Scabs?

Hi, 

I have been recommended by my surgeon to have atleast 7 washes (foam and shampoo) before going back to normal showering. Then using the massage technique remove the remaining scabs within 3 days. 

Does this mean massaging my implanted area too? At the moment I'm softly pressing it when shampooing. I've messaged my clinic but awaiting an answer. 

How long did u guys wash for before going back to normal showering? 

Thanks 

Edited by rafter_01

Was told to wash by placing a flannel on my head and pouring water over it  - no contact with the recipient area. After a week I added shampoo to the flanel and after 10 days washed normally but with the shower on low pressure.

It's 7 days after my transplant. My scabs are falling mainly from my donor area but very little from the transplanted area. 

Am I being over cautious being a first timer? 

I currently massage my donor area only do you think it would be wise to massage (softly) my transplanted area now? 

I didn’t really touch the recipient area for two weeks and was careful when washing - most of the scabs had fallen off by then but I had some mingled with native hair for a month! Think the best policy is to leave it for as long as you possibly can, it’s around the week mark that they’re secure but why take any chances over a few days.

7 hours ago, Sybutwhy? said:

I didn’t really touch the recipient area for two weeks and was careful when washing - most of the scabs had fallen off by then but I had some mingled with native hair for a month! Think the best policy is to leave it for as long as you possibly can, it’s around the week mark that they’re secure but why take any chances over a few days.

So, reading the instructions from my surgeon, it says wash with foam and shampoo for 7 days. This then should be followed by talking a normal shower directly under pressure and start to remove the scabs by massaging. Scabs need to be removed by 3 days so the hair can grow. 

Is this normal? 

rafter_01,

If it's been 9 days since your transplant you should be fine to now gently massage your implanted area using gentle circular motions with your hand when washing. Because the scabs will soften when they are wet you will find that they will easily prize off onto your fingers. A few days of this and you should be relatively scab free.

Also when washing your hair under the shower, keep the water lukewarm, hot water can aggravate the scalp.

Edited by Shera

6 minutes ago, Shera said:

rafter_01,

If it's been 9 days since your transplant you should be fine to now gently massage your implanted area using gentle circular motions with your hand when washing. Because the scabs will soften when they are wet you will find that they will easily prize off onto your fingers. A few days of this and you should be relatively scab free.

Also when washing your hair under the shower, keep the water lukewarm, hot water can aggravate the scalp.

Thanks. Exactly what i have started doing.

17 hours ago, rafter_01 said:

So, reading the instructions from my surgeon, it says wash with foam and shampoo for 7 days. This then should be followed by talking a normal shower directly under pressure and start to remove the scabs by massaging. Scabs need to be removed by 3 days so the hair can grow. 

Is this normal? 

Yeah instructions similar to mine except I was told to use the shower on light pressure for 10 days I think. From memory there wasn’t any mention of removing scabs so the hair can grow- you’ll find that the scabs come away from the scalp as hairs grow longer and push away, then it’s easier to crush them up with your fingers.

(eurgh)

IMHO, you want to wait 7 - 10 days post-op before removing the crusts in the shower.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY