Jump to content
Cristero

Help on choosing the surgeon

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Cristero said:

The first one has results a 

The first one is at 10 months a half for the hairline, and 7.5 a half for the vertex.

So I don't know where you saw 2 months a half.

I was getting that result I would have been quite pissed off. 

Sorry,  I saw (don't know why) another case.
The other case is a 2 session HT, 4 years apart.
the patient was happy with his first HT and, in fact, he went back to HLC. 
He has held the transplanted  hair even if he didn't use any medication or treatment.  He was a really bad case but the patient has improved.

I repeat: you can't get a 10/10 with every patient. To get a 10, you need a genetically gifted and very disciplined patient (the patient that takes medications, PRP, laser etc).

Edited by duchaine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update - HLC gave me an estimate of 2000-2500 grafts for the hairline and 1000-1400 for the crown.

This is definitely the worst plan of all the clinics contacted until now and makes absolutely no sense to me. Filling my temples with 2500 grafts it's a serious overkill.

Dr. Ximena Vila assistant told me the first available date for a consultation is October and the surgery roughly 8 months after. It's almost the same waiting list Couto gave me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update - Dr. Vila said I would need 1800-2000 grafts, which is the number I was expecting since the beginning. Problem is that she wants me on finasteride before and after the surgery and she wants me to go to Madrid for a face to face consultation.

Dr. Ferreira sent me a thorough examination of my case and he's been the best so far. Unfortunately he wants me on finasteride as well, starting from 6 months before the surgery. I replied to him saying I would rather do a second surgery later on, than taking that junk.

Dr. Michalis Georgiu quoted me for 2000-2500 grafts, and he didn't mention any necessity for me to be on drugs. Unfortunately I don't like his results.

 

I tried to push back with both Vila and Ferreira about finasteride and I'll see what they say. If they can't do without, I will have to look somewhere else.

In general, I'm fed up with this attitude of pushing patients to use finasteride, but I guess they just want to be sure not to have an unsuccessful case in their portfolio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cristero said:

Update - Dr. Vila said I would need 1800-2000 grafts, which is the number I was expecting since the beginning. Problem is that she wants me on finasteride before and after the surgery and she wants me to go to Madrid for a face to face consultation.

Dr. Ferreira sent me a thorough examination of my case and he's been the best so far. Unfortunately he wants me on finasteride as well, starting from 6 months before the surgery. I replied to him saying I would rather do a second surgery later on, than taking that junk.

Dr. Michalis Georgiu quoted me for 2000-2500 grafts, and he didn't mention any necessity for me to be on drugs. Unfortunately I don't like his results.

 

I tried to push back with both Vila and Ferreira about finasteride and I'll see what they say. If they can't do without, I will have to look somewhere else.

In general, I'm fed up with this attitude of pushing patients to use finasteride, but I guess they just want to be sure not to have an unsuccessful case in their portfolio.

Feriduni told me about post-finasteride syndrome, which I hadn't heard of before. I am also not up for taking meds. He told me I was sensible and that I shouldn't go on them unless absolutely essential. I would honestly consider an in-person consultation with him. Great results, very ethical and really knows his stuff. Online and picture assessments are only so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Feriduni told me about post-finasteride syndrome, which I hadn't heard of before. I am also not up for taking meds. He told me I was sensible and that I shouldn't go on them unless absolutely essential. I would honestly consider an in-person consultation with him. Great results, very ethical and really knows his stuff. Online and picture assessments are only so good.

I'm glad there are still surgeons like that. I don't know what other evidences they need to see to get convinced of the dangers of 5ar inhibitors drugs.

But as I said before, I checked his work on the Italian forum and I'm not a big fan. He's way too conservative and also a bit expensive. I would spend those money only for Couto.

But I take my hat off in front of doctors brave enough to warn against the danger of a castrating drug.

Edited by Cristero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 1:52 AM, Cristero said:

Update - Dr. Vila said I would need 1800-2000 grafts, which is the number I was expecting since the beginning. Problem is that she wants me on finasteride before and after the surgery and she wants me to go to Madrid for a face to face consultation.

Dr. Ferreira sent me a thorough examination of my case and he's been the best so far. Unfortunately he wants me on finasteride as well, starting from 6 months before the surgery. I replied to him saying I would rather do a second surgery later on, than taking that junk.

Dr. Michalis Georgiu quoted me for 2000-2500 grafts, and he didn't mention any necessity for me to be on drugs. Unfortunately I don't like his results.

 

I tried to push back with both Vila and Ferreira about finasteride and I'll see what they say. If they can't do without, I will have to look somewhere else.

In general, I'm fed up with this attitude of pushing patients to use finasteride, but I guess they just want to be sure not to have an unsuccessful case in their portfolio.

