Dr Diep FUE 1356 Grafts on Temples (NW2/3) [2-12-2020]

Tentpole91

Hey all!

First off, want to thank everyone on this board who has been immensely helpful in my hair loss journey to date. Been lurking for about two years now, and finally have an FUE tomorrow with Dr Diep. 1300 grafts, NW2/3 front pattern only. 

Outside of the normal instructions provided by clinic, do you guys have advice for key things to do over the next week during surgery and in recovery? I remember one person tying their hands to the bed to make sure they didn't scratch their scalp in their sleep. Is this actually a thing?

Edited by Tentpole91

4 hours ago, Tentpole91 said:

I remember one person tying their hands to the bed to make sure they didn't scratch their scalp in their sleep. Is this actually a thing?

That is some crazy dedication! If you have a laz boy recliner it makes sleeping a heck of a lot easier. I don’t, so for 5 nights I slept sitting upright at the end of the couch with my legs laying on an ottoman and a nice travel neck pillow. I also put a heavy box on the seat to my right so I wouldn’t roll over at night. I wasn’t as concerned with scratching my grafts as I was rolling over on them and damaging them. Sure enough I found myself waking up in the middle of the night trying to roll to my right by the box stopped me. The clinic I went to provided me with Xanax to help sleep which it definitely did but in general the first 5 nights sucked until I could sleep on my back in my bed. You need to find the best way to get some sleep while staying a little upright so the fluids go down and you don’t move over on your grafts. Other than that every clinic varies in post op instructions so just follow your doctor’s instructions to a T and you’ll be fine. Good luck with everything.

Edited by Sam818

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Tentpole91 said:

Hey all!

First off, want to thank everyone on this board who has been immensely helpful in my hair loss journey to date. Been lurking for about two years now, and finally have an FUE tomorrow with Dr Diep. 1300 grafts, NW2/3 front pattern only. 

Outside of the normal instructions provided by clinic, do you guys have advice for key things to do over the next week during surgery and in recovery? I remember one person tying their hands to the bed to make sure they didn't scratch their scalp in their sleep. Is this actually a thing?

I remember that thread, that is taking it way too far lol. Just sleep with the surgeons cap on, problem solved.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks guys. I ended up using all of the pillows at my hotel to make a 45° angle and used the provided Valium to help sleep. I didn't wake up once during the night.

One thing that seems odd to me is that I don't have any pain right now. The surgery was yesterday, it's currently 9am, and everything feels....fine. I'm certainly not complaining, though. 

Attaching a couple of pics. @Melvin-Moderator, if I want do do a more robust review should I put it in the "Hair Restoration Results Posted by Patients" forum?

Finally, one thing is that I noticed there is more regularity in the pattern for the implants on my right side. The sides were done by different members of the doctor's team.

Pre-Operation

pre-op-left-side.thumb.jpg.dbf0bf1952c81202edd0f6873f64ead4.jpgpre-op-right-side.thumb.jpg.8f677e2cd537ec2cffdc755b441f00ca.jpg

pre-op-forward.thumb.jpg.6ddba504065c0a0b6f7df0e0f69fe5ba.jpg

Immediately Post-Surgery

top-view-post.thumb.jpg.ee40f4638baa7737afa630d899e74ee6.jpg

right-view-post.thumb.jpg.71f9eceba619acc814bf7702d9061e0f.jpg

left-view-post.thumb.jpg.a4f841adf15bf6b66078f8edc4e9e538.jpg

right-view-post.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yea, 

I would appreciate if you created a robust thread of your experience in the patient review or surgeon review section. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, karatekid said:

Is it just me  or the grafts look ordered in really straight lines, seems unusual doesnt it?

No, mine was just like that. 

View my thread

Natural hair grows in randomly. Not in patterns. Lately, Dr Diep's techs have been implanting in rows for some unknown reason. There's a few results over the last couple of months that have been showing more of this. I had a transplant with him in 2017 and there was a slight row on one side in my hairline. There's some fine singles in front that slightly camoflouge it but I still notice it. The patterns are definitely getting more prominent in his recent work though. Just my two cents. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ruca2 said:

Natural hair grows in randomly. Not in patterns. Lately, Dr Diep's techs have been implanting in rows for some unknown reason. There's a few results over the last couple of months that have been showing more of this. I had a transplant with him in 2017 and there was a slight row on one side in my hairline. There's some fine singles in front that slightly camoflouge it but I still notice it. The patterns are definitely getting more prominent in his recent work though. Just my two cents. 

Did you share your results? I’d be interested to see your before and after photos.

View my thread

@Melvin-Moderator I didn't share my results. I had a small FUE from Bosley before finding this site. I then was led to Dr Diep by results posted here and his YouTube channel. From a macro perspective the transplant looks okay and the casual observer wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. However, I'm extremely detail oriented (picky and slightly a perfectionist) and can't help but notice major flaws. My donor looked bad. Punches were extremely large, bloody and he left a linear line at the bottom of the extraction zone that almost looked like an FUT scar. I had to have had smp to my donor. Some of his angles in the hairline were too perpendicular and when my hair is shorter it sticks awkwardly up. He did a small section on the temporal side were the hair should have been oriented down and forward. He placed them angled straight back. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, ruca2 said:

@Melvin-Moderator I didn't share my results. I had a small FUE from Bosley before finding this site. I then was led to Dr Diep by results posted here and his YouTube channel. From a macro perspective the transplant looks okay and the casual observer wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. However, I'm extremely detail oriented (picky and slightly a perfectionist) and can't help but notice major flaws. My donor looked bad. Punches were extremely large, bloody and he left a linear line at the bottom of the extraction zone that almost looked like an FUT scar. I had to have had smp to my donor. Some of his angles in the hairline were too perpendicular and when my hair is shorter it sticks awkwardly up. He did a small section on the temporal side were the hair should have been oriented down and forward. He placed them angled straight back. 

