Breakdown

1s – 10

2s – 275

3s – 378

4s – 100

Total 763 (2,094 hairs)

[Grand Total 7,676 + 3,152 + 2,094 = 12,922 hairs (6220 grafts)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So hopefully this is the third and final one for the next 15+ years!

Apparently I have, or had, a double whorl and the plan was to follow the remnants of what was remaining.

We started around 08:00am, and had the extractions done by 11:45.  Again, the doc was using the WAW punch.  Interestingly he told me he has had great success using this with AA hair too.

We stopped for a few 10 minute breaks but no particular lunch break (which was fine by me) as the doc had another patient that afternoon.  I think we were substantially complete by 3pm.  It didn’t seem like I fell asleep at all but the whole thing seemed to go quite quick.

I barely needed any Ibuprofen the following week, in fact I could have easily not taken any.

I used a travel pillow and a bunch of pillows to sleep at a 45 degree angle the first 4 nights, then travel pillow + pillow the next 2 for good measure.  It wasn’t too bad.

The photo attached is 3 days post op, and today 8 days post op it looks more or less the same.  Like a buzz cut with little to no crusting.  Healed really well and the same goes for the donor.

According to one of the techs, Dr K is generally doing Monday to Wednesdays, 3 or 4 procedures a week.  Occasionally it may be 2 in one day if they are small.

Dr Nadimi worked Thursday and Friday while I was there, doing an FUT and an FUE.

Dr K is booked out over a year and Dr N until about April.

Travel

Some useful info for anyone flying in internationally to Terminal 5 O'Hare.

Non residents no longer need to fill out a customs declaration form (handed out mid flight usually) as this has been replaced by computer terminals in Chicago O’Hare.  A bit of a queue but I got through passport control in about 15 minutes.

If you want an Uber, go to exit 5B (lower level) and cross the Taxi area to the general pick up and drop off zone.  Request an Uber pick up from there.

To get to the car rentals place, use exits 5C or 5D where there are generic free buses arriving and departing all the time.  Car rentals are now all located in one big building about 5 minutes drive from the airport.

I took a car rental myself as it was a free deal with my airline ticket, but I reckon an Uber would cost $30-40 to get to Oakbrook Terrace.

Hotel

Comfort Suites again, for convenience and costs.  As I had booked direct I suspect they gave me a better room than normal.  Bathroom could have done with some updating but overall it was fine.  Breakfast was basic but I kind of liked what was on offer.

They have upped their game with the TV channels and even have English Premier League football games live.

It was easy to get an Uber in less than 4 minutes, even at 6:15am.  Journey to the CH Institute is $5-6.  Likewise, a return journey was easy to request within minutes.

With Pete’s Fresh Market 5 minutes away you can easily get food in off the hot counter to keep in the fridge for the first few days.  There’s also an Aldi within a short walk, Starbucks, Walgreens etc.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Looks extremely clean, as expected from this clinic. Happy growing. I am sure you are safe for the next decade 🙂

Question: 

- You FUT HGI is relatively low at 1.78. Especially as FUT is coming from the best area of he donor.

- You FUE have both extremly high HGI of 2.75 

Did the clinic comment on that? 

Edited by Gasthoerer

18 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Looks extremely clean, as expected from this clinic. Happy growing. I am sure you are safe for the next decade 🙂

Question: 

- You FUT HGI is relatively low at 1.78. Especially as FUT is coming from the best area of he donor.

- You FUE have both extremly high HGI of 2.75 

Did the clinic comment on that? 

Thanks mate.

The 1.78 was quite low as he had to rebuild both the entire hairline and temple points.  I think  some larger grafts were split down to select only the finest hairs.  Also, because I have coarse hair, I suspect he used more singles than he normally does for the hairline.  From memory the temple points were about 300 singles.

With the FUE it's just more efficient since he can pick and choose what's needed and since most of the FUE work was away from the hairline he took more multi hair units.

No idea what my average natural grouping is.  Probably '2.2' hairs/fu.

Edited by 1978matt

1 minute ago, Gasthoerer said:

Thank you for the fast response! Do I understand it right: The HGI is not the extracted HGI but after graft preparation (including splitting). This would make sense 🙂

Yeah I think so.

Dr. Konior does amazingly clean work.  I'm scheduled for my third and hopefully last session with Dr. Konior in March.  Doing another run at my crown (this time FUE) and a little shoring up of my part.  You're lucky in that Dr. Konior didn't have to shave any of your non-donor area.  Because he will be shoring up a few other areas, I don't think I'll be as lucky.  But I feel extremely lucky to get one more procedure by Dr. Konior so I'll suck it up.  Happy growing and Ill look forward to following  your results.

32 minutes ago, Tao said:

Dr. Konior does amazingly clean work.  I'm scheduled for my third and hopefully last session with Dr. Konior in March.  Doing another run at my crown (this time FUE) and a little shoring up of my part.  You're lucky in that Dr. Konior didn't have to shave any of your non-donor area.  Because he will be shoring up a few other areas, I don't think I'll be as lucky.  But I feel extremely lucky to get one more procedure by Dr. Konior so I'll suck it up.  Happy growing and Ill look forward to following  your results.

Ah welcome back.  I remember your results/posts from years ago.

Well, it was intended to be no shave but he kind of had to trim it back so much I'm going to get the front buzzed down quite short.  Will see what my barber can do tomorrow.  It looks ridiculous at the moment!

Liza did the donor shave leaving some hair above and below the scar.  It's looking better by the day and should be concealed more or less in another week.

Best of luck with yours.  I think I would recommend just allowing them to shave it all!

Congrats Matt.  Good luck Tao.  Three Konior oldtimers over here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

So with 3 procedures from Konior under your belt, you're in the official Konior Hall of Fame, right? 🏆And fingers crossed it's the last one for a long time (...or ever?) for you. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

5 hours ago, BadHairDay said:

Looks great! Any specific reason you chose Konior over Nadimi given that her waitlist is shorter?

If it ain't broke don't fix it... 

• Administrators

Really eager to see how this turns out. I was considering getting a similar number of grafts myself. Please keep us updated on your progress, and happy growing.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...

12 weeks and 3 days post op.

Things are looking quite good and there are fine hairs coming through, though not easy to see from the pic.

Should look a lot better in another 3 months.

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.e59a0d5fc03a6b231fb5ea4f5cba1ffb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking Good!  I'm jealous of all the rest of your hair right now.  I'm approaching the 1 month mark from my 1600 graft procedure with Dr. Konior.  I loved how quickly it was to recover after surgery and Dr. Konior's work is ridiculously clean so I had almost no redness or scarring in the donor and recipient areas.  However, it was painful (mentally) as hell to have to have my head shaved as my hair looked pretty damn good before surgery and the growing back stage is taking a long time.  The only good thing about this horrible pandemic is that I don't have to go to work looking this bad.  Totally temporary though and in a few months, I'll be happy hair-wise.   Happy growing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tao said:

Looking Good!  I'm jealous of all the rest of your hair right now.  I'm approaching the 1 month mark from my 1600 graft procedure with Dr. Konior.  I loved how quickly it was to recover after surgery and Dr. Konior's work is ridiculously clean so I had almost no redness or scarring in the donor and recipient areas.  However, it was painful (mentally) as hell to have to have my head shaved as my hair looked pretty damn good before surgery and the growing back stage is taking a long time.  The only good thing about this horrible pandemic is that I don't have to go to work looking this bad.  Totally temporary though and in a few months, I'll be happy hair-wise.   Happy growing.

I know what you mean.  Mine was more or less shaved and I didn't like the look for the first 6 weeks or so.  Got to take the rough with the smooth I guess.

Did you have FUE this time?  I looked back at your blog and see you were basically a NW5.

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

I know what you mean.  Mine was more or less shaved and I didn't like the look for the first 6 weeks or so.  Got to take the rough with the smooth I guess.

Did you have FUE this time?  I looked back at your blog and see you were basically a NW5.

I did have FUE this time after two previous FUTs.  Recovery this time was a snap but this is the first time I had to be shaved.  I'm happy I took the long HT route  because I hate the shaved head look with my lumpy pate.  And yes, when I started this, I was really really bald.  Definitely a NW 5.   I think Dr. Konior took me on and got me in after only a few months this time because he wanted to finish the challenge.  I'm lucky.   He's a special talent.   You're lucky too.

• 1 month later...

After only four months, that's an amazing outcome with only 700 plus grafts.  And with plenty more growing to come, that's going be make you really happy.

I'm at the two month mark now from my crown HT with Dr. Konior.  Finally, most of my hair has grown back so I don't look so terrible now (after a shaved head for the procedure).   I have to update my blog.  Congrats and happy growing!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Looking great Matt thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. I would love to see how the hairline and midscalp is looking as well. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Looking great Matt thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. I would love to see how the hairline and midscalp is looking as well. 

Sure, though no real change:412246086_IMG_0033-Copy.thumb.jpg.729afdc24db64d6efd50263c4c6bc46e.jpg372550780_IMG_0036-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb79f067262ed764d80a7b0104e731b4.jpg1239620448_IMG_0038-Copy.thumb.jpg.6a1ee29037235bd1bbf3a526abaae4d0.jpg

• Administrators

Wow looks amazing congrats Dr. Konior did great 👏🏼

View my thread