Mark Wolfer

Using botox more effective than finasteride - and an argument against FUT?

So I was reading a book on hair loss and this study was referenced.

https://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/fulltext/2010/11000/Treatment_of_Male_Pattern_Baldness_with_Botulinum.79.aspx

Very small sample size but very interesting idea behind the study. Essentially it suggests that tension caused by the muscles around your scalp leads to restricted blood flow to the scalp and follicles, leading to male pattern balding. By injecting botox into the muscles that pull on the scalp, the tension is released and after a year of observation 75% of the ~50 men in the study had an 18% improvement in hair growth.

And where this took me personally is to whether this is a reason to choose FUE over FUT because of the loss of scalp elasticity from the strip removal.

I found a similar research showing that hair loss is related to gravity. the increase we see in DHT is the consequence of the forces on the scalp. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

Essentially it suggests that tension caused by the muscles around your scalp leads to restricted blood flow to the scalp and follicles, leading to male pattern balding. By injecting botox into the muscles that pull on the scalp, the tension is released and after a year of observation 75% of the ~50 men in the study had an 18% improvement in hair growth.

Nonsense. If a tight scalp or restricted blood flow were the reasons hair falls out then hair transplants wouldn't work. The transplanted hair would fall out and with FUT all of the hair on your head would fall out as you would now have a tighter scalp in the donor area as well. This is obviously not true. That doesn't mean I don't believe that there's a possibility that the botox injections may work. It could be that whatever is in it restricts DHT from affecting the hair follicles the same way finisteride does. I'm just saying their reasoning as to why it works is totally off.

The botox is injected into muscles in donor areas  at the back and sides and hair is regrowing on the scalp. 

Edited by Mark Wolfer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Nonsense. If a tight scalp or restricted blood flow were the reasons hair falls out then hair transplants wouldn't work. The transplanted hair would fall out and with FUT all of the hair on your head would fall out as you would now have a tighter scalp in the donor area as well. This is obviously not true. That doesn't mean I don't believe that there's a possibility that the botox injections may work. It could be that whatever is in it restricts DHT from affecting the hair follicles the same way finisteride does. I'm just saying their reasoning as to why it works is totally off.

I do not think it is a "nonsense".
with fut, the doctor remove skin while the underlying muscles are un- effected.
Botox relax muscles. 

Edited by duchaine

On 2/14/2020 at 1:33 AM, Mark Wolfer said:

Essentially it suggests that tension caused by the muscles around your scalp leads to restricted blood flow to the scalp and follicles, leading to male pattern balding. By injecting botox into the muscles that pull on the scalp, the tension is released and after a year of observation 75% of the ~50 men in the study had an 18% improvement in hair growth.

And where this took me personally is to whether this is a reason to choose FUE over FUT because of the loss of scalp elasticity from the strip removal.

But hold on there. If you transplant hairs through FUT in the same area as MPB follicles lost through tension from those muscles on the scalp , why dont the FUT follicles shed?? It doesnt add up at all.

Edited by killa

Disclaimer: I'm only about three months into my hair research journey so I'm not going to do well at making the arguments. However I can summarize what I've read:

From Rob English's (perfecthairhealth.com) book: "Chronic inflammation is the gun. DHT and TGF-β1 are the triggers. Fibrosis and calcification are the consequences. Chronic inflammation likely causes the arrival of DHT and TGF-β1, which over time, causes fibrosis and calcification... a consequence of which is hair follicle miniaturization (i.e., pattern hair loss). "

So then DHT and B1 possibly combine as an anti-inflammatory reaction.

Now back to your question... when you move a follicle that has been in a part of the scalp that doesn't get inflamed, to a part that has become inflamed... then two things happen:

1. The healthy follicle may actually make the immediate recipient area of the scalp healthier by increasing blood flow (think of the healthy follicle as sucking more blood into the area). Especially if the follicle came across with more healthy connective tissue.

2. If the recipient remains inflamed it "resets the clock" on the transplanted follicles that will slowly over time be affected by the inflamation leading to fibrosis and calcification and eventual miniaturization. If it took 20 years for your original follicles to start giving up, it may take a similar amount of time for your transplanted follicles to do the same.

Also it's fair to say that a lot of the early FUT transplants we saw brought in a lot of the surrounding connecting tissue along with the follicle which would fight off calcification and miniaturization longer. Nowadays with very precise FUE extracts basically bringing the follicle only into a new slit, that the hair may not last as long as the earlier FUT surgeries did.