Singles: 536

Doubles: 1359

Triples: 854

Quadruples: 114

Quintuple: 4

Sextuple: 0

Introduction

Hi everyone,

After noticing my hairline had recessed at the age of 19/20 to around a norwood 2 - 3 diffusing pattern i decided to do something about it.

Long story short, at the age of 20, I ended up being coerced into a 1000 graft FUT surgery in 2015 to 'fix' this issue at a local clinic in my home city of Adelaide, South Australia. Instead of the amazing results I was promised, all that i had received was a pretty traumatic couple of days of surgery, an emptier bank account, a very sparse, poor excuse for a 'result' and a huge fut scar on the back of my head.

It has since been 5 years and after dealing with trying to hide the unnaturalness of the transplant result as well as leaving my hair long constantly to hide a massive fut scar that i was promised would be an 'unnoticeable pencil line'. I bit the bullet and had the fut scar revised wit a plastic surgeon in march 2019 and booked an fue surgery with ASMED clinic in Istanbul for February 2020.

Arrival Day 02/02/2020

After a 22 hour flight from Adelaide, Australia I arrived at the new Istanbul Airport, grabbed my bags and after a phone call from my patient coordinator Seda and a little confusion to navigate my way out of the airport I met with my driver Furkan. The van was very nice, spacious, comfortable with  snacks and bottles of water and also wifi which was a nice touch. The drive was around 40 minutes on the highway, Furkan was full of knowledge about Istanbul and he even stopped halfway and got me something to eat and drink which was really nice.  We arrived to the clinic (it was a sunday so relatively quiet) and i was taken up to my room. This is when you'll realize just how amazing the clinic is. Everything is so clean and well designed and everyone that works there is so nice. Once I arrived into my room i was messaged by Seda and told that there was no dinner made on sundays and that she will order me take out. After receiving pizza and a coke to my door I showered and was ready for bed for my consultation day. The rooms are very nice, equipped with your own ensuite, fridge, safe, tv and hospital bed.

Consultation

At 9:30am my coordinator, Seda knocked on my door ready to take me to my consultation. I first had my photos taken with dry hair, then a round with wet hair. then i was taken to another room where I had my bloodwork done and heart checked. We then went to Dr Korays office to meet and design my new hairline. I was actually really nervous to meet with the doctor but he is so welcoming and loved a good bit of banter which definitely settled me and made me feel relaxed. After measuring donor capacity, hair quality and micron of the hair it was time for the hairline design. Designing the new hairline was actually something I really enjoyed. Dr Koray first drew what he believed best suited me and then asked for my input. I was happy with his first design but wanted the left slightly lower to match the right and be more symmetrical so he was happy to address this and then we were finished with the design. I also asked about reinforcing my crown (he didn't believe this was necessary), reinforcing my temple peaks (which he agreed was a good idea for the future) and placing grafts into my fut scar (we discussed and settled on SMP)  2800 grafts was decided (2500 initially in the email consult) which i was happy with. After the design I was taken the to hair shaving room, this was very daunting for me because i had never shaved my head but felt relaxed as soon as i sat down. Once my head was shaved I was shocked purely because I actually didn't mind how I looked with a shaved head. After the shave I was taken in for more photos where Dr Koray drew the final design and made sure it looked perfect and then the final before photos were taken. After this i was then taken to the KE-Bot room which was really cool. I sat in a chair in front of a screen and a robot then scanned my head counting on the screen my singles, doubles, triples and so on. This takes about 10 minutes and once this was finished I was taken back to the shaving room where Dr Korays head Dr sectioned off the back of my donor zone and divided it evenly so each area is harvested according to how dense that area is etc. While this was happening, Dr Umud, the anaesthetist came in and discussed allergies to medication etc. Once this was complete, my head was washed, i was taken to the finance department to pay the remainder of the surgery and then the consultation day was complete. I returned to my room to a surgical gown and pants hanging up and a pair of crocs to wear for my surgery.

