SMP vs Tricopigmentation if I'm still balding?

I'm set on getting some kinda "hair tattoo" in 2020. I'm deciding between SMP and Tricopigmentation. I know that both options performed by a good practitioner will give good and realistic results. That's not my question.

I'm a NW3 or NW4 and I'm still balding. My dad is a NW7. I'll probably reach NW7 one day. I'm only 37. If I weren't balding anymore I would definitely go for SMP because I don't have to do touch ups as frequently. But since I'm still balding I'm wondering if it makes sense to go for Trico instead.

If I get SMP and I need a touch up, say in 2 years, to cover the newly bald areas, then the newly applied pigment on my head will be fresh, but I'd also have pigment from 2 years ago that may have faded by say 40-50%. So when I go for my next touch up, say in another 2 years, I'll now have fresh pigment, pigment that's 2 years old, and pigment that's 4 years old. Is this an issue in any way?

Can those of you with experience comment on whether it is a problem to do touch ups on a head that has pigments of different age? As far as I know pigment doesn't fade evenly on all parts of the scalp anyway, so then I'd have this problem whether I'm still balding or not.

So then does it make sense to go for Trico because I'm still balding. I prefer SMP, but if there is a strong argument for Trico, then I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

Edited by tripleg

Shouldn't be an issue as they use more density on the empty areas to fill it up. They know what they're doing. You don't know how often you would need touchups though. In my case I can't hold onto my treatment and I would be happy if I can get away with a yearly touchup. I doubt I can though.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, tripleg said:

I'm set on getting some kinda "hair tattoo" in 2020. I'm deciding between SMP and Tricopigmentation. I know that both options performed by a good practitioner will give good and realistic results. That's not my question.

I'm a NW3 or NW4 and I'm still balding. My dad is a NW7. I'll probably reach NW7 one day. I'm only 37. If I weren't balding anymore I would definitely go for SMP because I don't have to do touch ups as frequently. But since I'm still balding I'm wondering if it makes sense to go for Trico instead.

If I get SMP and I need a touch up, say in 2 years, to cover the newly bald areas, then the newly applied pigment on my head will be fresh, but I'd also have pigment from 2 years ago that may have faded by say 40-50%. So when I go for my next touch up, say in another 2 years, I'll now have fresh pigment, pigment that's 2 years old, and pigment that's 4 years old. Is this an issue in any way?

Can those of you with experience comment on whether it is a problem to do touch ups on a head that has pigments of different age? As far as I know pigment doesn't fade evenly on all parts of the scalp anyway, so then I'd have this problem whether I'm still balding or not.

So then does it make sense to go for Trico because I'm still balding. I prefer SMP, but if there is a strong argument for Trico, then I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

I'm from Italy and I suppose we have different terms.
We use indistinctly SMP and TP. 
I can suggest to have a temporary SMP to TP so, after a couple of years, your head will be clean again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Does anyone have experience getting touch ups where they have ink of different ages? Right now I'm talking about regular, more permanent SMP that takes longer to fade rather than tricopigmentation that fades quicker.

Let's assume on your head the ink takes 4 years to fade to the point where you need a touch up. You get SMP, then two years later get more SMP to fill in newly bald areas. THEN 4 years after your original SMP you go for a touch because the original ink has faded. How does the touch up work if you have areas of ink on your head that is 4 years old (original SMP), and 2 years old (fill in of newly bald areas)? Does that mean you have to touch up each area separately when the ink has sufficiently faded in each area and you'd have to come back for touch ups every two years?

Thanks guys. Does anyone have experience getting touch ups where they have ink of different ages? Right now I'm talking about regular, more permanent SMP that takes longer to fade rather than tricopigmentation that fades quicker.

Let's assume on your head the ink takes 4 years to fade to the point where you need a touch up. You get SMP, then two years later get more SMP to fill in newly bald areas. THEN 4 years after your original SMP you go for a touch because the original ink has faded. How does the touch up work if you have areas of ink on your head that is 4 years old (original SMP), and 2 years old (fill in of newly bald areas)? Does that mean you have to touch up each area separately when the ink has sufficiently faded in each area and you'd have to come back for touch ups every two years?

tripleg,

The fade process for both SMP and Tricopigmentation varies greatly from person to person. I have seen clients who went to "permanent" SMP places and they have barely a trace of pigment left (some after just one year). On the flip side I have Trico clients who have their result last for 2 plus years. The difference is that the Trico system is made to specifically break down and disappear from your scalp over time. This is due to the composition of the pigments as well as the consistent depth (.5mm) we inject at.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The only thing you'd need to be careful with trico is the practitioners who tell you to your face they won't increase the price of a "touch up" significantly, and then increase it by double. This happened to the one guy I know who had this (I went ht route). At the end of the day, once they have you they have you. It's up to you whether or not to keep paying, but I find it disheartening that some of the places do this. That said, if it's in your price range and makes you happy, roll with it. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, hairthere said:

tripleg,

The fade process for both SMP and Tricopigmentation varies greatly from person to person. I have seen clients who went to "permanent" SMP places and they have barely a trace of pigment left (some after just one year). On the flip side I have Trico clients who have their result last for 2 plus years. The difference is that the Trico system is made to specifically break down and disappear from your scalp over time. This is due to the composition of the pigments as well as the consistent depth (.5mm) we inject at.

Hi hairthere

I'm considering SMP for my donor area FUE Scarring after my Hair Transplants although the FADING of SMP and pigment REMOVAL part of the procedure

Leaves me with Questions :-

IF the Pigment Merges and Looks Artificial or Fades after 2-4 years and you have a few Top Ups, in the next Decade will the look/contrast/colour and shade 

become Darker, un-natural ?  As you are Adding more Pigment on top of Inc that has Spread Out and Merged or Faded Over the Years.

IF your not Happy, and Laser Remove the SMP. Will your Hair be Damaged ? Could you lose the Native/Transplanted hair to the Laser when removing SMP ?

Would be Useful if Professional SMP Practitioners Could Clarify. 

Edited by Niko1
  • Like 1