Depressed because of my receding hairline. What is the best solution for me?

Hi guys I have posted in the past and as I get older, it gets harder and harder to hide my receding temples. I can no longer hide it and it is super depressing. At this point I am looking solutions to my problem. I think I know that it will be tough to get any regrowth back since the only thing I use regularly is Rogaine. The only way to get regrowth seems to be surgery.

So having said that, i am looking for a doctor that is super experienced in hairline transplants and I don't mind doing it here in the USA or traveling to another country. In fact, if there are doctors just as talented in other countries that will perform the procedure at a lower cost then that's something I wouldn't mind. 

Thank you guys and I look forward to hearing from your advice and recommendations. 

@yeeaah

A little research and time reading over patient posted results will give you a good idea of what you can be achieved in regards to your results and what you can expect experience wise.

Try to find a few cases that have similar loss patterns and ideally somewhat similar hair type to you. Then you can reach out to the Doctor and request an online evaluation.

For sure you have a few great options in the USA. Its great to hear that you will not let location be a restriction. Also, please do not let pricing be your leading factor of choice. All patents are price conscious to one degree or another, but select the physician that is right for you after speaking with their patients, viewing several results, have a reputation of honesty and ethical practices and a clinic that "feels" right when in correspondence with you.

My personal advice also, many may disagree, is list your potential physicians, and then through your own research begin to narrow down your list. When guys contact 20+ clinics from all locations and all budgets, and receive 20 different recommendations, it only confuses them all the more and is not helpful. No patient can seriously be considering 20 physicians. If they are, then they have not done their research appropriately to begin with.

This forum presents a great starting point.

I wish you the best!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hello @yeeaah .

Losing your hair can be a traumatic experience alright . Now you want to do something to resolve your issue  . You have said the right things   "  super experienced surgeon ,  willing to travel to other countries "  that's a really important part of your decision making. You also need your temples reconstructed, so only a super experienced Surgeon can do this , as your new look will be what you have for the rest of your life. Your choice of a top Doctor is critical for ensuring you have a really natural look.

I can relate to how you think as I was in the same situation myself. I had to factor in wanting an  super experienced Surgeon , and willing to travel. I spent a lot of time researching,  had flights for face to face consultations with top doctors, looked at lots of results ,spoke to past patients also.

I travelled from Ireland and had my HT with Dr.Pradeep Sethi and Dr.Arika Bansal at EUGENIX India. As I had my own personal experience with them,, I  can recommend that you have them on your potential list of top Surgeons to look into.  In my opinion the cost of a HT should not be a major factor of your decision making, although everybody has a budget. Eugenix prices are very competitive to any of the top surgeons around the globe at $2 or so a graft . That is really affordable. Both Doctors have the highest of creditionals ,are recommended on this forum, and have shown excellent results  here also. Even their own employees have shown their results on this forum.

You can see my own results to date,  and ideas to help your research, when you visit .......' Results posted by patients..'.

Then.... ' Experience of an Irishman after 6 years researching. '

I wish you all the best.

Paddy.

Edited by paddyirishman
Left out words

On 2/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

Can you post a few photos so we can see the recession in the temporal area you are talking about. Then recommendations could be made.

Here you go doctor. Looking forward to hearing from you and others here in the forum.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

I personally wouldn't go to Turkey/India/etc.

Check out Dr. Konior, he is re: as being among the best in the world. I suggest you get on propecia asap; you have a lot of hair left so you want to do what you can to hold onto it. I would also suggest getting a FUT for your first transplant and not FUE so you can max out your donor area. My guess is over time, you will need more coverage. Something like 1500 grafts is all you need, maybe 2K is all you need today. 

Aside, you have plenty of hair. Most of the guys here wish they had your problem. Good luck. 

Edited by champybaby
  • Thanks 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

1 hour ago, champybaby said:

I personally wouldn't go to Turkey/India/etc.

Check out Dr. Konior, he is re: as being among the best in the world. I suggest you get on propecia asap; you have a lot of hair left so you want to do what you can to hold onto it. I would also suggest getting a FUT for your first transplant and not FUE so you can max out your donor area. My guess is over time, you will need more coverage. Something like 1500 grafts is all you need, maybe 2K is all you need today. 

Aside, you have plenty of hair. Most of the guys here wish they had your problem. Good luck. 

Why FUT instead of FUE

I usually get a zero low fade in the sides so wouldn’t my scar show if I did FUT?

1 hour ago, makemefamous19 said:

Not bad hairline. A decent surgeon could improve that tenfold, so don’t be too depressed about it.

Thank you.

between konior and gable, who would you guys go for?