Cristero,
So, any news about who? What happened with Freitas? Did you get an estimate?

About Finas, I believe most doctors would recommend you to take it ... which is good for them so that the final result looks great... however, as you say, woould be great to find another way... and the best option would just go for a second surgery after a few years I think..

Hope you find the best fit for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OliverAtom said:

Cristero,
So, any news about who? What happened with Freitas? Did you get an estimate?

About Finas, I believe most doctors would recommend you to take it ... which is good for them so that the final result looks great... however, as you say, woould be great to find another way... and the best option would just go for a second surgery after a few years I think..

Hope you find the best fit for you!

Hey, I'm waiting for a quote from Freitas still.

I've also contacted Pekiner and waiting for his reply. The results he posted on the Italian forum are solid.

But, as I said, all the top surgeons wants me on finasteride, so I'm telling them I would rather have a second surgery than taking finasteride anymore.

So at the moment I'm waiting for Ferreira, Vila, Freitas and Pekiner thoughts on having the surgery without taking finasteride.

Dr. Michalis Georgiu gave me a good discount as well and he's willing to go on without me taking finasteride, but I don't like his results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cristero you will be in great hands with either @Dr. Bruno Ferreira, Pekiner, Freitas or Ximena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cristero I also had horrible side effects that ended up with me going by ambulance to the hospital but still I took that awful pill for 18 months (6 months before surgery to 12 months after surgery). Just bite the bullet and take the pill for 18 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

@Cristero I also had horrible side effects that ended up with me going by ambulance to the hospital but still I took that awful pill for 18 months (6 months before surgery to 12 months after surgery). Just bite the bullet and take the pill for 18 months. 

I became hypogonadal thanks to it and I'm on hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. It's not just about the side effect, it's about the long term issues the drug causes. Many men don't understand the importance of androgens for overall well being, it's not just about sex issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064044/

Also, if you stop it after 18 months as you're doing, you will go back to square one soon.

Edited by Cristero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only used for my first HT with Rahal in 2008 and never touched the dammed thing after 2009 (reason why my hairloss progressed to my crown, midscalp and even lost transplanted hairs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

I only used for my first HT with Rahal in 2008 and never touched the dammed thing after 2009 (reason why my hairloss progressed to my crown, midscalp and even lost transplanted hairs). 

Which means transplanted hairs are not immune from AGA, as many surgeons claims.

Edited by Cristero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cristero said:

Hey, I'm waiting for a quote from Freitas still.

I've also contacted Pekiner and waiting for his reply. The results he posted on the Italian forum are solid.

But, as I said, all the top surgeons wants me on finasteride, so I'm telling them I would rather have a second surgery than taking finasteride anymore.

So at the moment I'm waiting for Ferreira, Vila, Freitas and Pekiner thoughts on having the surgery without taking finasteride.

Dr. Michalis Georgiu gave me a good discount as well and he's willing to go on without me taking finasteride, but I don't like his results.

No, all the surgeons on your shortlist want you on it which is very different. I have already suggested you have in person consultations with Feriduni and Hattingen as the in person consultations are very different to video and photo ones.

11 hours ago, Cristero said:

I became hypogonadal thanks to it and I'm on hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. It's not just about the side effect, it's about the long term issues the drug causes. Many men don't understand the importance of androgens for overall well being, it's not just about sex issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064044/

Also, if you stop it after 18 months as you're doing, you will go back to square one soon.

Perfect response. I love how the masses on here, and other websites, that don't have medical degrees are so quick to say "just go on the meds" without having an understanding of what they do. Sheep. You're doing the right thing. Don't go back on them. 

11 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

@Cristero I also had horrible side effects that ended up with me going by ambulance to the hospital but still I took that awful pill for 18 months (6 months before surgery to 12 months after surgery). Just bite the bullet and take the pill for 18 months. 

What kind of ridiculous advice is that and how are you qualified to give it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

I have already suggested you have in person consultations with Feriduni and Hattingen as the in person consultations are very different to video and photo ones.

Hattingen told me the best thing would be to shave my head to see how I look like. If I wanted to shave my head and get away with it I would have done it already. About Feriduni, I've already said I don't like his results, sorry. And he doesn't come cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cristero said:

Hattingen told me the best thing would be to shave my head to see how I look like. If I wanted to shave my head and get away with it I would have done it already. About Feriduni, I've already said I don't like his results, sorry. And he doesn't come cheap.

Based off 1 link you shared from an Italian forum. For every 1 you don't like though, there are more than 10 that are good. He has been around that much and shared that many cases that of course you will find some you don't like. He is world class though.

Hattingen telling you to shave your head is just being ethical so you don't have irreversible surgery unless you are 100% sure - I don't see how you are counting this as being a bad thing. Just tell Sever that you are fixed on the fact you want the transplant and you really don't want to shave your head. Also world class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

What kind of ridiculous advice is that and how are you qualified to give it?

