patient write-ups) such French, German, Italian forums and their work is still high quality.    

Dr Koay has been investing heavily into research and new technology and its only for his patients; to make a great result into an even greater result. The KE-bot is the world’s only robotic system to prepare a 3D model of the head, determine surface area, follicular unit density, hair density, the calculated density, the hair diameter, and coverage value. I know because it was used on me. The KE-photo also is an great technology. It is an photography system that takes six photos simultaneously in the same view to maintain consistency in before and after photography.

Expectations, Expectations, Expectations

Hair transplants is both an surgical procedure and an form of artisity. Actually it is way more than that. It is about donor hair, thick or thin hair shafts, the amount of hair loss, use of medication. These are all important. And for me, it has all worked out at the end. First, the usage of fin has greatly thickened my hair (I have been taking more than 7 years with no side effects). Secondly, I have an great donor. My patient lisaon (Suzanna) commented how thick my hair was. More thicker than Arabs and even more thicker than typical south-asian hair. I was astonished to hear this as I am south asian myself.  

I have played it safe with small surgeries of 2402 (2013), 2482 and finally 1126 (2020) grafts. I believe the gap in the years have helped the transplants mature and to see if any further hair loss has been detected...good to say it hasn't. It could be fin is still helping to maintain. I had my first transplant at 24 now I am 31. I have more hair than most of my friends. 

Usually again, the more surgeries you have the less thicker the donor becomes and the bigger grafts decline in number. It has not been the case for me:

2404 (2013) Single 489, double 1159, triple 700, multiple 54. Average 2.13 

2482 (2016) Single 409, double 1392, triple, 633, quadruple 54, quintuple 2. Average 2.14

1126 (2020) Single 122, double 697, triple, 283, quadruple 24

Total 6012 grafts

I will post when the need requires in the future, as hair loss is an battle which I have won (so far).

_DSC55501.png

_DSC55512.png

_DSC55523.png

_DSC55534.JPG

_DSC55545.JPG

_DSC55556.JPG

_DSC5550.png

_DSC5551.png

_DSC5552.png

_1.JPG

_2.JPG

_DSC5553.JPG

6438_On_1.png

6463_On.png

6461_Vertex.JPG

6463_Ust.JPG

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_20166.jpg

ANALİZ KEYNOTE.001.jpeg

ANALİZ KEYNOTE.002.jpeg

ANALİZ KEYNOTE.003.jpeg

ANALİZ KEYNOTE.004.jpeg

ANALİZ KEYNOTE.005.jpeg

Edited by Yaz89

Wow! Just looked through your 2 other topics now and what an incredible transformation you've made! Congrats! Hope your third surgery turns out as you want, I will follow your progress.

I had my first transplant with Dr. Erdogan almost 6 weeks ago and I'm patiently going through the shedding phase now... If I'd get even close to your growth I'd be very happy 😁

First hair transplant: 5078 FUE Grafts with Dr. Koray Erdogan, ASMED clinic, January 2020 

Link: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/56016-5078-grafts-fue-910th-jan-2020-asmed-dr-koray-erdogan

• Administrators

Thanks for posting, i'm glad that Dr. Erdogan, took good care of you, if i'm being honest, you looked fantastic before you had the third surgery. Even with wet hair, it looks great.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Yaz89,

First of all, congrats on your new HT. I´m quite sure you will look totally amazing with a total of 6000 new grafts up there.

I went through your other surgeries and after the fisrt one your were looking soooo good ... why a 2nd? And what I do not understand is the 3rd ... but seeing the outstanding DONOR you have, I would probably do the same 😄 ... oh, if I had the hair and the BLINK BLINK

You mention Couto in your report and I dont really understand why mix your case at ASMED with the Magician Dr Couto, such different Doctors  ...  by the way, Dr Couto would have provided you with the same result with a lot less number of grafts for sure as would have Dr Freitas as well... and even with thinner hair than yours, just 2 examples:

So once again we can see that ASMED, as everyone knows by now, uses way too many grafts to get same results as in other clinics.

Anybody knows why they do so?

Hi Yaz,

Great to see you back online and congratulation on your 3rd surgery mate.

I recall seeing your amazing 1st surgery results in person, your latest result will leave you with hair of a 16 year old.

Stop it right now, no more!

• 2 months later...

3 months and 2 weeks update. Hope everyone is well and staying safe due to the current situation regarding the pandemic.

Just under 14 weeks now and not sure if this is early growth. Donor had recovered quickly. 

Far too early to judge the growth regarding the grafts placed in the crown and I know crown grafts take longer to appear. But I have a feeling, due to diffused hair loss pattern, that a 100% full coverage won't be possible. 

For diffused hair loss, minoxidil is the best solution. I will judge the crown growth in 18 months and will then decide whether to use minoxidil or not. 

I am still using fin. Have been since passed 7 years with no sides.

Stay safe everyone and I will update again in due time. 

4BDC0854-AA93-4EAE-9659-B8679996C216.jpeg

8EF0B901-8111-4B71-8D7B-83070D42DC70.jpeg

7C7579AA-C178-4F69-B795-0649B2B7267C.jpeg

FE049AEE-CEBF-4B64-B012-77BFA4A24085.jpeg

E3DF6848-FD2B-4EB9-BA93-102BEE807D19.jpeg

12FB4B5C-1AC6-4EB5-8CE9-C108FAC4E13E.jpeg

Edited by Yaz89
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, HTHope said:

Do you know what size punch was used on you?

Sorry, I do not have that information but I am sure something in the region of 0.6mm to 0.85mm

1 hour ago, HTHope said:

Thanks are you still on treatments?

Yes I am. Been on fin since 2013

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:41 AM, PlzRespond said:

What kind of hairline issues did you have? Your hair looks amazing when long

did you ever experience any shock loss after your second and third transplant since the same areas were worked on?

Had some micro-issues regarding the hair line and the 3rd surgery was mainly to increase density. Or I say hair greed. 

No I did not have any shock loss. The third surgery I had a small amount of shock loss on the side of the head but it has grown back. Had no shock loss in previous transplanted areas. It shows the high training standards of Asmed which they strive on. 

Edited by Yaz89