Thinking of first transplant - will I get enough coverage?

Im a 39 year old male in the UK, think I'm maybe a Norwood 5 or 6? I've attached a photo for reference. I started Proscar last October so been on it four months now and I think the crown has thickened a little.

Do you think I could get decent coverage with a FUE transplant and have some donor to spare for future? I just want to know if it's worth me proceeding or if my recession is too far gone? If I can get all over coverage with the illusion of density that would be great but I don't want to have an exposed crown or just a thin 'shredded wheat' look on top.

I'm on a tight budget so it would have to be a Turkish clinic. I know the risks of this but I've seen, like others, fantastic results from Dr Cinik.

Just putting some feelers out and wanting a few educated opinions please. Many thanks!

IMG_0778.JPG

@Pinkyandthebrain taking into account you central crown area it looks like you have around 120cm2 of recipient area which means you are going to need more than 4000 grafts to rebuild that area with more than 30cm2 overall density (4000 grafts /120cm2 = 33,3cm2 overall density). For the frontal hairline it’s advisable +50cm2 density so you might need thick beard grafts to increase the density to the crown/ midscalp and avoid overharvesting your scalp donor area. 

Dr. Cinik is a clinic that charges all inclusive prices (red alert) and performs surgery on several patients per day with technicians doing most of the work. If you chose the most expensive option which is the newest technique - DHI - then you will have a surgery totally performed by technicians. 

If you can’t afford Dr. Demirsoy that costs 1.25€/graft then contact Esma&Serkan Tetik. They are a team of nurses that only do surgery on 1 patient per day using DHI and charge 1350€ for up to 4000 grafts including beard grafts if needed (they are nurses not Doctors). There are dozens of Turkish patients posting their good results with Esma&Serkan Tetik on the Turkish forum sacekimisonuclari.com

If you are considering going to Cinik to have a unknown tech team (not Doctors or Nurses) do your DHI surgery then you might as well go with a with a team of nurses that charge less than Cinik and have dozen of patients posting the good results they achieved with them. 

Edited by Portugal25

Look at classification 5A on the Norwood chart.  Grab a pencil and lightly go over the mid back of the figure.  I'd say that's close to what you're experiencing.  It is important to recognize the pattern as it will guide you and the doctor as to the course of action to take.  Since you've started Proscar, (I am assuming you are splitting it in 1/4), and you seem to have experienced early enhancement toward the back, I would just concentrate on the entire front and blending grafts to the mid section.  Leave the back alone as this is where the meds tend to have the most effect.

How many grafts you end up doing will depend on a number of factors.  Two of the most important ones will be - location of the hairline, including how recessed the temporal areas will be - and the density the doctor is able to accomplish in a single procedure.  The farther back you place the hairline, the lesser grafts you'll need, (unless you are going to work farther back into the pattern).  

Go to the mall and look at people.  Try noticing a pattern similar to yours  and how that individual is losing his hair.  You want to be age and pattern appropriate.

How many procedures you'll do will also depend on a number of things.  First, what is it you are trying to accomplish.  The more density, the more grafts.  Second, are you open to FUT? You can maximize your donor by doing both FUT and FUE.  

More important- please stay on the med.  You have a lot of native hair. This will have an impact on the overall density.

• Like 1

Hello @Pinkyandthebrain   contact some top doctors and arrange a consultation. Establish what your doner is like. One can never say for sure but try and establish where your pattern  is going but more importantly where will it end.

It's best to plan for the long term , so a conservative hairline would be the way to go to hold onto your precious grafts in your doner for later.

Yes you can get great coverage by going the FUE route. You could also use beard grafts in your mid scalp ,and crown area later.

@LaserCap gave you some great pointers and advice.

If you cant afford a top doctor now it's best to wait untill you can afford it. Widen your search, one country is not enough. Don't let distance put you off. 

All the best

Paddy

@Portugal25 @LaserCap @paddyirishman

Thanks a lot guys, you've given me some great info to consider.

I think I could stretch my budget to Demirsoy, certainly if he's there for the whole procedure and is just doing one patient a day. Are there any other surgeons you recommend me comparing to in Europe around the 1.25 euros a graft price range?

What I just can't work out regarding a transplant is if the hair I buy in the front will be with me for life? I understand I will have to go back for surgery a few times as my crown starts to recede (hoping the Proscar slows that down). But what confuses me with hair transplants is people saying stuff like 'even if it buys me just another five years' or hair transplant veterans of old, now in their sixties, saying it was a waste of time and money as the grafts have eventually thinned or fallen out.

- If most of my frontal hair is gone and I get it filled in, won't this now be with me for good? Are hair veterans lamenting loss perhaps referring to older tech transplants from the 1990s/early 2000s?

If I get 4000 grafts into the front and this will only last 5 or even 10 years, then I'm not sure if I can spare the expense. If it lasts me from now (39), until my 70s and I just keep going back to get the crown topped up then that makes sense. 

The hair will be permanent, as long as you were destined to keep the hair on the back of your head. A lot of people thin out over the back of their head very late in life but chances are you will retain most of the transplanted hairs throughout your life

4 hours ago, Pinkyandthebrain said:

@Portugal25 @LaserCap @paddyirishman

Thanks a lot guys, you've given me some great info to consider.

I think I could stretch my budget to Demirsoy, certainly if he's there for the whole procedure and is just doing one patient a day. Are there any other surgeons you recommend me comparing to in Europe around the 1.25 euros a graft price range?

@Pinkyandthebrain you won’t find any other Doctor with good results that is operating just 1 patient per day and overseeing the whole surgery at 1.25€/graft. 

I’m in exactly the same boat as you pal and very similar hair loss, I’m looking to get a HT around spring / summer time 

its good to read the advice of others but when your financial situation is limited It makes it hard to try and find the best you can for what you can afford.