@TrixGlendevon I explained my side effects to several doctors and they all still insisted I went on finasteride claiming that side effects would go away but in my case it wasn’t mandatory for me to be on fin to be accepted for surgery. 
I’m not a doctor but it seems like the advice I gave is similar to what most doctors recommend and in @Cristero case he can actually be ruled out for not being on finasteride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked in with Pekiner eventually for the end of March. He had this opening and I thought now or never.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish you all the best @Cristero and look forward to read your results thread. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 6:26 PM, TrixGlendevon said:

Based off 1 link you shared from an Italian forum. For every 1 you don't like though, there are more than 10 that are good. He has been around that much and shared that many cases that of course you will find some you don't like. He is world class though.

Hattingen telling you to shave your head is just being ethical so you don't have irreversible surgery unless you are 100% sure - I don't see how you are counting this as being a bad thing. Just tell Sever that you are fixed on the fact you want the transplant and you really don't want to shave your head. Also world class.

+1 The fact that a surgeon suggest you shave your head shows their ethics, which is more than can be said about some of the other suggestions. I have been thoroughly impressed by Hattigen, and I must say that this solidifies for me that they are a great choice. Finding a surgeon who performs both FUE and FUT is also important. Surgeons who only perform FUE may not tell patients that they should go FUT when it is in their best interest. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cristero said:

Booked in with Pekiner eventually for the end of March. He had this opening and I thought now or never.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advices.

I would research a little further on this forum. Don't let time be your deciding factor. Just because a surgeon can squeeze you in faster, does not make them better. Wish you the best either way. Also, you need to realize some reps of certain doctors, also manage foreign forums, so take everything you see on these foreign forums with a grain of salt. Are you seeing fair, balanced, and objective results? Or are you seeing what the doctor and the reps want you to see? 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would research a little further on this forum. Don't let time be your deciding factor. Just because a surgeon can squeeze you in faster, does not make them better. Wish you the best either way. Also, you need to realize some reps of certain doctors, also manage foreign forums, so take everything you see on these foreign forums with a grain of salt. Are you seeing fair, balanced, and objective results? Or are you seeing what the doctor and the reps want you to see? 

I've searched enough and I've spoken personally to people who had surgery with him. They just said good things about him. 

I've looked into every single surgery he did, that were published online, and I liked all of his results, apart from two: one was a thread of a user that has published his story here and another one is an Italian guy who had a less than optimal result, but still a good one. All the others were really good. I've seen an amazing crown reconstructions by him and that's what I was more interested into.

Also there's a thread by an Italian guy who did 12 hair transplants (yes 12), one including the really expensive Dr. Wong. And he said Dr Pekiner was his last one and best so far.

More expensive doesn't mean always better by any chance. Pekiner seems to have all the requisites to do a good job: manual FUE, stick and place, split the surgery on more days and he uses high end equipment.

Then it's a surgery still, and God knows if it's gonna go all well or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cristero said:

I've searched enough and I've spoken personally to people who had surgery with him. They just said good things about him. 

I've looked into every single surgery he did, that were published online, and I liked all of his results, apart from two: one was a thread of a user that has published his story here and another one is an Italian guy who had a less than optimal result, but still a good one. All the others were really good. I've seen an amazing crown reconstructions by him and that's what I was more interested into.

Also there's a thread by an Italian guy who did 12 hair transplants (yes 12), one including the really expensive Dr. Wong. And he said Dr Pekiner was his last one and best so far.

More expensive doesn't mean always better by any chance. Pekiner seems to have all the requisites to do a good job: manual FUE, stick and place, split the surgery on more days and he uses high end equipment.

Then it's a surgery still, and God knows if it's gonna go all well or not.

You do realize his rep is Italian right. That’s why certain forums are flooded. Good marketing doesn’t equal good ethics. We no longer host topics discussing this surgeon, cause of questionable ethics.

Either way, wish you luck. Remember there’s no guarantee to surgery, ethical standards are important, in the event that the surgery may fail. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You do realize his rep is Italian right. That’s why certain forums are flooded. Good marketing doesn’t equal good ethics. We no longer host topics discussing this surgeon, cause of questionable ethics.

Either way, wish you luck. Remember there’s no guarantee to surgery, ethical standards are important, in the event that the surgery may fail. 

I've replied to you in a PM. Yes, I'm aware of the things you mentioned and I still don't think it's unethical to offer a discount to patients willing to showcase their case on a forum. He's a young surgeon trying to build up a name.

I'll report my experience if you wish when I'll be done. I won't have any issue reporting a bad case if I won't be satisfied and I'm usually quite picky with everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×