Why don’t you share your review separately. Sorry your not happy with your results. There’s a lot of happy patients on this forum, including myself, but it would be great to see what you’re talking about on a separate thread.

That said, let’s keep this thread back on topic. I think OP will be happy, it looks very similar to @FUEblonde1985 work. 

View my thread

5 hours ago, ruca2 said:

Doesn’t diep create the incisions? Techs just implant grafts into them 

• Administrators

Guys, 

Lets keep this thread on topic, if you feel a certain way or want to discuss something not pertaining to this patient, please open a separate thread and let’s discuss it.

Until then, let’s provide this patient support for having the courage to share his pictures and journey with us, he’s giving back to this community, something that not everyone does. His posts are what make this community invaluable to those researching.

• Like 1

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys, 

Lets keep this thread on topic, if you feel a certain way or want to discuss something not pertaining to this patient, please open a separate thread and let’s discuss it.

Until then, let’s provide this patient support for having the courage to share his pictures and journey with us, he’s giving back to this community, something that not everyone does. His posts are what make this community invaluable to those researching.

😂 passive aggressive much? Your comment is out of date though 😉

I agree though - keep it on track. Happy healing!

23 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

That doesn't mean it is not unusual. I think most of what Diep does is unusual.

Would love to know more about what you mean here - feel free to PM me so we can keep this thread on track. So far things have been healing nicely. @Melvin-Moderator can you move this thread to the right section or do you want me to re make it? 

Hey all,

Quick update on the state of the transplant (Day 5):

IMG_3256.thumb.jpg.898d41312570cf793a67d6f342e29b1b.jpg

IMG_3254.thumb.jpg.479ee01a55ccdd829406cf3e2d69114f.jpg

IMG_3253.thumb.jpg.4e549914d663a41c682974d158731a88.jpg

IMG_3255.thumb.jpg.c260caa9dbd6b474c8f61a5affc3125b.jpg

Overall the recovery has been solid. Pain has been fairly minimal, and my main pain point has been rolling around in my sleep. I am a hardcore stomach sleeper and have been building pillow forts + using a travel pillow to keep myself from rolling over. But it hasn't always been effective. 

The other thing I've worried about is how much baseline stress is OK while the grafts are healing. I am playing some Call of Duty in my downtime, which Dr. Diep has said is totally fine, but I'm limiting it because I don't want the stress to affect the healing process. 

Questions for you guys

1. Any suggestions for making sure I don't roll onto my stomach while sleeping? Am I totally fucked if that happens?

2. Have you received advice around minimizing any activity that gets your heart rate >90bpm, such as a video game? I have had a lot of time to kill but suppose I could lean more into Netflix..

Hey mate, looks good! Did Dr. Diep say why he only extracted from that area of your head? Normally I see surgeons extract lower down and expand round the sides of the head. Is it because you only had 1300 grafts and he is planning for any future procedures you may need? Good luck with the growing :)

Sorry for the delayed response! He extracted from that point because he had a specific density of extraction, and only needed to harvest from a certain percentage of the head. I believe this is a general practice of his that is not super consistent with other doctors. He also generally uses a larger punch size, so the donor won’t look as amazing as other doctors. His hypothesis, however, is that this approach leads to healthier and more successful graft in the transplant area.

Since there’s a lot of text, figured it might be helpful to summarize the key questions I shrill have:

1.  Is mild to moderate stress from games like call of duty OK to play during recovery for a few hours each day? 
2. Any suggestions to keep myself from rolling on stomach I’d travel pillow isn’t preventing?

3. Did anyone else experience a large amount of weight gain post surgery? 

43 minutes ago, Tentpole91 said:

Since there’s a lot of text, figured it might be helpful to summarize the key questions I shrill have:

1.  Is mild to moderate stress from games like call of duty OK to play during recovery for a few hours each day? 
2. Any suggestions to keep myself from rolling on stomach I’d travel pillow isn’t preventing?

3. Did anyone else experience a large amount of weight gain post surgery? 

1. Ask your doctor but I would say no problem at all. Life is more stressful than an online game.
2. Lots of pillows to keep your back up at an angle and then use a travel neck pillow for the first couple of weeks. Once you are 10-14 days in, the grafts are anchored and won't be coming out. Confirm with the doctor what the time period is for full anchorage at his clinic. 
3. Depends what you mean by large. I wasn't allowed to lift weights for 6 months, which is my main form of exercise, so I put some weight on, yes.

57 minutes ago, Tentpole91 said:

Sorry for the delayed response! He extracted from that point because he had a specific density of extraction, and only needed to harvest from a certain percentage of the head. I believe this is a general practice of his that is not super consistent with other doctors. He also generally uses a larger punch size, so the donor won’t look as amazing as other doctors. His hypothesis, however, is that this approach leads to healthier and more successful graft in the transplant area.

A bit of off-topic but if this is the case, why did you not just go FUT? You would have a scar in your donor anyway, but at least one confined to a pencil line area across the back of the head, but a lower transection rate and healthier more successful grafts for a cheaper rate.

My goal is to not have scarring on the back of the head that would be on par with FUT. If that ends up being the case, then I would consider the donor harvesting to have been a failure. And of course I would let you all know if that ends up being the case. 

4 hours ago, Tentpole91 said:

Makes sense to me, I've seen some amazing results from him. I was just curious about the reason why he does it that way thanks!

6 hours ago, Tentpole91 said:

My goal is to not have scarring on the back of the head that would be on par with FUT

Fue has far more scaring than fut btw