Surgery Day 

I was told to have a light breakfast and meet Seda at 7:20 in the common room outside the bedrooms. I was super nervous for my surgery and was given a xanax to take before hand, this helped calm me down a lot. I was taken to the hair shaving room where they shaved my hair again and washed my head thoroughly, after this i was taken to the surgery room. I sat up on a surgical bed and had my drip and pain killers placed then sat my head in the KE-Rest (which is awesome I don't know how I would've sat for that long without it), had my local anaesthetic and it was time for the extraction process. For something I was so scared about, it was actually really calming. i sat there with a blanket in front of a tv which live reads each graft removed and tells you how many singles, doubles, etc are being extracted. I slept through most of the extractions but when awake the feeling was somewhat like someone pressing lightly on the back of your head with their finger. Nothing painful like I was worried about. All that i can recommend is as soon as you start feeling anything let them know and they will give you more local. If this is left too long the local hurts so much and is honestly the worst pain you feel through the entire process. After the extractions were complete, the back of my head was bandaged and it was lunch time.

Lunch was awesome, meatballs and potatoes with rice, bread a salad and water. 

After lunch, Dr Koray came in and made the incisions, this process went relatively quick and as soon as he was done he wished me goodluck and his team started the placement of the grafts. the placement is the longest process but was still a pleasurable experience. Once this is complete, Dr Korays head Dr comes in and double checks (if there's any gaps she will extract, make the incision and fill the gap with grafts) then Dr Koray has a look to make sure everything looks good. I was taken to the SMP room where i had SMP performed on my FUT scar then taken for my post operative photos and then I was talked through how often to use the atp spray and ice pack and that was the end of my surgery day.

Day After Surgery

The day after surgery I was taken to the washroom where I had my wash and then given all my post op care. Once this was complete my driver came and got me from my room and took me to the airport for the long 22 hour flight home.

Before Photos

front.thumb.jpg.9c16d60e1c1f01391b94fc11afe93cb1.jpg

_DSC4959.thumb.JPG.0b2ad24b8d7a6204b65c4bc2a2be5705.JPG

_DSC4954.thumb.JPG.79b43c0a41faa4696d179372bc4a7c2c.JPG

_DSC4955.thumb.JPG.742323f136769a18904f44825ef833a4.JPG

_DSC4957.thumb.JPG.a8fd980f7c455b30369f0df0c00688d7.JPG

_DSC4958.thumb.JPG.10223acdb8e49050c179f5f83f919448.JPG

_DSC4956.thumb.JPG.acf208990f44cdccbca9431a3af3e1b3.JPG

Wet Hair

_1.thumb.JPG.78cb43daadd3fc86a239963469642ce0.JPG_DSC4961.thumb.JPG.fe3b05c71aaf6380dde07e6ece2add93.JPG_DSC4962.thumb.JPG.18258dd996f3fe0e6a42a3a202a0f033.JPG

Shaved With Hairline

1234537743_frontline.thumb.jpg.3028daf1661a1a2340bb4356f397285b.jpg

6329_Ust.thumb.JPG.2218293d51c63459488a94bd944549f6.JPG

6329_Sag.thumb.JPG.d9de5a47a46010f6e7d31608747de163.JPG6329_Sol.thumb.JPG.873546681fe9bf9a8f65eb9a1cb9b36b.JPG

6329_Arka.thumb.JPG.3049010aaf5302ac3576e73afae65e22.JPG

After

1142001553_frontpostop.thumb.jpg.e6e7bbf04f48e13c26bbaf2ff65f94ec.jpg_DSC5079.thumb.JPG.4e0455efedb46cf756fb8bf075abd417.JPG_DSC5073.thumb.JPG.aa0b6ae48679b98858eace35bdf07a77.JPG_DSC5074.thumb.JPG.0f0d6aa430707312dcef8ff709406e0c.JPG_DSC5078.thumb.JPG.e10250f176a2c77a3c7f22c3c94ec1af.JPG

My Tips

1. Get to know other patients

It was really refreshing talking to other guys that are going through the exact same thing as you. In my case there was a guy visiting for his third time and bouncing questions off of him really helped the rest of us more comfortable and not as worried about the whole process. I would also urge everyone to keep in contact through whatsapp because it is nice to bounce progress and swelling shots off of each other as well as discuss washing techniques etc. 

2. Ask as many questions as possible

Nothing is a stupid question. It's pretty daunting going to a different country for a surgery and I found that everyone there is more than happy to help. 

3. Stay over there as long as you can

I left the day after surgery and found that the swelling has increased a lot further than others that had much shorter flights. If you can stay for a week or so until the swelling goes away also if you can visit the clinic for washes, you'll find the whole recovery much easier.

Looking forward to seeing my results and what you think. Will post pictures as I hit each milestone! 

Thanks, 

NY

Edited by NYHairTrans

Looks good, with that level of loss I’m surprised you went to asmed. Kesser in turkey is way better with lower norwoods imo.

goodluck tho

Edited by Tbcruz

Asmed is a good clinic, Recently tho they haven’t been as impressive as they use too. But like I said they are a good clinic and your results should be good.

Hi

If I’m being totally honest...I don’t think you needed another HT, I think for 24 your hair looks very good, I would have advised to wait a few more years to see if your hair loss progressed further. That said, your write-up, the work and hairline/temple design looks very good and clean and wish you the best of luck with healing and progress, looking forward to your updates!

P.S. like a broken record...ive also advised others in the process of booking their HT to stay as long as possible to give the grafts the best chance and environment for survival, I stayed 2-weeks but even a week is worth it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hi

If I’m being totally honest...I don’t think you needed another HT, I think for 24 your hair looks very good, I would have advised to wait a few more years to see if your hair loss progressed further. That said, your write-up, the work and hairline/temple design looks very good and clean and wish you the best of luck with healing and progress, looking forward to your updates!

P.S. like a broken record...ive also advised others in the process of booking their HT to stay as long as possible to give the grafts the best chance and environment for survival, I stayed 2-weeks but even a week is worth it.

Hi CosmoKramer,

I wish i got a shorter haircut before travelling to ASMED so that the "before" showed a bit more of a true indication of what it looked like. I'll post photos of the 5 year after my first clinic op photos. The result was really sparse (especially when i wasn't on finasteride) making the temples look really thinned out and unnatural to the rest of my hair. You could really tell I had had a transplant. There were also doubles and triples in the hairline (had a co-worker say my hair looked like plugs) I agree looking at these photos it doesn't look like i really need a hair transplant. Having said that I'm wanting to style my hair in a way that exposes the hairline more and am sick of rocking that combed over, brushed forward fringe look to cover my hairline. Combine that with the front looking thinning in rain/swimming and worrying about wind. TBH I just wanted to fix a bad procedure and have a nice hairline while i'm still young. I understand getting near 3000 grafts at my age is a bit controversial, but given my donor capacity and my positive response to finasteride I was happy to move forward. Also in regards to waiting for progressed hairloss, my feeling towards that was i would rather have it addressed now and top it up with more procedures later on if i need so that it isn't such a drastic change to people around me (i have kept this procedure quiet). Waiting for progressed loss and suddenly growing a lot more hair was always going to be a dead giveaway for people around me. Having said that I appreciate the feedback and happy that you think my hair looked good before. Hopefully this means it will look great once everything grows in. 

And the plane ride was a killer! 22 hours of cabin pressure on a fresh transplant was far from ideal. it definitely accelerated my swelling. Especially when compared to the other guys that had procedures the same day as me. Ideally, if i did it again i would opt for a hotel close to the clinic until the 10 day mark and go in everyday for my wash a check. At least then you have the peace of mind everything is being done correctly and you can arrive home without the swelling. 

Thanks for your comment :)

Edited by NYHairTrans
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYHairTrans said:

Hi CosmoKramer,

I wish i got a shorter haircut before travelling to ASMED so that the "before" showed a bit more of a true indication of what it looked like. I'll post photos of the 5 year after my first clinic op photos. The result was really sparse (especially when i wasn't on finasteride) making the temples look really thinned out and unnatural to the rest of my hair. You could really tell I had had a transplant. There were also doubles and triples in the hairline (had a co-worker say my hair looked like plugs) I agree looking at these photos it doesn't look like i really need a hair transplant. Having said that I'm wanting to style my hair in a way that exposes the hairline more and am sick of rocking that combed over, brushed forward fringe look to cover my hairline. Combine that with the front looking thinning in rain/swimming and worrying about wind. TBH I just wanted to fix a bad procedure and have a nice hairline while i'm still young. I understand getting near 3000 grafts at my age is a bit controversial, but given my donor capacity and my positive response to finasteride I was happy to move forward. Also in regards to waiting for progressed hairloss, my feeling towards that was i would rather have it addressed now and top it up with more procedures later on if i need so that it isn't such a drastic change to people around me (i have kept this procedure quiet). Waiting for progressed loss and suddenly growing a lot more hair was always going to be a dead giveaway for people around me. Having said that I appreciate the feedback and happy that you think my hair looked good before. Hopefully this means it will look great once everything grows in. 

