Help on choosing the surgeon

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and did my research on HT and surgeons.

I'm in New York City, but I will be travelling to Europe in June and this is where I would like to have the surgery done.

I've sent pictures for online assessments to many top surgeons, but I was shocked realising the opinions were diametrically opposed in some cases.

So, until now these are the ones I've contacted and their opinions. I need your help because I'm more confused than before:

Dr. MARAS: won't do neither crown or hairline. Crown has too many hairs, hairline would look weird with only the temples done he said.

Dr. BISANGA: went pretty aggressive with a quote of 2300 grafts in the crown, 1000 on the hairline.

Eugenix India: said my hairs were good and dense. No need for a transplant.

DHI Thessaloniki: said they would do 400-700 grafts on the crown, because there are still a lot of hairs, and reconstruct the hairline.

Dr. Couto: no open online assessment at the moment and with a price tag of 5 euro per grafts is a bit too expensive.

Dr. Demirsoy: waiting for a quote.

Dr. Keser: waiting for an answer.

Dr. Bruno Ferreira: waiting for an answer.

Dr. De Freitas: waiting for an answer.

A bit of a background. I'm 32 years old, 33 in October. Been on finasteride for 7 years, stopped because it destroyed my health.

Current regimen is dermaneedling, scalp massages, deciem hair serum. I'm at the stage on thinking about my hairs everyday and getting concerned people will see my balding crown, so I would like to have the transplant done, but I'm scared of a bad outcome and to lose more hairs, due to shock loss.

Call me mad, but I like DHI results that they have on their website, along with their videos. Looks really natural. They told me the clinic in Thessaloniki is their best and the doctors are really good. The price is really appealing as well. But I've read the reviews aren't really good, are they?

I'm looking for a doctor doing most of the surgery, not a cattle farm in Turkey like Erdogan or Cinik. Someone really good reconstructing the crown.

Other surgeons suggestions are welcome. My pictures attached at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

54C94147-1C90-457C-8E3C-8BA15AC65E9D.jpeg

44CA1613-E033-41A6-A5D0-77C075CE8294.jpeg

5DFE8140-8C8B-46ED-BC6E-ADBE4E2B495F.jpeg

8A05FAD5-1CF8-4AAF-B3DA-73D244F055E1.jpeg

2C4F323B-998E-4024-97AE-6080034A8805.jpeg

Edited by Cristero

A few questions/comments:

1) Do you want FUE or FUT? I am guessing FUE from the fact you are travelling to Europe for this and some of those clinics are FUE only but just so it is clear, which is your preference?

2) What is your budget?

3) Why are Dr Feriduni and Hattingen Hair not on your list???? You should at the very least have a consult with Feriduni. Of all the doctors I consulted with, his was the best consultation. I didn't go with him in the end but he has a reputation of being very ethical, his clinic was great and he does very, very good work. Hattingen do Skype consultations (I went with them in the end).

4) You will be waiting a long, long time for an answer from Dr de Freitas and even then, the waiting list is about a century (it is literally years)

5) If it is FUE, why not get in touch with Dra Ximena Vila? She used to charge 2.5 euros a graft and worked in Lorenzo's clinic for years. She even did his hair transplant but has since parted ways and opened up her own clinic in Madrid. I haven't personally seen her work but I would check her out, definitely. Those are some credentials.

6) What is your family history?

Edited by TrixGlendevon

Thanks for your reply:

1- FUE

2- max 8k

3- I don't like Feriduni's work. I will contact the other clinic, I don't know them.

4- I imagined that.

5 - I will check her.

6 - Bad from my mom side (uncle and grandpa bold). Good from my dad side ( grandpa with lots of hairs, my dad still have hairs at almost 80 years old).

What would be your suggestion regarding DHI Thessaloniki?

I was looking somewhere in the southern part of Europe if possible, since I'm going there. So basically Spain, Portugal, Greece etc.

I am shocked that you say you don't like Feriduni's work which is consistently good and then have clinics like DHI on there (avoid is my suggestion, by the way)?! Either way, whether you like his work or not, you should have a consultation with him. It is very thorough, his ethical reputation is widely known and he will give you the baseline that you can judge the comments from in the in-person consultations with the other clinics.

It seems to me that you are choosing a clinic based on price and location, and those things, especially location, should not be deciding factors. I'd save up a little more and go to the best clinic for you (which may well still be one of those in your list) rather than going to them out of exogenous binding constraints.

Hattingen is in Switzerland. I didn't look into their FUE (which they do offer) because I wanted FUT but they do world class FUT and also mega sessions, like a European H&W. Do check them out - you can find their results on the German and French fora.

I got an estimate from Keser of 500 in the front, plus 500 on the crown, with the possibility of adding more on the crown.

