Looking for a FUE doctor

I am located in New York but everyone I contacted is charging about $8-10 per graft so I am thinking to go to Turkey.

In 2013 when I was 26 I got 1,200 grafts on my hairline (photo attached) as it was receding. I got it done via FUE Neograft.

Now I am 33 and in the last year my scalp has gotten noticeably thin and I am tired of doing a comb over because for while it did the trick but now its gotten worse and hard to hide. Here are some photos. Also I was born with 2 cowlicks.

I emailed Dr. Koray Erdogan and his assistant gave me a questionnaire and the vibe I got was that if I dont agree to take Finasteride then he wont do the procedure. I dont want to be on Fina as I know people that have had bad side effects. I thought the whole point of a transplant is to finally forget about hair issues not to continue Fina after getting it done.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

@bigtyivier2k2 I advise you to read more about recent results from surgeries at Asmed. Check @munich results below:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/53605-3000-grafts-dr-koray-erdogan-asmed-17082018/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-530811

Asmed is a clinic that does surgery on 8 patients per day and if Dr. Koray is there you will probably just get a handshake. 

If you do insist on going all the way to Turkey then go to the best in Turkey! These are doctors that do the whole surgery and use the same technique as Dr. Raymond Konior (stick&place).
Dr. Keser (3.5€/graft) although he might not accept you because he does a maximum of 2400 grafts per surgery. Dr. Pekiner (2.15€/graft) but he may reject you if you have miniaturized grafts (take a thricogram to be sure) and HLC Ankara. 

Since you are from NY I would advise to talk with Dr. Bruno Ferreira he is the medical assistant of Dr. Lorenzo in Madrid (top FUE in the world) but also has his own clinic in Porto where he charges 2.5€/graft. It’s a direct 7h flight from NY and much trendier city than desolate Ankara. 

Edited by Portugal25

@portugal25 I was actually looking at HLC Ankara the results seem really good! Is Ankara a bad area?

I thought Erdogan was the best and does the procedure himself?

My friend had 4,000 grafts done with Dr.Cinik this past summer but it was with Cinik’a assistants and while its filling in, the crown area looks thinning. If I didnt know him I would think his crown is thinning as opposed to a man who got a transplant. 

I want a FUE where you cant see my scalp and I also wont want to be taking Fina etc. I want to have hair transplant and forget about it kinda thing. I dont mind higher end Turkey prices but American prices are around $8-10 per graft which is too much

• Administrators

In my honest opinion, you are probably better off going strip first, which would eliminate Turkey. I would consider Dr. Rahal, Hasson and Wong, Dr. Gabel, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Glenn Charles, Dr. Bloxham, True and Dorin and Dr. Carlos Wesley. 

You're better off maximizing grafts with FUT and then finishing off with FUE

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@bigtyivier2k2 Ankara is not a bad area because it’s a very safe place but it’s a totally unappealing area (nothing to see or do and nobody speaks English) and not trendy like Porto where there’s lots to see and everyone speaks English (our TV and Cinema is in English with subtitles and the Radio is always playing the most recent English hits)

Cinik is a low cost all inclusive clinic where technicians (not Doctors or nurses) do most if not all of the surgery. Results at Cinik depend on the tech team you get and they have several patients per day. 

Your hairloss is advanced and you are still young which means it will progress further especially if you don`t take finasteride. I didn`t take finasteride since I had my first HT when I was 25 years old and I lost all the hair in my crown and midscalp.

For this reason Melvin has advised you to maximize your donor area by doing a FUT strip surgery first.

Konior, Hasson&Wong and Feriduni are doing great strip surgeries. 

Edited by Portugal25

1 hour ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Why FUT? I dont want to have a scar on my head as I love fade haircuts

Skin tight Fades are all I ever got but I went with fut to get the most out of my donor and I will still rock a fade just not that high or that low but it’s a trade off that I think is worth it. 

Fue or smp into scar will help to go lower as well. 

7 hours ago, Tbcruz said:

Skin tight Fades are all I ever got but I went with fut to get the most out of my donor and I will still rock a fade just not that high or that low but it’s a trade off that I think is worth it. 

Fue or smp into scar will help to go lower as well. 

Howcome FUT gets more grafts then FUR?

8 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

@bigtyivier2k2 Ankara is not a bad area because it’s a very safe place but it’s a totally unappealing area (nothing to see or do and nobody speaks English) and not trendy like Porto where there’s lots to see and everyone speaks English (our TV and Cinema is in English with subtitles and the Radio is always playing the most recent English hits)

Cinik is a low cost all inclusive clinic where technicians (not Doctors or nurses) do most if not all of the surgery. Results at Cinik depend on the tech team you get and they have several patients per day. 

Your hairloss is advanced and you are still young which means it will progress further especially if you don`t take finasteride. I didn`t take finasteride since I had my first HT when I was 25 years old and I lost all the hair in my crown and midscalp.

For this reason Melvin has advised you to maximize your donor area by doing a FUT strip surgery first.