Thanks for your comment :)

Fair enough man, and I totally understand your reasoning, seems like you’ve thought it out well. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Here's a better look at my first HT results front on. The temples were the only thing operated on, nothing else and you can see the major density difference. You can imagine what it looked like if it was cut short enough that i wasn't able to cover these areas..... supposedly 1000 grafts too... 

84813753_492857081269423_666446398828314624_n.thumb.jpg.215322ce4c010e35ee88bd52599d819f.jpg84866060_618654948706772_21611571058835456_n.thumb.jpg.227afeb56d8c5b3039623943f8af937d.jpg

Cosmo made some good points.  Glad you are pleased.  You’re pretty young to already have had two surgeries.  Glad you went with FUE this time however.  

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yea it looks good 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:52 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Hi

Agree with CosmoKramer here, I dont think you needed a new HT. Being just 24 and with other HT already done (even it was just the temples) I would have waited till at least 30. Didnt in ASMED advised you to wait a few years?

That been said, I envy that hairs of yours and your donor, woww!!! And now with that new hairline and temples, you are gonna look too good bro 😎

23 hours ago, OliverAtom said:

Agree with CosmoKramer here, I dont think you needed a new HT. Being just 24 and with other HT already done (even it was just the temples) I would have waited till at least 30. Didnt in ASMED advised you to wait a few years?

That been said, I envy that hairs of yours and your donor, woww!!! And now with that new hairline and temples, you are gonna look too good bro 😎

Yeah I agree although my first transplant was a fail (guessing below a third of grafts survived if I did in fact receive 1000 grafts) and this one was technically a repair. Clinic were happy moving forward considering my response to finasteride plus my intention to continue taking it as well as my large donor capacity. Also the fact that I was always self conscious and lacked confidence due to my hairline/failed first HT made me not want to wait 4 years when I could just do it now. Even at 10 days my hairline shaved just frames my face a lot better and makes my forehead look in proportion etc. Already gaining confidence when it looks that good shaved. 

Thanks for the feedback man appreciate it. Starting to shed a bit now and looking patchy and uneven. Looked better at 10 days then it does now 😂. Very excited for the final result! 

Edited by NYHairTrans
  • Like 1

Love the design it really suits you. Those are some chunky temples there! I always say asmed is underrated with their temples they do a good job there where most clinics are too scared to touch them. Good luck with everything and grow well!

15 hours ago, Sam818 said:

Love the design it really suits you. Those are some chunky temples there! I always say asmed is underrated with their temples they do a good job there where most clinics are too scared to touch them. Good luck with everything and grow well!

Thanks @Sam818 really appreciate it. Always been a fan of reinforcing the temples. IMO only working on the hairline can look like a toupee once the temples recede later on so thought I’d get them done. Clinic were more than happy! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, NYHairTrans said:

Yeah I agree although my first transplant was a fail (guessing below a third of grafts survived if I did in fact receive 1000 grafts) and this one was technically a repair. Clinic were happy moving forward considering my response to finasteride plus my intention to continue taking it as well as my large donor capacity. Also the fact that I was always self conscious and lacked confidence due to my hairline/failed first HT made me not want to wait 4 years when I could just do it now. Even at 10 days my hairline shaved just frames my face a lot better and makes my forehead look in proportion etc. Already gaining confidence when it looks that good shaved. 

Thanks for the feedback man appreciate it. Starting to shed a bit now and looking patchy and uneven. Looked better at 10 days then it does now 😂. Very excited for the final result! 

I will be following... cant wait for new photos!!!

Looks great. I also have a nasty 10 inch scar at he back of my head after undergoing 2 HTS with Dr Hummayun who is no longer on this forum. I am too looking at the same Dr to see if he can help me out. I will also be posting my latest pics as to how my HT looks after 13 years since 2007. I have been off the scene for a few years and have decided to come back and share my experiences with other members.. 

