3 years after 2 hair transplants. Lost hair and receding sides

i strongly recommend that you have the entire donor zone microscopically examined to see how DHT is impacting that area...it's very possible that some of the grafts from your past procedures were DHT receptive.

Also, it appears that you have lost a fair amount of native hair since then.

My premonition is that you have class 7s in your family history?

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

i strongly recommend that you have the entire donor zone microscopically examined to see how DHT is impacting that area...it's very possible that some of the grafts from your past procedures were DHT receptive.

Also, it appears that you have lost a fair amount of native hair since then.

My premonition is that you have class 7s in your family history?

I am 100% positive that some of them were DHT receptive. Mainly those that were taken from the sides or the upper back donor area.

I didn't have much native hair in the first place... But I guess most of what I did have has already been lost.

Regarding to my family - funny enough (or sad), I have 2 brothers none of them suffer hairloss. My father didnt bald. Now his hair is thinning but he is 65. My cousins all of them has full head of hair. Their sons too. I am not lucky as you see.

My grandpa had thin hair but he was old. In his youth he didn't have a balding problem. However, I think his brother was NW 7 (but as an old man. I didn't see how he looked at his 30's or 40's)

Edited by dobler

How interesting!...both of my brothers had full heads of hair, my father too.

It was my maternal grandfather who was a true full blown Norwood 6 and my uncle as well...my mother also had considerable thinning hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Looks like you are looking native hair...you had some there, enough to make a difference. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, dobler said:

Probably, but there are things that are more important than hair. When I was on Fin for 6 months, my body was completely messed up. Brain-wise, semen-wise, hormon-wise. I felt like crap, and this was a nightmare. I am never going to take it again.

Edited by jolly

10 minutes ago, jolly said:

exactly that i keep telling guys to stay away from finasteride .... but it seems hair is more important than body and some are willing to take the risk ..... not wise in my opinion and also i do not believe that hair transplants survive more than 5 years , you surely lost frontal density over 3 years as the pic is obvious , your hair was pretty thick after the results cam in ... now its lost quiet a bit of density in my honest opinion .

And these photos are from 9 months ago. It looks much worse now...

19 minutes ago, dobler said:

And these photos are from 9 months ago. It looks much worse now...

its becoming very common on the forum , many guys are complaining that transplants are falling out within 3 to 5 years , imagine spending a fortune and then waiting 12 months for the results only to enjoy them for just 3 years , then the density disappears and we are left with gaps that look and feel awful  ..... we need a serious cure for this curse .

49 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

I'm sorry, what are you basing this assumption on?

not assuming , i have been through it myself and now i find that im not the only one  , many members here have reported this phenomenon some say unsafe zone , some say medicines , yet i have seen members who had taken their grafts from the safe zones and were also on medicine ... then can u explain why their grafts fell out after some years , and mind you there are a lot more people outside this site that also complain similar experiences . Although i would be glad to know the REAL cause myself as I am also looking for answers and a cure , btw I even had surgery when i was 39 so unstable donor was also ruled out and i had even got a biopsy done for miniaturization ... all normal reports .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jolly said:

its becoming very common on the forum , many guys are complaining that transplants are falling out within 3 to 5 years , imagine spending a fortune and then waiting 12 months for the results only to enjoy them for just 3 years , then the density disappears and we are left with gaps that look and feel awful  ..... we need a serious cure for this curse .

Yep, and the worst thing is that people come back for a 2nd and 3rd procedure, which will end with the same results and a scarred donor

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jolly said:

not assuming , i have been through it myself and now i find that im not the only one  , many members here have reported this phenomenon some say unsafe zone , some say medicines , yet i have seen members who had taken their grafts from the safe zones and were also on medicine ... then can u explain why their grafts fell out after some years , and mind you there are a lot more people outside this site that also complain similar experiences . Although i would be glad to know the REAL cause myself as I am also looking for answers and a cure , btw I even had surgery when i was 39 so unstable donor was also ruled out and i had even got a biopsy done for miniaturization ... all normal reports .

All of this strengthens my assumption even more --> the area is the problem, not the hairs.

A hair in the back of the head will survive forever. If you move it to the front, it will die very soon.

