Is it really a big deal if you don't chase with more transplants?

Ok say you have a transplant for the hairline, but then for whatever reason the hair behind falls out and your left with the hair up front.  Is it really the end of the world that everyone makes it out to be?  Wouldn't you just shave or buzz, like what you would have probably done if you never got the transplant in the first place?  Some people have a weird tuft of hair in the front and bald in the back naturally, I think they call it the island.  Even if you got a FUT scar, they really don't look that bad.  I seen them before and I never knew they were transplant scars until I started researching them, just figured they were some other surgery or some accident.  Lots of people have injury scars.  Really I think all that's lost is 10K for about 5 years of good hair and to some people that's worth it?

Your are right, you could just shave that tuff of hair off if you lost the hair behind it. Some guys though  fear shaving their head and want to hold onto every strand of hair they have.

If anyone is looking at a HT they should be thinking long term, what happens to the hair beside or behind the transplanted hair ? Maybe another HT ?

One should plan for the worst case scenario , whatever that plan will be that that individual feels comfortable with. No matter what one does they can't stop nature, there is no cure for baldness.

If you spend 10k is it a waste of money ?  If it makes you happy it served its purpose.  You are going to spend the 10k on something that makes you happy anyway ,  whether it's a HT or whatever. Isn't most things we spend our money on a waste at the end of the day.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 

....Paddy...

I have diffuse thinning in the NW7 area, and even though no one can tell now, I'm going to be bald eventually even on meds.  I am thinking long term, why not thicken the front as much as possible, I got the money to burn.  Then when I no longer have the donor left, put a system in the back (don't have to deal with the hairline, which causes the most anxiety in a system) or just shave it all off, which was the inevitability to begin with.  You only live once, I'm not going to avoid a transplant just because one day it will not work.

• Like 1

I think that the odds that the native hair would thin behind a transplanted area a smaller than if you don't have any HT.

The new blood supply coming to the tranplanted hair is strong as these are large follicles producing strong hair,  so the thinning native hair behind and around are getting a better blood supply overall

go for the HT, but make sure that you go for FUE which gives you more options

Edited by elduterino

27 minutes ago, elduterino said:

I think that the odds that the native hair would thin behind a transplanted area a smaller than if you don't have any HT.

The new blood supply coming to the tranplanted hair is strong as these are large follicles producing strong hair,  so the thinning native hair behind and around are getting a better blood supply overall

go for the HT, but make sure that you go for FUE which gives you more options

Assuming you are otherwise healthy, blood supply has absolutely NOTHING to do with male pattern baldness. 

OP - getting an HT will definitely NOT help you keep your native hair if/when your MPB progresses over time. 

@yesplease

Not quite. Although blood supply is not the cause of genetic androgenic alopecia, once the follicle starts to shrink due to androgens, the blood supply is also reduced and its getting hard to reverse the process as it accelerates, and once the hair follicles dies its hard to bring it back to life with meds.

Bad scalp vascularization are known factors where HT results can lead to poor growth, such as in men smoking, or packing too much grafts in one area transplanted.

If your goal is to maintain hair with an anti androgenic regimen, having a good blow flow will help, to a certain extent at least.

See this study on MPB and PRP

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4134641/

It is hypothesised that growth factors released from platelets may act on stem cells in the bulge area of the follicles, stimulating the development of new follicles and promoting neovascularisation.

Edited by elduterino

The hair loss obviously concerns you because you are considering a HT and are on this forum. I agree its generally more important when your young and if you had a HT to strengthen the hairline/frontal area and eventually ran out of donor supply you would have a few options. They include leaving a spot in back uncovered which is not uncommon, wearing a hair system , BHT , SMP. or a combination BHT/SMP.