I don't understand why such big difference with Bisanga, that sounded a bit too aggressive in my case.

29 minutes ago, Cristero said:

I'll send Feriduni an email as well. Let's see what he says.

You should. He charges for his consultations though - it is about 120 euros. Worth every cent though.

Just now, Cristero said:

I got an estimate from Keser of 500 in the front, plus 500 on the crown, with the possibility of adding more on the crown.

I don't understand why such big difference with Bisanga, that sounded a bit too aggressive in my case.

Bisanga has a reputation for that. Don't forget too, they are limited as to how accurate their assessment can be on photos. The in-person consultations will give you more accurate answers and estimates.

5 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

always been a big fan of Dr. Bisanga’s work

I wasn't insinuating he does bad work, just that he has a rep for quoting aggressive amounts of grafts. I never even consulted him in the end as his clinic didn't get back to my requests for a consultation when I was in Belgium visiting his competitors. 

I edited the initial post after being reached by Bisanga's customer service.

They did not guarantee I won't have a shock loss:

"Shockloss is unpredictable and there is no guarantee that shockloss will not occur. With an inperson consultation, Dr Bisanga can evaluate the strength of your native hairs in your crown which would influence if they were to grow back after shockloss or not."

Hey man,

I kinda agree with the Eugenix clinics response...that for your age looks like you don’t need an HT, I would say, stick to microneedling and your medication constantly and see how it goes after some more months (how long have you been microneedling btw?).

That said, From what I’ve seen of crown work, Dr Lorenzo, Dr Couto are fantastic with crown results, and I saw a video on YouTube of Dr Vila’s work and her crown work looks very good as well.

Hello @Cristero.  

As you mentioned Eugenix I had my own HT With Dr.Pradeep and Dr.Arika so I can say for certain you have reached out to excellent doctors .

For your information,

Dr.Pradeep is visiting Mexico , America and Canada to conduct free consultations for you or anyone else  considering a HT

Dr.Pradeep will be in New York from the 28th of Febuary,  so it's a good opportunity in my opinion to get an assessment from him.

Having said that, as they have said to you you have lots of hair and you should hold off on a HT, I would agree and take that advice and look at your situation in a few years.

Paddy

Edited by paddyirishman
Left out important information

@Cristero as other posters wrote it makes no sense including DHI Thessaloniki in your list of good Doctors. 
I would also include Dr. Pekiner and out of your list I would chose Dr. Bruno Ferreira without hesitating because Couto and De Freitas are both expensive and have long wait lists. 

Edited by Portugal25

Thanks everyone for your reply.

So keser said he can fill the crown, but not too dense, because he's scared of native hairs shock loss. So he said the crown won't look really full and whoever promise that is basically a liar.

I'm waiting for bruno ferreira and Ximena Vila reply and I will decide after their opinion.

I'm on a stage in which I'm thinking about my hairs all the time and I'm not happy with them. Probably waiting would be the best solution, but it requires a lot of effort of not thinking about something you see in the mirror everyday.

Eugenix told me get on finasteride, even if I told them I got destroyed by that poison.

I like the work of Bruno Ferreira as well, but he has only 3 cases on his website. Anyone knows more before/after pictures?

Thanks

@Cristero Ximena Villa has good results posted in the Spanish forum but she is doing 2 patients per day and for this reason I would chose @Dr. Bruno Ferreira instead. 
Dr. Keser has amazing results but I recently discovered that his approach is old school (doesn’t use a microscope) and he doesn’t share his work or mingle with other Doctors. 

30 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

@Cristero Ximena Villa has good results posted in the Spanish forum but she is doing 2 patients per day and for this reason I would chose @Dr. Bruno Ferreira instead. 
Dr. Keser has amazing results but I recently discovered that his approach is old school (doesn’t use a microscope) and he doesn’t share his work or mingle with other Doctors. 

Do you know where I can find more pictures of his before and after?

@Cristero he did post some results here but removed them and it problably has something to do with the fact that he works for Dr. Lorenzo at his clinic in Madrid. It will be difficult for you to see more results from Dr. Bruno but you can ask @Melvin-Moderator about him as I know he reccomends Dr. Bruno without hesitation.

Edited by Portugal25

3 hours ago, karatekid said:

Funny. when I consulted DR.Maras 2 years ago I got the same response, he rejected me for similar reason. Seems like he tends to reject patients more than other surgeons.

Who did you go with eventually?

@Melvin-Moderator do you have any before and after of Dr. Bruno Ferreira?

Edited by Cristero

2 hours ago, Cristero said:

Who did you go with eventually?

@Melvin-Moderator do you have any before and after of Dr. Bruno Ferreira?

I didnt do it eventually, I decided to postpone it for a while, and now it is the time. So Im researching here to find the best surgeon just like you.