I am 32 year old, currently a NW3.  I originally planned on having a HT w/Dr. Diep.  He estimated that I would need around 1500-2000 grafts, FUE, to restore my hairline and I booked a date and made the non-refundable deposit.  However, recent  posts on the forum  made me concerned about his approach to one sided donor area extraction, over harvesting, and what appears to be increased trauma to the donor area relative to other surgeons performing FUE..  I began researching other surgeons and found Dr. Hasson from HnW.  An online consultation estimated me needing 2000-2500 grafts via FUE (I have had some increased thinning since my original consultation w/Dr. Diep).  From what I found, however, it appears that Dr. Hasson is somewhat hands off and allows his techs to do the majority of the work, although I may be misinformed on this.  I did find that to be concerning, however.  

Overall, I was wondering what the community's opinion is about each surgeon, and if I should choose one over the other

Thanks!!!

Personally, I’d go with hasson over diep. Mainly for some of the issues you brought up but I also prefer hassons designs.

however, if I was in your shoes i just wouldn’t look at two doctors even though these two are doing decent work. There are lots of doctors worldwide doing great hair transplants. Consult with many, be picky, ask lots of questions etc. don’t rush it

Your concerns aren’t unwarranted. The only difference between H&W and Dr. Diep is a technician extracts the grafts at H&W and Dr. Diep extracts the grafts himself. Technicians place the grafts at both clinics. Like it or not I am here to tell you that apart from a few doctors that are very involved in these procedures you are always going to entrust yourself to technicians although the techs at H&W are extremely well trained and probably do better work than most of the doctors in this horrible industry. If that makes you uneasy, some of the few highly experienced  doctors in North America who are well known for being involved not only in extracting the grafts but placing them along with their techs and monitoring the whole process are Dr. Konior, Dr. Gabel and Dr. Cooley. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

My suggestion is look up both surgeons on this forum, research real patient reviews. I agree with the above posts, don't just look at two surgeons, look at as many as possible, and consult with as many as possible. That said, everyone on the forum knows that my personal surgeon was Dr. Diep, so I can vouch for my personal experience, but don't take my word for it, talk to as many former patients as possible. Hope this helps and glad you found our forum.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.