Konior, Hasson&Wong and Feriduni are doing great strip surgeries. 

Arent Tech’s experienced in this field? When I got my hairline done years ago when I was 25 with Dr. Dibernardo in New Jersey he drew up the hairline but it was technicians for Neograft (I believe they came from Texas) who did the procedure.

At 33 years of age Im not that young in terms of balding as I know people whove been bald since their 20’s.

Isnt the whole point of transplants is that the hair being transplanted isnt susceptible to DHT this way it doesn’t fall out when placed on the top of your head? In that case I do not understand why Fina is still recommended?

Ive known 2 people who used Fina. One was very depressed from it and the other had libido and sex issues. Doesnt seem worth it to me. 

I always understood the point of hair transplants were to pay for a procedure that will give you a head of hair for life. What am I missing here?

Edited by bigtyivier2k2

9 hours ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Why FUT? I dont want to have a scar on my head as I love fade haircuts

I agree with you, I would also prefer FUE than FUE due to the scar but in this case... Melvin might be right. And if you go to the right clinic, the scar might be almost invisible.

I would schedule consults with different doctors both FUE and FUE experts and see what they have to say. What I do not recommend is going to Turkey, going cheap might end up being too expensive : (

58 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Howcome FUT gets more grafts then FUR?

Fue will thin/damage out your donor every time you get it done. With fut it does not thin your donor and less damage to your donor. Which means once tapped out of fut you can always go fue to fine tune things or finish up hair loss without affecting the density of your donor.

The obvious also being better result fut because grafts are not damaged as much being removed from donor. Not saying you can’t get good results fue. But if were a betting man (which I am lol) I would gamble on fut for a better result (with a great surgeon obviously)

Edited by Tbcruz

@bigtyivier2k2 if you have already had FUE then your strip donor area has probably already been harvested. Obviously not much due to the low volume grafts you had but enough to maybe rule you out of FUT.

@OliverAtom why do you say to stay away from Turkey? I ask this because one the best hairlines reconstructions at HRN belong to Dr. Keser in Turkey and he is not cheap (3.5€/graft). To have 2400 graft surgery with him will cost 4x more than going to all inclusive Dr. Cinik.
Maybe you meant to say he should stay clear of Turkish hairmills and low cost all inclusive clinics because Turkey is the world capital of botched HT surgeries (but also home of some of the best FUE docs).

This is what you get when you go to the best in Turkey (very hard to beat in my opinion):

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/51435-dr-muttalip-keser-1330-400-grafts-122016-052018/?tab=comments#comment-475019

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/53314-dr-keser-ӏ-1700-grafts-fue/?tab=comments#comment-494719

Edited by Portugal25

• Administrators

You are young, and have a lot of hair to lose, you will maximize your donor by going strip first, and then FUE later. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

19 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

Asmed is a clinic that does surgery on 8 patients per day and if Dr. Koray is there you will probably just get a handshake. 

lol

2 hours ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Isnt the whole point of transplants is that the hair being transplanted isnt susceptible to DHT this way it doesn’t fall out when placed on the top of your head? In that case I do not understand why Fina is still recommended?

I always understood the point of hair transplants were to pay for a procedure that will give you a head of hair for life. What am I missing here?

Donor is never 100% safe.  In fact, the FUE donor 'area' is not even the same as the donor zone established in the 1950s by Dr. Norman Orentreich.

You are a NW5 likely to go NW6 so the meds would stop you ending up with an island of hair on top surrounded by bare scalp.

Your donor looks a bit thin, maybe a bit overharvested but hard to tell due to the slightly fuzzy photo.  

I think you're probably best sticking with FUE so long as your expectations are in check.  Maybe look at Mike Vories who is nearer the $5 a graft and does the work himself.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

56 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

lol

Donor is never 100% safe.  In fact, the FUE donor 'area' is not even the same as the donor zone established in the 1950s by Dr. Norman Orentreich.

You are a NW5 likely to go NW6 so the meds would stop you ending up with an island of hair on top surrounded by bare scalp.

Your donor looks a bit thin, maybe a bit overharvested but hard to tell due to the slightly fuzzy photo.  

I think you're probably best sticking with FUE so long as your expectations are in check.  Maybe look at Mike Vories who is nearer the $5 a graft and does the work himself.

Why Mike Vories out of everyone?

I was thinking HLC Ankara

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Who does the majority of the work? Will it be the surgeon or some young nameless tech? Are you looking at real patient reviews on r just buying in to commercial hype. Really ask yourself these questions. 

View my thread

@bigtyivier2k2 HLC Ankara has patients posting great results but they have 6 doctors and you don’t know which doctor will do your surgery.
However, it’s the best clinic in Turkey because all 6 Doctors are doing just 1 patient per day with stick&place. 

1 hour ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

It's his name on the door so he has an incentive to get it right.

Not familiar with HLC tbh

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

54 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

Anyone recommend Dr.Diep from California?

@Gasthoerer pointed out some irregularities in Dr. Diep hairlines.