FUT Experiences - Please tell your story

Hi HT Community - While I have been on this forum for quite some time and done a lot of research, I'd like to know everyone's experiences with getting FUT. I am contemplating getting a HT sometime this year, possibly with Dr. Hasson, but to be honest it makes me nervous. I've seen great scars, I've seen bad scars. I tend to heal well.

Can you please share your experience with FUT and things like:

• Do you regret getting FUT?
  • How's the scar?
  • How was the recovery?
  • Do you feel good about the results?
  • How is your laxity? (before and after)

Appreciate all the input in advance.

1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

Hi HT Community - While I have been on this forum for quite some time and done a lot of research, I'd like to know everyone's experiences with getting FUT. I am contemplating getting a HT sometime this year, possibly with Dr. Hasson, but to be honest it makes me nervous. I've seen great scars, I've seen bad scars. I tend to heal well.

• How's the scar?
  • How was the recovery?

1) Hell No. 2,600 grafts. I reckon 98% grew in. Still have a wall of virgin donor area ready for the future. If you're gonna be a Norwood 6 or 7 you have a thin slither of donor hair on the back. How do you get a bulk of grafts out without it looking moth-bitten and without taking it outside that safe zone? The FUT hate online is only hurting the patient (though there are cons to it). If I had mild recession and ropey hair and was 40 I'd go FUE, but as a likely future Norwood 6 I don't have the luxury to reject FUT based on the scar. 

I recommend watching Bloxham & Feller's videos on FUE vs FUT to help look at it. Dr Feller says the average growth rate in FUE is 75%, and it can go up to a maximum of 90%. That's from the big man himself, not me. 

2) Excellent. At 10 months I can go down to a grade 3. I don't even take care choosing barbers now. If they go too short, I'll just wait a week until it's covered again. Though that's not true for everyone. Prepare for the worst always. I've asked friends to try and find the scar by flicking through and they can't. That wasn't the case for maybe 7 months though.

3) Brutal. You have that scar on the back but very thin hair at the front for 4 months+. I had to keep it short all over in order not to have a skullet. But ultimately it was worth it. FUT recovery is no joke. For the first months people thought I'd had a motorcycle accident or brain surgery

4) Over the moon. I have a wall of hair at the front, and plenty of grafts in the piggy bank for later. It's better than I ever could have expected.

5) Was good. I also did the stretching exercises like crazy. Literally 2 hours a day for a month pre-transplant.

Dr Hasson is about as safe as one could ever play a hair transplant. If you choose him, you would have done everything in your power to make sure this is successful IMO. I went with a surgeon who is also highly respected and won the ISHRS golden follicle.

Can you live with a grade 8 on the back? let's go sensibly conservative on what could happen if your skin stretches. You have a strong chance of going lower than that. If you can deal with the worst possible outcome, you're ready to go (Could be higher than that in freak cases)

If possible though, try and get a response from Dr Bloxham if you want a second opinion. he responds on Youtube and here pretty well I've found. He'll know all this way better than me, but I understand you want patient responses so I thought I'd reply

Edited by GokuHair
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, GokuHair said:

1) Hell No. 2,600 grafts. I reckon 98% grew in. Still have a wall of virgin donor area ready for the future. If you're gonna be a Norwood 6 or 7 you have a thin slither of donor hair on the back. How do you get a bulk of grafts out without it looking moth-bitten and without taking it outside that safe zone? The FUT hate online is only hurting the patient (though there are cons to it). If I had mild recession and ropey hair and was 40 I'd go FUE, but as a likely future Norwood 6 I don't have the luxury to reject FUT based on the scar. 

I recommend watching Bloxham & Feller's videos on FUE vs FUT to help look at it. Dr Feller says the average growth rate in FUE is 75%, and it can go up to a maximum of 90%. That's from the big man himself, not me. 

2) Excellent. At 10 months I can go down to a grade 3. I don't even take care choosing barbers now. If they go too short, I'll just wait a week until it's covered again. Though that's not true for everyone. Prepare for the worst always. I've asked friends to try and find the scar by flicking through and they can't. That wasn't the case for maybe 7 months though.

3) Brutal. You have that scar on the back but very thin hair at the front for 4 months+. I had to keep it short all over in order not to have a skullet. But ultimately it was worth it. FUT recovery is no joke. For the first months people thought I'd had a motorcycle accident or brain surgery

4) Over the moon. I have a wall of hair at the front, and plenty of grafts in the piggy bank for later. It's better than I ever could have expected.

5) Was good. I also did the stretching exercises like crazy. Literally 2 hours a day for a month pre-transplant.

Dr Hasson is about as safe as one could ever play a hair transplant. If you choose him, you would have done everything in your power to make sure this is successful IMO. I went with a surgeon who is also highly respected and won the ISHRS golden follicle.

Can you live with a grade 8 on the back? let's go sensibly conservative on what could happen if your skin stretches. You have a strong chance of going lower than that. If you can deal with the worst possible outcome, you're ready to go (Could be higher than that in freak cases)

If possible though, try and get a response from Dr Bloxham if you want a second opinion. he responds on Youtube and here pretty well I've found. He'll know all this way better than me, but I understand you want patient responses so I thought I'd reply

great reply. thank you so much. and I had an in-person consult with Dr. Bloxham and saw Doug from H&W in person as well. both great docs. i’ve seen all of their work online (youtube, this forum, etc). I really just feel like i need to bite the bullet at some point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abi28 said:

FUE > FUT

Can you elaborate? In which categories?

This isn't about tribalism. It's about recommending the right procedure for the patient's case. In certain cases FUE is better, in certain cases FUT is.

