Dr. Diep FUE 1523 grafts - 35 year old Black Male

• Administrators

I would be great to see some shots of the donor as well. There’s been a lot of talk lately, so it would be good to see your donor.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Here’s a 7 month update. Not much has changed since last time. Like i said before, because of my diffuse thinning I can’t really show you guys a pic after weeks of growth.. i just look like a guy who’s balding with a hairline. Ironically I’ve been on fin since the transplant and it’s not really improving anything. I’d try minoxidil but it made my scalp red and itchy before. 

i have zero problems with the donor area besides some dryness and an ingrown hair every now and then. 

ive included a pic of me outside with the harshest photo filter so you can see the density difference.  I’m hoping the front continues to get more density. Right now I can wear my hair cut low outside with no one the wiser, but if you look closely you can see the difference in density. 

4A2A0471-36A6-41BC-805D-44483EEAEA76.jpeg

EC78281C-E589-4EC0-914A-C671C36D5609.jpeg

EDA496EB-5668-48AF-A165-5F65D4B85C9B.jpeg

8D772F72-0B5E-4BDB-A675-7AD78A9A1F3B.jpeg

• Administrators

Looks fantastic, the hairline frames your face perfectly. Glad to see your donor is a non-issue.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 1 month later...

Alright lads, time for a proper update. I realized that I was doing this thread a disservice by not posting proper before and after photos. I’m at 8 months and got my first professional haircut. The barber didn’t even notice I had a transplant. 

Before I post pics I want to reflect a bit... I realized I didn’t have many before photos because I hated seeing my hairline. So most of my photos are with hats on or from my good side.  The most noticeable different is the front hairline. It’s like night and day. The confidence boost that comes with this is crazy.  It’s worth every penny imo. I’m in my late 30s so being able to frame my face properly and look younger is amazing. 

finally, I still have some thinning in my right crown. That was evident before the transplant so it hasn’t changed. Overall I’m happy with the way things are. Like I said before I can just cut my hair lower. I don’t have any donor area damage so I have that luxury

Let me know if you guys have any questions.   

E58E8BF4-F503-4B5D-A5E3-39B34293BCDE.jpeg

4CACFEDD-9904-4AE9-8064-85F07E245C7E.jpeg

9EE23C33-56C3-4236-9C22-2666F2D18A83.jpeg

87D4D910-198C-436E-A359-8AA14CD90F22.jpeg

9A50074C-C76C-4108-B915-9D8F41FE09AF.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wow the pictures say it all. You look amazing 🤩 at least 10 years younger 🙌🏼

• Like 1

View my thread

• Moderators

Looks like it turned out really well.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Congrats man, looks awesome! 🙌🏾 Being a month behind you, I’ve really appreciated hearing about and seeing your journey. 

Couple questions: 

Did you notice any additional growth the last month or two, or was it mainly just hairs getting thicker?

Any comments on density? Looks great in pictures but curious if you’re still able to distinguish where the recipient area starts?

33 minutes ago, krillin said:

Congrats man, looks awesome! 🙌🏾 Being a month behind you, I’ve really appreciated hearing about and seeing your journey. 

Couple questions: 

Did you notice any additional growth the last month or two, or was it mainly just hairs getting thicker?

Any comments on density? Looks great in pictures but curious if you’re still able to distinguish where the recipient area starts?

Thanks.

It's mostly just been getting thicker and more dense.  I can still tell where the recipient area starts but that's mostly because I know my hair.  The recipient area is just slightly less dense.  The good news is that both types of hair are growing at the same rate.  So when I cut it, it comes back even.

I'm hoping that when I get closer to a year it will be completely indistinguishable.  

Best of luck with your progress!  Getting your hair back is such a great feeling.

• Administrators

How’s the reaction been from people around you? I’d imagine most people see the difference but can’t tell what’s different.

View my thread

23 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How’s the reaction been from people around you? I’d imagine most people see the difference but can’t tell what’s different.

Honestly nobody can really tell.   I didn't do a drastic transformation, it's only 1500 grafts and I had been keeping my hair pretty low to lessen the affect over the years.  My own mother hasn't really noticed.  😂  All she's said is "You look good."

The biggest benefit has been covid keeping everyone in the house.  People haven't seen me in so long they've probably forgotten what it looks like.  If anybody were to ask I'd just say I grew my hair out or hopped on medication.  

There was only one time, around month 4 when I was out and one of my female friends kept staring at me saying, "Something looks different. Did you lose weight?"  I told her yes but she was skeptical, drew her eyes to my hair, and said "nah that's not it. It's something else.  🤔  I just shrugged my shoulders and she dropped it.  But when I looked in the mirror right after there wasn't anything noticeable.

The FUNNIEST scenario was when I was sitting around at the park talking with some guy friends and one of them goes, "It's not fair you still have your hairline."  I'd honestly tell him if he was open to surgery.  I've teased the topic and he laughed at the idea. 

The only thing I could imagine is someone goes through my IG photo history but like I said before, I didn't really take many pics without hats or with my head at an unflattering angle.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 1:49 PM, Norman Osborne Waves said:

Honestly nobody can really tell.   I didn't do a drastic transformation, it's only 1500 grafts and I had been keeping my hair pretty low to lessen the affect over the years.  My own mother hasn't really noticed.  😂  All she's said is "You look good."

The biggest benefit has been covid keeping everyone in the house.  People haven't seen me in so long they've probably forgotten what it looks like.  If anybody were to ask I'd just say I grew my hair out or hopped on medication.  

There was only one time, around month 4 when I was out and one of my female friends kept staring at me saying, "Something looks different. Did you lose weight?"  I told her yes but she was skeptical, drew her eyes to my hair, and said "nah that's not it. It's something else.  🤔  I just shrugged my shoulders and she dropped it.  But when I looked in the mirror right after there wasn't anything noticeable.

