Who is the best hair transplant surgeon - willing to travel anywhere.

Hi, 

I've had 3 transplants in the past to try to fix my receding hairline and I am very unhappy with the results (My first was with someone from Bosley, 2nd with Dr. Shapiro and a 3rd with Dr. Arronovitz).  If the wind blows my hair back, its very unnatural looking and sparse.  I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my scalp and the transplanted hairs won't grow or what?  But after 3 transplants, I should have much thicker looking hair in my opinion....  On top of that, my scar is very large.  

I want to give this one last shot and am willing to travel anywhere in the world for the best results.  Who would you recommend as the absolute best for a situation like mine?  I am hoping to achieve a full and thick hairline and get rid of that giant scar.

Thanks so much in advance everyone!    

left dry.jpg

left wet (2).jpg

right wet.jpg

scar 2.jpg

You should ask for a dense packing from say HLC if you want a really thick hairline.. however you shouldn't spend too much donor grafts on your hairline if your hairloss hasn't even stabilized yet and you haven't lost hair on your crown yet.

About 1200-1500 grafts in your hairline should help thicken it without making it too obvious you've had something done.

As for the scar, I'd say  approximately 300 beard grafts will help disguise it but not hide it completely.

Hairs in the temples are too thick.  I'd have them punched out and redistributed behind the hairline + further grafts.

Maybe 1000 FUE with Konior including a few hundred in the scar.  Likely to cost $13k+ but worth it.

temp.jpg

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

40 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

Hairs in the temples are too thick.  I'd have them punched out and redistributed behind the hairline + further grafts.

Maybe 1000 FUE with Konior including a few hundred in the scar.  Likely to cost $13k+ but worth it.

temp.jpg

That's a large area to fue out. But I agree with the approach. Taking the area you've marked out immediately improve the shape and solve the density issue. Innovative solution. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watterot said:

That's a large area to fue out. But I agree with the approach. Taking the area you've marked out immediately improve the shape and solve the density issue. Innovative solution. 

Sure, the area was just a guide and could be smaller.  Fortunately the hairs appear mostly singles so a small diameter punch would minimise scarring.

Another option would be Cooley who uses electrolysis to kill off the follicles in-situ.

Once either is done the doc could start from scratch on creating a better hairline.

• Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

@LookingForTheBest2020

Sorry to hear of your situation, especially after having 3 Hair Transplant it must be very disappointing.

If you decided to remove the thick hair from the areas that are highlighted , you might consider using that hair to be implanted again elsewhere on your scalp.

Then if you were to touch up around this area where the thick looking hairs were removed from, you could replace them with soft single hairs. These single hairs could be extracted from just up over your ears, and from the nape of your neck. This would give a soft natural undectable looking hairline.

As you had 3 HT s already, and your doner is very limited, you might consider using your beard grafts to disguise your FUT scar.

I had my HT with Dr.Pradeep Sethi and Dr.Arika Bansal at EUGENIX. I know that they carry out repair HTs, and are very good with dealing with patients with limited Doner. Both Doctors are highly skilled and would be well qualified to really improve your hairline, and other areas of improvement you may require. 

I hope all works out.

Paddy

• Thanks 1

@LookingForTheBest2020 if you indeed want the best and have a no limit budget then you should look at Konior, Feriduni and Couto.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm very interested to know what Dr. Shapiro had to say about your results. He has always been a top doctor, and pretty much as elite as any surgeon that will be mentioned. My concern is that perhaps you compromised vascularization in the hairline after 3 surgeries. You may also have some scarring, that could inhibit growth. I think before undergoing another procedure, you should really speak with Dr. Shapiro and perhaps have some tests done.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mark Wolfer said:

What kinds of tests can one do? I'm wondering what information can be gathered that could help a surgeon make choices ahead of my 1st HT

They can do a biopsy, to rule out any physiological conditions. Dr. Shapiro is as elite as they come, I’d be interested to know what he said about your results. What did your hair look like before?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thank you for your input everyone!

I had never heard of Dr Konior before.   In other forum posts I had read, I thought there was a general consensus that Hasson & Wong were among the top doctors, I was surprised no one has mentioned them.  

As far as my previous procedures, they were all 5 plus years ago and I don't remember exact details of my conversations with the doctors.  Each basically agreed that the previous transplant was not good and promised they would do better :(

A couple of you had mentioned putting beard hairs in the scar.....however, I'm confused why the scar could not just be cut out and then closed tighter with more stitches?  I was thinking perhaps a future procedure could even be taking a larger strip out (including my current scar) and re-closed, extracting new donor hair and removing the scar at the same time?  Is that not a wise approach? 

Also, does anyone have advanced knowledge of or personal experience with what is apparently called the "HST" stem cell method (I'll post a link below) where the hair will apparently re-grow in the donor area as well (thus, eliminating the fear of ever running out of donor hair)?  That seems too good to be true.....but it's certainly intriguing.  https://hasci.com/treatment/hair-stem-cell-transplantation/   I would love to hear any unbiased results from this method.   

Thank you again everyone!

• Thanks 1

@LookingForTheBest2020 you say you want the best and then consider a marketing hype clinic claiming to use donor steam cells. My advice is stay clear. 
You want the best then get on the wait list for Konior or Couto and do it quickly because the wait list is over 1 year.

@Portugal25, thanks for the advice.  I was afraid the stem cell thing was just marketing hype, but that is why I was asking if anyone had any experience with it.  
In regards to your recommendation, to confirm, is it Raymond J. Konior in Chicago you are referring to? (https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/about-the-practice/about-the-doctor)

I also looked up Dr. Juan Couto  from Madrid, Spain but it looks like he's literally booked until 2023.....!  Any recommendations for someone with a waiting list that is in months, not years?  :)

Thanks again. 