As a female you'd be an example of someone who'd be much better off with FUT as you'll have the long hair to cover the scar your whole life, and you'll get the significantly lower transection and higher number of safe grafts maintained in virgin donor area for the future (assuming the area to be covered is significant. If it's a 200 graft job in a certain patch, FUE would be perfect)

I'm more than happy to hear professional opinions to the contrary, but I'm currently going on what Doctors Bloxham, Feller, Hasson, Wong and Pathomvanich state after years of performing both surgeries. The golden age transplant surgeons will know better than any of us

here is one of their videos which may be useful to watch

Edited by GokuHair

Do you regret getting FUT?

Nope! I had mine done at 28 so it seemed like the smart way to conserve donor supply for the future. 

How's the scar?

Very difficult to find even if you’re looking for it. At first I was nervous about the scar and couldn’t shave below a #5, but I found that it really becomes less visible as you approach the 6 month mark and beyond. I’m at 9 months now and thinking about going for a #3 guard...of course, your mileage may vary. 

How was the recovery?

It was fine, but I will say that there was some degree of numbness and tightness for several months beyond the initial recovery period. It’s not a huge deal but it does make me think I’d prefer FUE for future procedures...you notice it for a while if you’re paying attention to it.

I didn’t feel a whole lot of pain for the first few weeks because I remembered to take my painkillers, though sleeping on the stitches/staples got a little painful and uncomfortable at times. But it was pretty easy to get back to work.

Do you feel good about the results?

I feel great about the results. And the scar is thin enough that I wouldn’t really feel self conscious if I decided to shave it all some day. 

How is your laxity? (before and after)

Good laxity both before and after. 

• Thanks 1

I had my first FUT procedure over twenty years ago, and my last one in 2008. I actually have three scars (two smallish ones and one 'ear to ear'). Dr Farjo suggested we remove one of the scars in my last procedure, but I got greedy for more grafts so declined. Despite this, and a further 2000  plus grafts via FUE, my scars have caused me zero issues. I can cut my hair pretty short without any evidence of them. 

As for whether I regret going the FUT route, well that's a bit of a moot point really as back in the nineties FUE wasn't really an option. All I can say is that over twenty years later, the hair from those procedures continues to grow well, and the scars remain hidden, so I'm happy how things panned out.

• Thanks 1

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, hairlossPA said:

• How's the scar?
  • How was the recovery?

No, not at all.

• How's the scar?

Typically 1 to 1.5mm of bare scalp.  Maybe better on the left than right.

• How was the recovery?

Hard but worth it.

Yes.

It was assisted by 2 months of scalp exercises prior.  It felt a bit tight afterwards for up to a year but felt normal after that.  I could probably get another 2000 grafts or more with scalp exercises.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 1/14/2020 at 6:13 PM, GokuHair said:

Thanks for all of this excellent input. Any chance you have a thread with your FUT results? 

I have had both FUT and FUE.  I thought FUT was much easier.  Since I don't wear short hair it is no problem hiding the FUT scar.  Interestingly when I had FUE and they shaved my donor area, I appeared to have 2 FUT scars, and I know darn well there should only be one, and the FUT doctor only removed staples from one incision.  This is a mystery.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Yes. My scar is stretched and has been an absolute burden on my life. I went to a reputable dr recommended here 3x with poor results. 1 of the procedures was an absolute failure attempt at FUE into the scar which netted 0 growth. Im told years after its just my physiology by this same clinic. Hair on the scalp from the FUT grew yes but has never measured up to what could have been if I just shaved my head or did FUE from the get go. Its been years of fussing with Dermmatch and Caboki to even being able to go outside and look normal. Thankfully Dr Dorin was able to FUE into the scar this past year and everything grew. Im still very thin on top but the scar is more bearable with the SMP I had done. Overall it has been a nightmare.

• How's the scar?

See above^...an absolute soul crushing result. Im not exaggerating here.

• How was the recovery?

Not bad but FUE is a 100x better with less pain

I need a lot more grafting. Id have been better off shaving my head but Im unfortunately im mired in the fact I went forward to have a HT to begin with.

I was told my laxity was very good...then my scar stretched out terribly 2x with the same dr after a promise of a thin line result.

Overall....my recommendation is unless you are an extensive Norwood is to use FUE and suck up the cost. There is an SMP industry that exists which has a huge customer base of HT patients having their horrible scars camouflaged. Do not be one of them.

Edited by russtaman

• Do you regret getting FUT?

Only thing I regret is waiting 10 years. Best money I’ve spent. Absolute life changer in confidence. Never worrying about the wind or getting in a pool. No more hats. 2000 grafts with Cooley. 

• How's the scar?

Nearly invisible. At 10 months, there is zero tightness or redness. Feels same as it did before the FUT. I confidently go down to a grade 3 clipper once a month. 

• How was the recovery?

At the time, it was a bit uncomfortable. The pain was pretty bearable. I’m a type 1 diabetic, which means 2 things: I’m used to getting poked with needles so this pain was a breeze, and secondly it means I should technically take longer to heal. To the contrary, I healed AND grew early. Maybe 3 months before zero pain, 4 months before growth began. Having said that, I was diligent with the instructions Cooley provided. Sprayed the vitamin blend on the grafts every hour for a week (which is a little strange to have cellophane on your head that long but looking back, absolutely worth it). I also got PRP / Acell as part of the treatment which I can’t help but believe contributed to the success in a big way. I bought a bag of “Hair Shake” powder from his office and made a smoothie every morning until it was gone. I Started on fin (1 5mg pill split in thirds to take M / W / F of every week) and continued Min foam twice daily. 
I also took biotin supplements. Still do. TRUE NHS is the name. Got it on amazon. 

I feel great about them. The few friends that know I’ve had it done are amazed at the naturalness of it. Everyone else suspects nothing. 

Great.