Is this the early stage of balding?

24hrs ago i washed my hair. Few moments ago i combed out around 70 hair out of my head into the sink. Its a terrifying sight. I dont know if im  just lying to myself at this point, i became delusional. These are few pics i have. I cant tell if my hair got thinner last whole year since pictures are very similar. But i feel like its not normal to just casually get 70 hairs just 1 day after washing hair. The only thing that can come in play is that i never comb my hair, and yesterday i just washed out the shampoo off my hair without using fingers so some hair might have stayed blocked in the other hair.

One thing is for sure, my hairloss didnt progress for these 1 and a half years that i m monitoring it. But since i became aware of that condition, i ve started noticing hairs when i shampoo my hair. I can get a decent amount of hairs from my head and sometiems i feel like it would never stop. Whenever i would go through my hair i would get atleast 1 or 2 and that goes to infinity. Scary crap.

My father is bald as fuck, my brother (33) is also bald and my 2nd brother (31) has temples thinning and crown as well. The only person from my fathers side that is not bald is his brother that managed to keep his hair in his 50s. His head is not full of hair but he kept an impressive amount of hair (he still had the gene for hairloss apparently). My hair is way better than my brothers(33) hair when he was my age, 24. 

Is there a chance that those 70 hairs in the sink were partially stuck hair from not washing the hair properly or i m going bald? I think that i m in the early stages of MPB and that i m gonna slowly progress untill i have noticable hairloss in my mid 30s. What is your opinion on this? Also i need an advice for topical fin, because thats the first thing i m gonna jump on if i start the treatment. I want to know if i can avoid mixing fin with minoxidil and what substitute i can use to mix it with?

My current routine is taking suplements for zinc and vitamin D3, doing dermarolling every 6 days + applying nizoral 2% or pure nettle shampoo. 

82537035_186226339446090_4322295313910988800_n.jpg

83005296_624883081602280_3463196958724718592_n.jpg

Alright, so you have family history.  And of course, there is always one with a full set of hair.  Likely following the mother's side.  It happens. A couple of things. If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  It may be gradual, or not at all for some time.  But it will happen.  So the first thing to do is to get on some type of medical therapy to help you with retention.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this condition.  They work differently and thus are synergistic.  

One thing that does not help you is the contrast between the color of the hair and the skin.  It makes things look worse than what they're truly are.  The first photo you shared, no loss.  The second, however, does show the whirl a bit larger.  It is important to recognize we all share that weak spot.  That's because of the way the hair grows.  In that particular area the hair grows away from the center.  In the front and top, by comparison, the hair grows forward and we enjoy the shingling effect, (hair on top of hair) which gives the illusion of density. 

There are two types of loss,, the type you see and the type you don't.  What you do see, hair in the sink, floor, pillow - is normal.  Most believe 100 hairs a day is the norm.  (The follicle gets tired and takes a vacation.  3-4 months later the hair returns).  So if you see 70 hairs come off, don't sweat it. That will return.  This will happen randomly to all the hair in your head. Hair loss,, however is a type of loss you don't see.

Go to the mirror and look at your hairline.  Pay particular attention to the hairs in the temporal areas, (corners).  Note the shafts of each strand.  Some will be very thick, vibrant and dark.  Others will be finer and look duller.  Some are so thin they just don't seem to grow any more.  We call this process miniaturization.  Eventually the hair dissipates and withers away.  That's hair loss.  The key here, again, is to get on some type of medical therapy to help you retain the native hair and perhaps even enhance the thinner-caliber hairs.

• Administrators

Looks like one picture was taken with flash and one picture was taken under a light. I don't see a 50% decrease in density, but you should try and set up an in-person consultation with a qualified surgeon who can check your at the microscopic level. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Medina said:

Do absolutely nothing. Your hair is fine 

Drugs are a big decision with potential consequences 

Transplants recover lost ground 

You don't need either at the moment 

So whats bothering me is that one of my temples thinned out. Just one. Its still not bad but it can get worse and i thought that topical fin would help me avoid stress and future hair transplants. Good thing about fin is that you can just stop it and not lose all the hair you held on to..unlike minoxidil which i dont want to start yet.I 100% get what you are saying but im scared of losing more hair than i have right now. I shed a shit ton. Uneven temple hairloss has been associated with classic MPB symptom as i heard

I would get on the Fin now but not the full dose.  Do something like 0.5mg MWF, or 1.25mg (1/4 Proscar) MF.  See how you get on.  You do not need to take the full amount.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

25 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

I would get on the Fin now but not the full dose.  Do something like 0.5mg MWF, or 1.25mg (1/4 Proscar) MF.  See how you get on.  You do not need to take the full amount.

Are you a doctor?

Let's clarify the msg. to avoid confusion.  The full dose of Finasteride is 1 mg.  So what you're saying is take 1/2?  Do you have any study indicating this would be effective in any way?

Then you say to quarter the 5 mg Proscar tab to obtain the 1.25 mg, (which can vary as the tab is not pre-scored.  So one day you may get more of less of the medication). This in itself is more than the 1 mg Propecia/Finasteride tab.  

