Hair transplant results

Hey everyone, I have a pretty general question. I recently got a 2400 graft fut hair transplant, it’s only been about a week but seems to be going very well. I am just curious, when the implanted grafts fall out, and the new hair grows in, will it be thicker then it is when the hairs are first transplanted? I know the grafts are made up of 1-4 hairs, Or something like that so I’m just trying to figure out how this is gonna look in 6-12 months. Thanks for any information you may have! 

@Tb12

the grafts won't fall out. What will normally fall out is the implanted hair in the recipient area because of oxygen deficiency during surgery. Due to the fact, that the extracted hair is from the donor area it will take some time until the structure of this hair will be aligned to the existing hair characteristics in the recipient area. The regrowth of the implanted hair is a process and will begin very thin and thicken over the time.

Edited by nightcrawler

8 hours ago, nightcrawler said:

@Tb12

the grafts won't fall out. What will normally fall out is the implanted hair in the recipient area because of oxygen deficiency during surgery. Due to the fact, that the extracted hair is from the donor area it will take some time until the structure of this hair will be aligned to the existing hair characteristics in the recipient area. The regrowth of the implanted hair is a process and will begin very thin and thicken over the time.

Thanks, yeah I just meant when the hair falls out not the grafts, and I understand most of that I guess the main question I’m trying to ask, is the hairs that were implanted, is that how they grow or are this follicles going to produce 1-4 hairs depending on the graft when the new hair begins to grow in a couple months? 

During a transplant procedure the doctor will carefully select the "hair" he needs.  Hairline hair, for example, will be finer in caliber than the hair located in the mid scalp.  Finer hair is typically harvested from behind the ear.  Some will have one hair, some two and so on.  If a 2 hair graft is selected and planted as such, it will grow as a 2 hair graft.  That specific graft will not grow additional hair. But this does bring up a question.  Say that two hair graft is split into 2) 1 hair graft.  Would that 1 hair graft grow additional hair? I doubt it.  What is transplanted is what will grow.

So the site is made and the graft implanted. A crust forms. 7 or so many days later, the hair that came with the graft - along with the crust - will fall off.  3-4 months later the new hair will start coming in. The hair will be very fine and will continue improving.  Matured results take 12-18 months. At that point the caliber of the hair will match that of the donor.  The follicle still "thinks" it is in the donor area and will behave a such.  

• Thanks 1

In 4-6 months the newly transplanted hair will start to grow, but they come in extremely thin and it's hard to see at first. After 7-8 months, you'll see a lot more growth and the hairs will be significantly thicker by then. Remember that it takes a full year to see the final results.

Edited by O.j