How do people try to explain your improved looks after a hair transplant?

Before my procedure, I read about people being confused at what is going on but just brushing it off as one losing weight

After 2750 FUE on NW 2.5-3 I was complimented on a better haircut (LOL, cause I'm almost 4 months post OP and didn't have any haircut since then when I got a not stylish buzz cut)

19 hours ago, duchaine said:

an HT for a n2/3 is something like a good haircut.
The big difference is that is mora "stable": you do not look shitty because wind or sweeting.

True, the hair looks more solid and all the negative traits like those small but visible bald spots (temples) go away

Yeah, wind would affect less but at least where I live it doesn't seem that much of a problem (we're talking hurricanes-like, right, which really mess up the hair?)

Another discussion topic, I heard that NW 3 are the best candidates for a HT since they get the biggest difference - their donor allows to pursue a dense look and with extractions of up to 3K grafts are being considered safe in one session and this is how much NW 3 would need for a full transformation

17 hours ago, RecessionProof said:

“You lost weight!”

Yeah, it seems that a better-framed face gives an average Joe a less chubbier look. Another thought, if the person was overweight, they might be also likely to start losing weight around their hair transplant to further boost their looks?

Edited by Yaro
Bad memory

This interesting topic since honestly, I dont understand how people can NOT notice that you have more hair or better hairline. Im talking about mid large operations, like 3000 plus. 

Im about to get HT soon and I dont want to tell people about it, so on one hand I dont want them to think its HT but on the other hand the whole point of the transplant is to look much better than Im now and if the whole reaction will be "nice haircut" then it's a bit disappointing lol

This was the norm in the 90's and before FUE came into the picture.  Back then, post MPRs, it was all about FUT.  And most patients would keep their hair lengthy in the donor to make the scar inconspicuous.  So the patient would go through the procedure and no one would say a word for at least 6 months. It was then you could start seeing a bit of a difference.  Keep in mind the growth was so gradual you could really not tell much until a year later. By then you could see a marked improvement.  Let's talk about co-workers and people that see you every day.  This becomes you....and people can not tell.  They do see a difference but can't pinpoint exactly what it is.  Plenty of times I've heard, "you look thinner." For people that have not seen you in years, yes-they'll be able to tell something is up.

But honestly, this is about you and no one else.  Why worry about what people may or may not say? It's always been my view to tell people up front.  "And, if you say anything about it, I'll punch you in the nose."  That ought to take care of things.

25 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

You took this pill called finasteride and it grew back.  Amazing

lol. you can also just say you started eating healthier, or drink more water or shit like that lol :)   people that dont experience hairloss probably clueless enough to believe

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

You took this pill called finasteride and it grew back.  Amazing

1 hour ago, karatekid said:

lol. you can also just say you started eating healthier, or drink more water or shit like that lol :)   people that dont experience hairloss probably clueless enough to believe

Swear to god, I'm using the "started to drink a warm glass of water every morning"; and I live in a tropical climate

Other day, receiving Mino at the customs and a kind gentleman decides to investigate my shipment for "illicit" substances. Ironically, a policeman was nearby handy

Anyway, disappointed or not, he asks me what's the intent of Minoxidil. I tell him in a pleasant way that it helped the hair and I was balding before

Obviously, he was impressed but I didn't want to mention the HT due to the potential stigma

Like I keep saying (I'm young), my parents guilt tripped me for the HT but then started saying I look better and refusing to believe the reason

According to them, attractive people have better personality by default 🙂

I just want to be a better version of myself and looks are important. Another observation, people don't treat you better for small things but would for a HT unless they discover the truth. It's like overcoming your genetical limit is unethical

My 0.02

I retired in 2005 from one job and went to a retirement party about a year after my first transplant in 2011, and One guy asked why I was the only one who was looking younger than when I retired.  I just laughed and drank another beer.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

8 hours ago, Yaro said:

True, the hair looks more solid and all the negative traits like those small but visible bald spots (temples) go away

Yeah, wind would affect less but at least where I live it doesn't seem that much of a problem (we're talking hurricanes-like, right, which really mess up the hair?)

Another discussion topic, I heard that NW 3 are the best candidates for a HT since they get the biggest difference - their donor allows to pursue a dense look and with extractions of up to 3K grafts are being considered safe in one session and this is how much NW 3 would need for a full transformation

Yeah, it seems that a better-framed face gives an average Joe a less chubbier look. Another thought, if the person was overweight, they might be also likely to start losing weight around their hair transplant to further boost their looks?

I have thin hair so a, when they are longer than 12 cm, a little wind mess they up!
anyway, they usually fall on the front and all the bald spot are clearly visible!

2 hours ago, duchaine said:

I have thin hair so a, when they are longer than 12 cm, a little wind mess they up!
anyway, they usually fall on the front and all the bald spot are clearly visible!

Heard Mino helps but I am no pro but you probably already know of the effects and it's not so easy. Wishing you for a solution though

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

I retired in 2005 from one job and went to a retirement party about a year after my first transplant in 2011, and One guy asked why I was the only one who was looking younger than when I retired.  I just laughed and drank another beer.

All I can say is

Like. A. Boss

Needed somebody like this as my father when I was young

I think even if people do notice "something different", it's not uncommon that they would A) be able to pinpoint what it is and B) keep it in their memory even if they do know it's a hair transplant. I have friends who saw me right after my procedure and knew I had it done, and to this day if I reference my HT, they respond with something like, "Oh yeah! I forgot you did that!"

Ideally, the work will look so natural that it won't even be something people have the mental capacity to cling on to, and your new look will simply become the new normal. 