Edited by dobler

@dobler and @jolly, while I'm empathetic to your situation, I'm really sorry you guys lost ground after your HTs, I don't think it could be applied as a general rule. The vast majority of HT patients will not lose their transplanted hair.

1 hour ago, dobler said:

All of this strengthens my assumption even more --> the area is the problem, not the hairs.

A hair in the back of the head will survive forever. If you move it to the front, it will die very soon.

I guess the only way to be 100% certain of this is to transplant thinning hair from the front to your back, but there will never be such a study.

However there's no such thing as a universal safe zone unfortunately, Melvin posted a great video on this, everyone's donor area will thin out to some degree as we age.

Then there's the problem of losing native hairs (your case imho). Or something like DUPA. 

Some of the transplanted hair will thin out over a very long period of time due to what I mentioned earlier, but most will be retained. 

3 hours ago, jolly said:

exactly that i keep telling guys to stay away from finasteride .... but it seems hair is more important than body and some are willing to take the risk ..... not wise in my opinion and also i do not believe that hair transplants survive more than 5 years

3 hours ago, jolly said:

its becoming very common on the forum , many guys are complaining that transplants are falling out within 3 to 5 years

1 hour ago, jolly said:

not assuming , i have been through it myself and now i find that im not the only one  , many members here have reported this phenomenon some say unsafe zone , some say medicines

You are pretty pessimistic when it comes to everything hair restoration, meds are too risky and transplanted hair falls out within a few years. I can understand how having a bad personal experience and reading about some similar situations from some others could lead someone down that road.

But if the meds and transplants were really that bad I would expect to be reading alot more about it here on the forum and elsewhere. And I don't see how clinics could stay in business promising permanent solutions when their work is being nullified within a few years.

My own personal experience is the opposite of yours, and probably more representative of the general patient population. I've had two transplants, the most recent about 10 years ago and I still have the hair from those procedures in my frontal region. And I've been on finasteride too without side effects to help maintain my mid and crown areas.

If there are many forum members here that have had your experience I would need to see a thread started with picture documentation to start to change my mind. Anybody that's been on this forum for a while knows how hair loss in general can play tricks on the mind, all the first time posters with pictures and paranoid stories asking for someone to confirm their suspicion that they are actually losing their hair, etc.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jolly said:

exactly that i keep telling guys to stay away from finasteride .... but it seems hair is more important than body and some are willing to take the risk ..... not wise in my opinion and also i do not believe that hair transplants survive more than 5 years , you surely lost frontal density over 3 years as the pic is obvious , your hair was pretty thick after the results cam in ... now its lost quiet a bit of density in my honest opinion .

My transplanted hairs from five years ago are still in place.

• Like 2

Well, no one said it's relevant to every one :)

Each one responds differently. I guess I am just unlucky. Because the result were amazing, after 1-2 years. I was so happy.

Then I woke up from my dream and came back to reality hell.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, dobler said:

Well, no one said it's relevant to every one :)

Each one responds differently. I guess I am just unlucky. Because the result were amazing, after 1-2 years. I was so happy.

Then I woke up from my dream and came back to reality hell.

I feel for you, that’s awful 😞 especially if the results held for a couple of years.

How about trying a topical antiandrogen then? 

Frankly, it's not as bad as it looks to you, I know it must hurt looking back how great it was years ago. :(  But I honestly think you lost your natives only.

Right now the most important thing is to stabilize things, not let those lateral humps disappear in my humble opinion. 

28 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

How about trying a topical antiandrogen then? 

Frankly, it's not as bad as it looks to you, I know it must hurt looking back how great it was years ago. :(  But I honestly think you lost your natives only.

Right now the most important thing is to stabilize things, not let those lateral humps disappear in my humble opinion. 

It looks much worse today. These photos are from  9 months ago.

• Administrators

Do you have pictures of the graft placement, I’d say your hair looks the same, except shorter.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do you have pictures of the graft placement, I’d say your hair looks the same, except shorter.

I do have them. But it will expose the clinic, which I have nothing against, and I would not like to cause any harm to.

But no way I am the same, trust me. I lost 50-60% of the hairs. My hairline is completely broken, and the graft placement photos indicate a thick new hair line constructed in the 1st HT.

Edited by dobler