9 hours ago, Medina said:

Do absolutely nothing. Your hair is fine 

Drugs are a big decision with potential consequences 

Transplants recover lost ground 

You don't need either at the moment 

This is my wet hair. It can get even worse when its wetter than this. I just lost a perception of what dense hair looks like under these conditions. Im losing my shit lol.

SmartSelect_20200123-225652_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200123-230038_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, 1978matt said:

I heard 1mg 3 times a week is enough. But im not running from the optimal dose, i m just not in the position to play around with my hormones since i already have anxiety and depression issues and middle night insomnia. Thats why i wanted to try topical cuz it minimizes the systemic absorption. The problem with fin is that you might get sides a year into the process of taking it and that usually means it would take you a year to clear the sides. I wouldnt talk much before doing the blood work tho

If you want to save them quickly get into medicines . Trust me I was in the same situation which you currently are and I just ignore it n focused on home remedies like oiling scalp, onion juice etc but things got worse with time and now I have lost so much hair that I'm considering a hair transplant. The only thing I regret was I wished I knew about my genetic hairloss and had immediately started with medications. 

13 minutes ago, Yake said:

If you want to save them quickly get into medicines . Trust me I was in the same situation which you currently are and I just ignore it n focused on home remedies like oiling scalp, onion juice etc but things got worse with time and now I have lost so much hair that I'm considering a hair transplant. The only thing I regret was I wished I knew about my genetic hairloss and had immediately started with medications. 

I would get on fin but: 1.i dont know how could i get it where i live right now(i could probably do it somehow but i have no info) 2.i dont want to fuck with my libido. Even if its a slight loss of libido its enough for me to not consider it as an option. I dont believe that you can surpress 70% of dht and have your libido 100% unaffected.

I will most likely go bald at some point, but my hairloss is progressing so slow, i might have my first real hair issues in my mid 30s..(im 24). My uncle is 50, has a gene for hairloss and he still held on to his hair. I m keeping track of my hairloss for 2 years so far and it didnt change for me yet. Could be a small change that was not easy to notice. I dont wanna start minox this young because you eventually get tolerant to it. Minoxidil is my last resort. Finestiride is too risky for someone who really cares about libido. Also fin is no advised to people prone to depression and anxiety. Its too big of a risk

24 minutes ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

This is my wet hair. It can get even worse when its wetter than this. I just lost a perception of what dense hair looks like under these conditions. Im losing my shit lol.

SmartSelect_20200123-225652_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200123-230038_Gallery.jpg

Again, looks ok to me. You can either -

1) Jump on meds, probably for life, risking the sides 

2) Wait it out. Get a transplant at 30. Use toppik in meantime   

I choose the latter and have no regrets 

24 minutes ago, Medina said:

Again, looks ok to me. You can either -

1) Jump on meds, probably for life, risking the sides 

2) Wait it out. Get a transplant at 30. Use toppik in meantime   

I choose the latter and have no regrets 

Getting a transplant still means i need to take propecia and minoxidil to keep that hair. I m really aware of the possible side effect, and as i said earlier, i wouldnt ever fuck with hormones since i m not a person that could do it most likely. So you do realize i would need to jump on finestiride at some point if i really wanted to keep my hair? Minoxidil alone stops working after some time. DHT needs to be stopped in scalp. 
I do respect your advice because you are not so easily jumping on the finestiride train. But i do think its neccacary at some point in hairloss. Thats why i was looking for topical finestiride 

1 minute ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

Getting a transplant still means i need to take propecia and minoxidil to keep that hair. I m really aware of the possible side effect, and as i said earlier, i wouldnt ever fuck with hormones since i m not a person that could do it most likely. So you do realize i would need to jump on finestiride at some point if i really wanted to keep my hair? Minoxidil alone stops working after some time. DHT needs to be stopped in scalp. 
I do respect your advice because you are not so easily jumping on the finestiride train. But i do think its neccacary at some point in hairloss. Thats why i was looking for topical finestiride 

My hairloss like many is extremely slow. I've avoided finasteride for 10 years. Now with my transplant I've bought myself maybe another 10 years for a new treatment to hit the market. Maybe it never will. In which case I could always get a 2nd procedure. The worst case scenario is my hairloss suddenly becoming aggressive (doubt it) in which case I might resort to meds 

It's an ugly fight I know. There is no easy route 

1 minute ago, Medina said:

My hairloss like many is extremely slow. I've avoided finasteride for 10 years. Now with my transplant I've bought myself maybe another 10 years for a new treatment to hit the market. Maybe it never will. In which case I could always get a 2nd procedure. The worst case scenario is my hairloss suddenly becoming aggressive (doubt it) in which case I might resort to meds 

It's an ugly fight I know. There is no easy route 

Hairloss sucks so much because hair really does make a huge difference. "Just shave it" doesnt work that easily. Majority shaved people are regretting it at some point

• Like 1