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 1/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, pkipling said:

I think even if people do notice "something different", it's not uncommon that they would A) be able to pinpoint what it is and B) keep it in their memory even if they do know it's a hair transplant. I have friends who saw me right after my procedure and knew I had it done, and to this day if I reference my HT, they respond with something like, "Oh yeah! I forgot you did that!"

Ideally, the work will look so natural that it won't even be something people have the mental capacity to cling on to, and your new look will simply become the new normal. 

Very nice points

Brings me back to this idea, which I thought of about before but was not sure of how to word it; hair transplant is such an important and taxing (including emotionally, as well as time-wise) process for us, yet other people, as in your example, might as well not notice it at all

I'd say that younger people with hair or the ones lucky to preserve it naturally would pay attention to your transformation/contrast the least; all will still marvel the end results (as in, if you are going towards NW 1-ish hairline)

LaserCap....sometimes your posts make me laugh!😀

Look... with all of the various treatments being offered for treating hair loss, what's wrong with just telling the truth?

I mean you don't have to get into details about having a HT procedure...but why not just share the fact that you decided to do something about your thinning hair and then just give them the Laser Look!...HA!...and just walk away...😨

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 1/22/2020 at 1:04 AM, gillenator said:

LaserCap....sometimes your posts make me laugh!😀

Look... with all of the various treatments being offered for treating hair loss, what's wrong with just telling the truth?

I mean you don't have to get into details about having a HT procedure...but why not just share the fact that you decided to do something about your thinning hair and then just give them the Laser Look!...HA!...and just walk away...😨

Fair point, enjoying the sense of humor as well

Unfortunately, people seem to take very critically any procedures a man undertakes to "cheat" his genetic limitations

This includes facial surgeries as well

Ironically, simple procedures like a haircut are more welcomed even if their effects are limited in comparison, especially on a balding individual. Obviously, you would look nice after a haircut but to look good you need a decent hairline to begin with. That's why we are here. Unless you have a top percentile masculine face then being bald is never attractive

Perhaps, I phrased the original question incorrectly. It's more of a banter - how did people try to explain your HT and what did you suggest? Some said losing weight and drinking a warm pint of water daily 🙂

Your transplant is much more important to you than to anyone else.  50% of the population could care less if you even have a head.  Women will only notice if they are interested in you, otherwise you are invisible.  One thing to understand is that it is not about you, it is about them.  Say nothing about getting a transplant.  the men won't care at all unless they want to get one also.  The women will file it in their memory banks forever, and you will always be the guy who got the transplant.  A woman can get a boob job and it is accepted, even though the girls will still talk about her behind her back.  DON'T TELL ANYBODY ANYTHING.

• Like 2

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

9 hours ago, Dazed said:

Your transplant is much more important to you than to anyone else.  50% of the population could care less if you even have a head.  Women will only notice if they are interested in you, otherwise you are invisible.  One thing to understand is that it is not about you, it is about them.  Say nothing about getting a transplant.  the men won't care at all unless they want to get one also.  The women will file it in their memory banks forever, and you will always be the guy who got the transplant.  A woman can get a boob job and it is accepted, even though the girls will still talk about her behind her back.  DON'T TELL ANYBODY ANYTHING.

I would lie if I wouldn't say that you sound very educated

Looking at the good things first, very appreciative of the fact that such procedures exist. Secondly, good job to everybody undergoing them

Like it was mentioned, it means a lot to us but we can't go discussing it in the public. I would say that there's a greater need for more men to undergo a HT than for us to be quiet about it, but this is society, so here you go...

Unless one is more than NW 3 (NW 4+), I truly hope that one procedure is more than you need and then you can continue performing other procedures if necessary to further bolster other "aspects" of your life. However, I am a full believer that hair is a very important component in a man's beauty and it's relatively easy to "fix" (compared to face or height)

7 hours ago, Yaro said:

Looking at the good things first, very appreciative of the fact that such procedures exist. Secondly, good job to everybody undergoing them

Like it was mentioned, it means a lot to us but we can't go discussing it in the public. I would say that there's a greater need for more men to undergo a HT than for us to be quiet about it, but this is society, so here you go...

Unless one is more than NW 3 (NW 4+), I truly hope that one procedure is more than you need and then you can continue performing other procedures if necessary to further bolster other "aspects" of your life. However, I am a full believer that hair is a very important component in a man's beauty and it's relatively easy to "fix" (compared to face or height)

There is no medical need for a man to get a transplant.  Thank you for the compliment on my education  Get your ducks in a row before you try to throw out your insults.   Reread your post.

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

There is no medical need for a man to get a transplant.  Thank you for the compliment on my education  Get your ducks in a row before you try to throw out your insults.   Reread your post.

Couldn't agree more on the medical part! I see your point, I am in no position to give out recommendations to other folks before having a successful hair transplant, if that's what you mean? Nonetheless, being just over four months post the procedure, I still think that it was a correct thing to do and I couldn't recommend it more to other men suffering from a bad hairline. Not sure what offended you, as I still think that you don't sound like a bad guy. Must have been miscommunication! 🙂

Edit: I see, the last paragraph could be read as aimed personally, as I used the word "you". My bad, this is interchangeable with "one". Anyway, this starts to get too deep and I don't want to rephrase my words, as it's easier to read them without thinking I aimed them negatively. Have fun all, enjoy your HT. As I said, it's not a short journey, but I'm hoping to get back at life after the hair grows out and I stop looking like a hobo, LOL :D

Untitled.png

Edited by Yaro
Edit

15 hours ago, Yaro said:

Could not agree more Yaro...and hair restoration is one of the foremost and profound positive effects on a man's appearance! 

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY