Anyone give me tips on Derma rolling ?

Coady

Hey guys 

Ive been using Regaine, finasteride, biotin, multivitamins and Nizoral shampoo.

thinking of starting Derma rolling.

What size needle would be best to use?

how often should you do it a week?

Whats the best Derma roller brand to buy and where can I get it?

i use regaine every day so what’s the best day to Derma roll or can u do 1 after another?  

13 minutes ago, Coady said:

Hey thanks for your reply 

how long would you have to wait to apply minoxidil after ? 

If you are not afraid about systemic effect,. tight after DR-
If you are, wait one day and apply something else after DR.
I would go for topical fina or duta-
A "natural" solution is castor oil.

Like could I Derma roll at 8 pm on a Monday night then put minoxidil on at 8a the next day Monday ?? Would that be ok with 1 mom Derma? 

Do you have to apply something after Derma roll or is it ok to leave the scalp dry ? 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:51 PM, Coady said:

Like could I Derma roll at 8 pm on a Monday night then put minoxidil on at 8a the next day Monday ?? Would that be ok with 1 mom Derma? 

Do you have to apply something after Derma roll or is it ok to leave the scalp dry ? 

Good info from @duchaine

As for your Minox question...you have to use Minoxidil daily at least once a day for it to work especially in conjunction with microneedling if you want to see results, but wait at least a few hours after microneedling to apply it or 12-24 hours.

8 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Check out all the posts on my microneedling thread...the answers are there 🙂

Thank you for your reply.

i have read your thread and found it very useful. 

I see you are using a pen. I bought a Derma roller set for skin would that have the same affect ?

planning my routine to be 

Monday - morning minoxidil night Derma roller 1mm 

Then for the rest of the week minoxidil morning and night. 

Would this be ok for growth ?

On 2/8/2020 at 8:26 AM, Coady said:

Thank you for your reply.

i have read your thread and found it very useful. 

I see you are using a pen. I bought a Derma roller set for skin would that have the same affect ?

planning my routine to be 

Monday - morning minoxidil night Derma roller 1mm 

Then for the rest of the week minoxidil morning and night. 

Would this be ok for growth ?

You’re welcome.

You could use your derma roller but be sure the needles are 1mm and if any, normally 1mm up to 2mm long is what you want if you want to see any good progress, using a derma roller less than 1mm is normally good for the absorption of topicals. I used a derma roller years ago (0.5mm) and it was annoying and not much progress but I didn’t do it constantly, with the Pen its much easier and better, for me at least and the needle cartridge is adjustable without having to buy different needle derma rollers.

Yes, the routine you list looks about right, although I just use Minoxidil once a day at night before I go to sleep, and there is some info that even once a day is effective as well, but if you can handle 2x daily Minox then go ahead.

If going the roller route, my advice would be to go for a derma roller with a relatively small number of needles. With a width of around 2cm, my old roller had 720 needles. This is bad for two reasons:

a: It gets tangled up in the hair much more easily as you roll over it.

b: More importantly, it's really REALLY hard to get the needles to go all the way into the scalp. I tried pressing very hard (even with 1mm needles), and succeeded with almost brute force (even more than the pain, it felt 'squelchy' too which was horrible). This makes it impractical to realize the full effect, since you do NOT want to use that kind of pressure for a small, let alone large area of your scalp.

Afterwards, I went for one about the same size (just under 2cm width), but with just 192 needles instead of 720. MUCH better. You may need to roll a few more times, but at least the needles actually penetrate (and FWIW, it felt less 'squelchy' too).

Edited by hair4tomo
  • Like 1