On 2/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, yeeaah said:

Hi guys I have posted in the past and as I get older, it gets harder and harder to hide my receding temples. I can no longer hide it and it is super depressing. At this point I am looking solutions to my problem. I think I know that it will be tough to get any regrowth back since the only thing I use regularly is Rogaine. The only way to get regrowth seems to be surgery.

So having said that, i am looking for a doctor that is super experienced in hairline transplants and I don't mind doing it here in the USA or traveling to another country. In fact, if there are doctors just as talented in other countries that will perform the procedure at a lower cost then that's something I wouldn't mind. 

Thank you guys and I look forward to hearing from your advice and recommendations. 

I feel you pain. 

What's your age? Sounds like you aren’t on fin? Is that because you tried it and had sides? 

9 minutes ago, yesplease said:

I feel you pain. 

What's your age? Sounds like you aren’t on fin? Is that because you tried it and had sides? 

I was taking the 5 mg finestiride. But my semen became watery so stopped using it. Scared of long term effects tbh. I’m 31

11 minutes ago, yeeaah said:

I was taking the 5 mg finestiride. But my semen became watery so stopped using it. Scared of long term effects tbh. I’m 31

5mg is the dosage prescribed to prostate patients, 1mg is the recommended dosage for hair loss sufferers. Even then 1mg 3 times a week generally does the job.

You might want to give it another go at the correct dosage.

Just now, Shera said:

5mg is the dosage prescribed to prostate patients, 1mg is the recommended dosage for hair loss sufferers. Even then 1mg 3 times a week generally does the job.

You might want to give it another go at the correct dosage.

At this point what should I expect it to do? Hair regrowth in that area? Or just stop hairloss and keep it from getting worse?

You could give the meds another go and see if the front thickens up, but you need to be aware that any meds are very unlikely to bring back what has already gone.

If you are unhappy with the hairline and the temples then 1500-2000 grafts as already mentioned above should enhance your look greatly.

17 minutes ago, yeeaah said:

I assume you mean you were cutting the 5mg tablet into fourths and taking 1/4 daily? 

I hear you. I tried various dosing strategies and had sides regardless. Still have some well over a year later. Seems like having significant sides is unlikely for most people but they’re definitely real and there is an element of the unknown in regards to possible long-term effects. 

It’s a shame because it’s our most effective medical treatment and I have definitely lost ground since stopping, but it’s not worth the deleterious effects of the medication.  

Anyway, I agree that your hair and scalp color contrast work against you, but your hair looks like it might be a bit coarse and your forelock still looks dense. Those are both positives in regards to HT candidacy.  Might help to see a good photo of your donor area. Keep us posted on your decision making, good luck. 

2 minutes ago, Shera said:

Also you could experiment with a different style rather than the slick back look that emphasizes your recession more.

I definitely comb forward lol. I just did it backwards so you guys could see what my hair looks like.

1500 grafts.

is dr gable a good option for this? Shapiro or who else? Gable seems the cheapest 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, yeeaah said:

I definitely comb forward lol. I just did it backwards so you guys could see what my hair looks like.

1500 grafts.

is dr gable a good option for this? Shapiro or who else? Gable seems the cheapest 

Good choices +  Josephitis, Cooley, Bloxham (FUT only), Mohebi, & Nadimi who works with Konior.

I think an FUE to start with would be ok but as a second surgery later down the line I would consider switching to FUT, especially not on meds.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 2/21/2020 at 12:35 PM, 1978matt said:

Good choices +  Josephitis, Cooley, Bloxham (FUT only), Mohebi, & Nadimi who works with Konior.

I think an FUE to start with would be ok but as a second surgery later down the line I would consider switching to FUT, especially not on meds.

How many grafts do you think ill need?

6 hours ago, yeeaah said:

How many grafts do you think ill need?

1500 seems about right.  2000 tops

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I used to wake up depressed af and when i went out i got even more stressed because i couldn't style my hair the way i wanted. I would avoid any pictures because my hair would just look like shit. The best solution is probably a hair transplant, after i had my transplant i simply stopped caring and it was one thing less for me to worry about. If you're waiting for your transplant you can do 2 different things. Buzzcut or style your hair to hide the recession. I went with a buzz cut because my hair isn't as thick as yours and i'm a bit of perfectionist, my hair just didnt look right when i tried to hide my recession. The relief you get when you've buzzed your hair is actually quite amazing, obviously you still care that you have a bad hairline but it definitely made me think less about my recession. 

If you want to style your hair and not buzz it, i'd suggest styling your hair like this. You can still see it's receding but many people won't notice it. Heck most of us can spot minor receding from a mile away but the general public are quite unaware.

CALUM-SCOTT-525697.jpg