Is my donor area over harvested ?

• Administrators

It could be shock loss, or it could be depletion. The moth eaten appearance is a  trademark of these low-cost FUE hair mills in Turkey. I hope it improves, only time will tell.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It could be shock loss, or it could be depletion. The moth eaten appearance is a  trademark of these low-cost FUE hair mills in Turkey. I hope it improves, only time will tell.

You are right , i got deceived by their marketing and previous cases but after the operation i realized that they are more like a mill than a hospital, the transplanted area is so far good but the donor area is not good at all.

I started noticing since day 10 after the operation that the right side is much thinner than the left side and its not improving that much since then, so does that mean that it's most likely a depletion ?

18 minutes ago, 0GraftsSurvived said:

I started noticing since day 10 after the operation that the right side is much thinner than the left side and its not improving that much since then, so does that mean that it's most likely a depletion ?

Only time will tell, if it stays like that in the next 2-3 months then it's likely over harvested, grow you hair longer and try to cover it and see how it looks. Don't be discouraged, your donor is actually not bad, it could have been way worse, there is always a way to fix your donor, I had something similar happen to me and I had a patchy area on my left side, I had 100 grafts implanted in that area, my donor looks fine now, smp is also an option. Hopefully its just shock loss and your donor recovers in the next few months, patience is key here.

1 minute ago, Abi28 said:

Only time will tell, if it stays like that in the next 2-3 months then it's likely over harvested, grow you hair longer and try to cover it and see how it looks. Don't be discouraged, your donor is actually not bad, it could have been way worse, there is always a way to fix your donor, I had something similar happen to me and I had a patchy area on my left side, I had 100 grafts implanted in that area, my donor looks fine now, smp is also an option. Hopefully its just shock loss and your donor recovers in the next few months, patience is key here.

I hope it improves too, let's see.

I also though of having smp on the donor area, so do you know what would be the right time to do it ? and how long approximately can it last ?

Just now, 0GraftsSurvived said:

I hope it improves too, let's see.

I also though of having smp on the donor area, so do you know what would be the right time to do it ? and how long approximately can it last ?

I wouldn't think about SMP right now since you are only 2 months post op, it will be improve for sure, wait for the 6 month mark and assess your donor again, I don't really know a lot about SMP but I think it could last a year maybe.

5 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I wouldn't think about SMP right now since you are only 2 months post op, it will be improve for sure, wait for the 6 month mark and assess your donor again, I don't really know a lot about SMP but I think it could last a year maybe.

Great, i will wait a couple of months and see then if it didn't improve i may consider SMP or implanting the patched area also would be a great option since it will last forever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree...at 2 months post-op, it could be shock loss and the only way to know for sure is by giving it enough time post-op to fairly evaluate.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This seems quite common. Mine looked very much like this as well at this stage of the process, and it only got better with time. Wait until month 6 or so before you get too concerned as chances are it will work itself out. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56