• Administrators

Stem cell is just hype, there’s no evidence that it does anything, I recall they’re used to be a so-called regenerative FUE. Turned out they were splitting hairs, literally.

Dr. Konior is definitely worth consulting with, but honestly I don’t think he’s any better than Shapiro. I don’t know if you’ve spoke about your results with him, but I’d start there first, they stand by their work.

View my thread

@Lookingforthebest yes it’s Raymond Konior in Chicago.

If you want a great Doctor with no more than 6 months wait list then talk to @Dr. Bruno Ferreira he works in Madrid with Dr. Lorenzo (one of the best FUE docs) but also has his own clinic in Porto (2.5€/graft).
Also look into Dr. Rafael De Freitas and Dr. Ximena Villa (2.5€/graft)

• Administrators

I believe I have incorrectly assumed he was referring to the great Dr. Ron Shapiro, there are other Shapiro’s, and this work definitely doesn’t look like Dr. Ron’s. 

Op I will PM you.

View my thread

Hello guys.

I also search for the best doctor for repair HT (1st HT in ASMED, 4500 grafts, very low density in frontal area and terrible shape of hairline) + receding vertex). I wrote emails to several doctors and clinics, which I consider the best. The results:

Hasson&Wong, Vancouver Canada: 1000 - 1500 grafts to hairline and recomended finasteride for vertex

HLC, Ankara Turkey: 1400 - 1800 gafts to hairline, 800 - 1000 to vertex, 2,7 eur/graft, including apartman, food, transfers and medical package

Hair of Istanbul: maximum ammount of grafts, which donor allowed, 5.500,- eur for whole HT, including full service

Dr. Feriduni, Hasel Belgium, 2200 - 3000 grafts (hairline + vertex), 11.374,- - 15246,- eur, without any other services

Dr. Pekiner, Ankara Turkey: ask for video from my current condition, 2,25 eur/graft, transfers included

Dr. Lorenzo, Madrid Spain and Dr.De Freitas, Valencia Spain, ask for personal consultations where they will deside if my donor is suitable for 2nd HT

Dr. Couto, Madrid Spain didn´t answear for 2 and half months and just wrote me that according thousands emails weekly, they write off continuously and I have to wait. He has waiting list till 2024 and he actually don´t take new patients

Dr. Keser, Ankara Turkey, wrote, that according my previous HT and hair loss pattern, he can´t offer me his services

I excluded Hasson&Wong (too far from me), Feriduni (too expensive and his work is not so good like f.e. Couto´s) and Hair of Istanbul (perfect results and good price, but they harvest all possible grafts, like tomorrow never come)

The best option seems to be HLC, but I they have published just a few results.

What advice would you give me? Thanks for every opinion. 

20200223_162052.jpg

20200223_162106.jpg

20200223_162149.jpg

26 minutes ago, miko said:

Hey Miko,

Best if you don't disclose full details to any of those doctors or future doctors where you had your first procedure. Some are in the same institution as Erdogan and wont be willing to help you. Just a bit of advice this has happened to me and a few others now.

It's the same typical result. 

The hair transplant mafia is only allowing this to carry on. Erdogan needs to be removed from this forum if it has any dignity

20200223_162052.jpg

20200223_162106.jpg

20200223_162149.jpg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, miko said:

Hello guys.

I also search for the best doctor for repair HT (1st HT in ASMED, 4500 grafts, very low density in frontal area and terrible shape of hairline) + receding vertex). I wrote emails to several doctors and clinics, which I consider the best. The results:

Hasson&Wong, Vancouver Canada: 1000 - 1500 grafts to hairline and recomended finasteride for vertex

HLC, Ankara Turkey: 1400 - 1800 gafts to hairline, 800 - 1000 to vertex, 2,7 eur/graft, including apartman, food, transfers and medical package

Hair of Istanbul: maximum ammount of grafts, which donor allowed, 5.500,- eur for whole HT, including full service

Dr. Feriduni, Hasel Belgium, 2200 - 3000 grafts (hairline + vertex), 11.374,- - 15246,- eur, without any other services

Dr. Pekiner, Ankara Turkey: ask for video from my current condition, 2,25 eur/graft, transfers included

Dr. Lorenzo, Madrid Spain and Dr.De Freitas, Valencia Spain, ask for personal consultations where they will deside if my donor is suitable for 2nd HT

Dr. Couto, Madrid Spain didn´t answear for 2 and half months and just wrote me that according thousands emails weekly, they write off continuously and I have to wait. He has waiting list till 2024 and he actually don´t take new patients

Dr. Keser, Ankara Turkey, wrote, that according my previous HT and hair loss pattern, he can´t offer me his services

I excluded Hasson&Wong (too far from me), Feriduni (too expensive and his work is not so good like f.e. Couto´s) and Hair of Istanbul (perfect results and good price, but they harvest all possible grafts, like tomorrow never come)

The best option seems to be HLC, but I they have published just a few results.

What advice would you give me? Thanks for every opinion. 

20200223_162052.jpg

20200223_162106.jpg

20200223_162149.jpg

Please create your own thread- this is someone else’s topic. 

View my thread

@miko sorry to hear about your results with ASMED and it seems that issues with ASMED  are becoming regular because just last week @dust78 was complaining about overharvesting and saying that ASMED was ignoring any wrong doing or responsibility.

You can check more results from HLC at the Italian forum.

I would also advise you to speak with Dr. Bruno Ferreira because he is at your price point 2.5€/graft does the whole surgery with DHI and operates on just 1 patient per day. He also works with Dr. Lorenzo in Madrid (but there you pay 5€/graft for him to do your surgery).

Edited by Portugal25

• 2 weeks later...