Some grafts just aren’t doing anything?

Mr Sinister

Hey guys. I’m 3 months post fue. I’ll post a progress post soon. However I’ve noticed that there are some grafts which just haven’t done anything since they were implanted. They haven’t shed or grown. They’re just stuck, sticking though my scalp. Almost as if they were dead.

For those that have had successful surgeries, is this normal? Will these grafts eventually do something? Or have you had similar experiences. Maybe the grafts just stayed like that since?

Ive experienced hardly any shedding, and most hairs seem to be growing through ok, but Im just concerned about these “dead hairs”.

ive tried taking pics, but the hairs are quite small so don’t come out on camera very well.

thanks for any insights 

Normal. Let it be. I would not even look at it until at least 6 months.  Take a set of photos at that point.  Repeat in 12 months and at 18.  By that point all will have surfaced and mature. Stressing about it can only create other issues - like more shedding.

• Valued Contributor

Agree with everyone. It’s nothing to worry about. I had a few grafts hold out on growing until 6 and 7 months. Other forum members have posted the same thing happening to them and the majority of them grew out to have beautiful luxurious locks. 🙂 Good luck and don’t stress. They’ll shed and work their way back up to the surface soon enough.

Tbh I'm in the same boat as you. I had my first HT around 3 weeks ago and when I closely inspect my scalp, in between my growing transplanted hairs I can see some hairs still the same lenght that they were the day of the operation, haven't moved by growing or shedding ever since, they are just there inside my head. It also got me worried that only the growing hairs are healthy and survived, but people say that all of those hairs will start growing eventually. Which I hope is what happens.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Lohvisa said:

Tbh I'm in the same boat as you. I had my first HT around 3 weeks ago and when I closely inspect my scalp, in between my growing transplanted hairs I can see some hairs still the same lenght that they were the day of the operation, haven't moved by growing or shedding ever since, they are just there inside my head. It also got me worried that only the growing hairs are healthy and survived, but people say that all of those hairs will start growing eventually. Which I hope is what happens.

If you had a hair transplant 3 weeks ago then you should still only be seeing the grafts and natural hair as stubble. Your shed should start soon and then you’ll ideally start seeing new growth in between months 3 and 5 but you probably won’t notice your natural hair is longer until the end of the month. That’s a generalization but hair just grows so slowly. 

Seriously, no worries. All you can do now is wash that head of yours and wait for your hair to grow. 🙂

Edited by Steeeve

Giving you yet another "all is good!" response to put your mind at ease. The best thing you can do for yourself now is to try your best to not examine your hair every day and to forget about your hair transplant/growth altogether. Then all of a sudden you'll look in the mirror one day and see the most beautiful thing:  progress. 🥳

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I don’t want to worry you but I had a similar situation with one graft from my transplant. All the other grafts grew after implantation and then eventually shed between the 2nd-4th week. These were all healthy and grew as expected around the 3rd month. The one that didn't grow or shed never became a viable graft. It just stayed in place and after two years I gently pulled on it and it came out with very minimal force. So, use that information for what it’s worth but I wouldn't expect your result to be a failure. Give it time. It's a very long process. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

9 hours ago, ruca2 said:

I don’t want to worry you but I had a similar situation with one graft from my transplant. All the other grafts grew after implantation and then eventually shed between the 2nd-4th week. These were all healthy and grew as expected around the 3rd month. The one that didn't grow or shed never became a viable graft. It just stayed in place and after two years I gently pulled on it and it came out with very minimal force. So, use that information for what it’s worth but I wouldn't expect your result to be a failure. Give it time. It's a very long process. 

scary!!!!!

On 1/18/2020 at 2:33 AM, Mr Sinister said:

Hey guys. I’m 3 months post fue. I’ll post a progress post soon. However I’ve noticed that there are some grafts which just haven’t done anything since they were implanted. They haven’t shed or grown. They’re just stuck, sticking though my scalp. Almost as if they were dead.

For those that have had successful surgeries, is this normal? Will these grafts eventually do something? Or have you had similar experiences. Maybe the grafts just stayed like that since?

Ive experienced hardly any shedding, and most hairs seem to be growing through ok, but Im just concerned about these “dead hairs”.

ive tried taking pics, but the hairs are quite small so don’t come out on camera very well.

thanks for any insights 

I have the same problem lol. I'm in 3 months post operation as well...  they say on the third month you are starting to see some results...  I think the hairs that aren't doing anything are in the "dormant phase"... the hair's life cycle is 3-4 months, so hopefully they will take off... do u have a lot of those little white hairs (vellus hairs)..  they are supposed to develop into full hairs as well I believe. just stay optimistic 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 7:49 AM, therealmvp2016 said:

I have the same problem lol. I'm in 3 months post operation as well...  they say on the third month you are starting to see some results...  I think the hairs that aren't doing anything are in the "dormant phase"... the hair's life cycle is 3-4 months, so hopefully they will take off... do u have a lot of those little white hairs (vellus hairs)..  they are supposed to develop into full hairs as well I believe. just stay optimistic 

How's it going so far?

• 9 months later...