The FUNNIEST scenario was when I was sitting around at the park talking with some guy friends and one of them goes, "It's not fair you still have your hairline."  I'd honestly tell him if he was open to surgery.  I've teased the topic and he laughed at the idea. 

The only thing I could imagine is someone goes through my IG photo history but like I said before, I didn't really take many pics without hats or with my head at an unflattering angle.

Looks great man. Do you think you will need crown Work down the line?

• Valued Contributor

NOW that looks like one of the most natural results I've seen. Your hair all over looks really balanced and having curly hair is a definite plus. I've just read through your entire thread. The change while in many ways is subtle (compared to say covering a Norwood 6) yet at the same time you really do look ten years younger. BTW have you found the use of finasteride has helped in 'thickening' your hair or halting anymore hair loss? Your crown actually looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

NOW that looks like one of the most natural results I've seen. Your hair all over looks really balanced and having curly hair is a definite plus. I've just read through your entire thread. The change while in many ways is subtle (compared to say covering a Norwood 6) yet at the same time you really do look ten years younger. BTW have you found the use of finasteride has helped in 'thickening' your hair or halting anymore hair loss? Your crown actually looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, yeah I agree.  The hair loss to transplant was kinda perfect in it's subtlety.  Enough to make a different but not drastic to wear people definitely know I got something done.  I haven't noticed anything with Fin tbh.  I only take 1mg every other day though.  I honestly don't think I needed to take it.

8 hours ago, Chances101 said:

Looks great man. Do you think you will need crown Work down the line?

If it stays like it is then I'll just keep my hair as-is.  If I had more hairloss... maybe.  I'm pushing 40 so I'm okay with not having dense hair all over.  The good thing is my donor area is still ripe for more harvesting.  But I doubt I get more work done tbh.

8 hours ago, Chances101 said:

Also brother quick question . How long did you wait before you wore a du rag ? Or baseball cap? Post surgery 

Maybe 10 days for a hat.  I honestly didn't wear a du rag for a couple of months.  Even then I kept it loose.

• Administrators
On 9/25/2020 at 11:49 AM, Norman Osborne Waves said:

The irony is real. In your case, I do think it's difficult to notice unless you're staring at a side by side picture, then it's like WOW. 

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

Your entire scalp just looks so natural. Diep really did an excellent job and with so few grafts. This is inspirational, man! It’s a 10. AND you still have quite a few months left of maturation.

Congratulations!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great transformation mate, you look great!

there’s been a lot of talk about this doc lately, wanted to get your input. How was your overall experience? 

I was reading that all of his donors look like grounded meat, but I can’t see any scarring in your donor area, it looks good.

Also, noticed your before pic one side was receding higher, I’ve got the same thing. Did you need more grafts on that side? 

On 11/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, Hairgain22 said:

Great transformation mate, you look great!

there’s been a lot of talk about this doc lately, wanted to get your input. How was your overall experience? 

I was reading that all of his donors look like grounded meat, but I can’t see any scarring in your donor area, it looks good.

Also, noticed your before pic one side was receding higher, I’ve got the same thing. Did you need more grafts on that side? 

Yeah I've seen a few threads about him on here.  I won't lie, he uses a higher diameter punch than other places.  My donor looked crazy after the surgery but it's healed 100%.  Literally can't tell at all.

My right temple was receding higher.  I told Diep to put some grafts to fill in that area as well.  So yeah I needed more on the right side.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Your hair looks amazing in my opinion, shaved off years literally.

View my thread

Glad you’re still staying active on the boards and healing/growing well!

I’m especially happy your donor has healed so well, but I wanted to get more details on what exactly you mean by “literally can’t tell at all”. Do you not even notice the scarring yourself anymore when your scalp is exposed (like under certain lighting or how your hair is brushed)? I had a similar procedure (1500 FUE on black/AA hair, except I’m 26) done by Diep but I’m driving myself nuts with my donor. Its improved since looking like Swiss cheese but now (9 months in) it’s still often itchy and I can feel the difference (raised bumps) compared to the untouched top of my head. I know it depends on genetics, but I’m losing hope on any longterm improvements since my understanding is that FUE scars reach their “final” stage quicker than FUT scars. 

I figure it’s either like Melvin said and you truly heal like Wolverine or I just need to recalibrate myself on the reality of FUE scarring (ie no more low fades for your boy). 😂

13 hours ago, krillin said:

Glad you’re still staying active on the boards and healing/growing well!

I’m especially happy your donor has healed so well, but I wanted to get more details on what exactly you mean by “literally can’t tell at all”. Do you not even notice the scarring yourself anymore when your scalp is exposed (like under certain lighting or how your hair is brushed)? I had a similar procedure (1500 FUE on black/AA hair, except I’m 26) done by Diep but I’m driving myself nuts with my donor. Its improved since looking like Swiss cheese but now (9 months in) it’s still often itchy and I can feel the difference (raised bumps) compared to the untouched top of my head. I know it depends on genetics, but I’m losing hope on any longterm improvements since my understanding is that FUE scars reach their “final” stage quicker than FUT scars. 

I figure it’s either like Melvin said and you truly heal like Wolverine or I just need to recalibrate myself on the reality of FUE scarring (ie no more low fades for your boy). 😂

It’s pretty hard for me to tell with my donor. If I get a bald fade you might be able to see some slight scarring if you look close but it’s really not noticeable. I may in fact be a great healer tho. I grew up getting a lot of rough haircuts so my scalp isn’t tender at all. I’ll try to get a real close HD pic next time I get my hair faded that close. 

I was getting the occasional ingrown hair in the back of my head but even those have gone away