8 hours ago, Abby said:

Looks great. I also have a nasty 10 inch scar at he back of my head after undergoing 2 HTS with Dr Hummayun who is no longer on this forum. I am too looking at the same Dr to see if he can help me out. I will also be posting my latest pics as to how my HT looks after 13 years since 2007. I have been off the scene for a few years and have decided to come back and share my experiences with other members.. 

Hi @Abby bad luck about the scar. Biggest regret has been the fact that I opted for an unskilled dr that I didn’t do enough research on and trusting that what he told me. I asked Dr Koray about implantation into the scar and he was more than happy to do so but he said if I had work done to the front it isn’t ideal because I can’t sleep laying on my grafts. I think I’ll eventually go back and get the scar covered as well. It’s an awesome clinic. Hopefully they can help you out!  

1 month photos. Shedding has well and truly set in! Have got shock loss in the mid scalp, crown area and thinner donor site but have been assured that it’s normal and will thicken up again after some time. 

Bright indoor light

CCE866C1-B4F4-43F2-AB83-D823A17C5A55.thumb.jpeg.e14ff9e08f319a1e77c3d426237994c6.jpeg

CFADB3DA-78A3-4C8A-B072-D050DE7A2628.thumb.jpeg.6d1026b10ed10dad67912b9f9047de13.jpeg

2FB91C58-3203-426C-897F-18A1A8FBA2D2.thumb.jpeg.5c5a5330d31467d0e8ac40c5f989a13b.jpeg

Daylight

8B88FC69-E26D-474E-987D-E2C726B2D6BC.thumb.jpeg.2e91526347b3295cfa20d11d3fad5a0a.jpeg

FUT Scar

772776BC-ADDB-4BDE-A082-C5F337B03F37.thumb.jpeg.eff20aaa3e8f5a94aafa1898653b7b5f.jpeg

Edited by NYHairTrans

I don't understand why you needed to have another procedure. You had a really good result. HT framed your face really well.

Not sure if this clinic has enough experience implanting into donor scars

Did the clinic say how many grafts you have left? 

Edited by Hairgod

33 minutes ago, Hairgod said:

I don't understand why you needed to have another procedure. You had a really good result. HT framed your face really well.

Not sure if this clinic has enough experience implanting into donor scars

Did the clinic say how many grafts you have left? 

Hi @Hairgod appreciate the comment. I don’t think the first HT was good at all. If you see the post here of my first transplant result you’ll see the density was a major issue. Temples were the only thing operated on. For 1000 grafts supposedly, Density was unbelievably poor. Hairline design was ok, I agree with that. Photos are deceiving given I swept my hair in a way that would cover the less dense areas. If I pulled my hair back exposing the hairline it looked really terrible, would’ve preferred to have just never had grafts placed there in the first place and not to mention the place meant of doubles even tripled in my hairline. Overall it was just a really really poor job. 

Clinic has performed quite a few procedures placing grafts into FUT scars and results are good. 

Yes I should have around 7000 grafts still available in my donor zone 

These photos should show you a bit more about my first HT. They were taken 3 years after it. 

475D2CFE-09BF-4AFE-A1B6-DD3E38D8B0E4.thumb.jpeg.86c1f881835639cac3b4633de04e8788.jpegAF6FA2D3-E43B-46C9-9329-2C477C47612B.thumb.jpeg.38bb8d8a925dca6d808ab35c7d0ec689.jpeg78004557-B67D-43F0-BB3E-E5187BC6679C.thumb.jpeg.5723af605d4c3541701ac026d5bab7ac.jpeg903CBED0-9E70-4D91-93E2-D48258BE750F.thumb.jpeg.931cffba4568b625a362f2b32ae88173.jpeg

Keeping in mind these were the only areas operated on 

0AC39FB9-2B65-4006-A39B-2C4174FA2FC1.thumb.jpeg.7bd460f754f7892c5a18eb1d64caa669.jpeg7475417E-72D9-4906-8C87-1A226305E1FB.thumb.jpeg.eb898c46efb7fcd854baee9370a0d513.jpeg

For 1000 grafts, that is a really poor result with a huge level of scarring for such a small area to fill in