Dr. Diep FUE 1523 grafts - 35 year old Black Male

4 Month Update

The good: my transplanted hair seems to be growing fine. No real issues. Just being patient because it grows slower than the rest. 

The Bad: Growing my hair out during the quarantine has proven true some of my worst fears... the middle of my head and crown are noticeably thin. It sucks because I can’t grow my hair out beyond a couple weeks before it’s noticeable. 

The reality: I’m pretty sure I’ll get what I initially came in for, a lowered hairline. If I keep my hair low it looks really good. Even now most people can’t tell I had a transplant.  Given the diffuse thinning on my crown and vertex I’ll have to consider a second transplant to fix it. That’s not on the horizon anytime soon. 

I COULD hop on minoxidil. Especially since I’m already on Fin. I still might but I hate how it goes away soon as you stop. I sought out a HT for a permanent solution. 

Anyway, here are the pics. Sides + front and a top view of my head when I grew it out more. 

9D73CA91-38F3-42D0-A150-ED4DEED8F940.jpeg

238A1DD6-AAFA-4D03-8A39-6C1C9C388E1A.jpeg

4D327CA7-9AB2-4D62-82B2-E52E49AF0B38.jpeg

CF61E21C-2E11-4C9E-A359-A2F2948670D9.jpeg

On 5/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, Norman Osborne Waves said:

Just posted one brodie.

two questions:

1 - did he transplant into any areas that had native hair? 

2 - do you feel that the transplanted hairs are growing in a similar direction and pattern as your native hair ? 

If you haven’t already , look into intense scalp massages for hair loss as well as micro needling  (I recommend dermastamp, not a roller ). 

These methods could help you maintain / improve your crown. 

Once your transplant finishes growing,  you may just need some well placed fibers to blend in the rest of your hair. 

im going to follow your case closely , as Diep is one of the doctors I’m considering. 

1 hour ago, curlyq52 said:

two questions:

1 - did he transplant into any areas that had native hair? 

2 - do you feel that the transplanted hairs are growing in a similar direction and pattern as your native hair ? 

If you haven’t already , look into intense scalp massages for hair loss as well as micro needling  (I recommend dermastamp, not a roller ). 

These methods could help you maintain / improve your crown. 

Once your transplant finishes growing,  you may just need some well placed fibers to blend in the rest of your hair. 

im going to follow your case closely , as Diep is one of the doctors I’m considering. 

1.  No.  All my hair was transplanted to lower my hairline and strenghten temples where no hair was.

2.  So far, yes.  But I plan on brushing more once it's fully grown.

I'm fully confident I could use fibers.  I could use them right now actually but I wanted to avoid temporary fixes.  I'll drop another update this week once I cut my hair down so you guys can see what it looks like.  It looks much better when all the hair is the same level.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, Norman Osborne Waves said:

The Bad: Growing my hair out during the quarantine has proven true some of my worst fears... the middle of my head and crown are noticeably thin. It sucks because I can’t grow my hair out beyond a couple weeks before it’s noticeable. 

Yeah. This is what I was worried about earlier. It looks good when it's short though.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, Norman Osborne Waves said:

1.  No.  All my hair was transplanted to lower my hairline and strenghten temples where no hair was.

2.  So far, yes.  But I plan on brushing more once it's fully grown.

I'm fully confident I could use fibers.  I could use them right now actually but I wanted to avoid temporary fixes.  I'll drop another update this week once I cut my hair down so you guys can see what it looks like.  It looks much better when all the hair is the same level.

Things are looking good for 4 months. I’m going to PM you later to ask some more detailed questions about your experience , if you don’t mind 

• Administrators

Wow big improvement at 4 months already. Thanks for the details, including the bad, it's definitely important to note. That said, I think your hair is going to look great with a fade, eager to see the difference. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress 👍

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, curlyq52 said:

Things are looking good for 4 months. I’m going to PM you later to ask some more detailed questions about your experience , if you don’t mind 

Sure just hit me up.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:12 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow big improvement at 4 months already. Thanks for the details, including the bad, it's definitely important to note. That said, I think your hair is going to look great with a fade, eager to see the difference. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress 👍

Thanks! I'm going to upload another pic after I cut my hair.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I would love to see an update.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 month update. Nothing new to really talk about. My transplanted hair is still growing. But it’s still not as dense as the hairs around it.  If I cut it even all over you can’t tell... I just would like to wear my hair longer. I’ve included pics of it now and when I cut it down some. 

I will say that I’m still pretty happy because I looked at my passport pic and it was appalling how big my forehead was!

42B74248-59C1-4047-A19D-B0CBE3DEF8B4.jpeg

4736C102-31A4-4CBF-BCBC-B9FD08666F31.jpeg

22568B1B-ABC4-418F-9360-5D3BA16EA6E4.jpeg

2B458F29-E662-49B9-B602-D2853ABFFFE4.jpeg

AE214FBD-9D30-4522-BA2E-753497D4CCD4.jpeg

Coming along VERY nicely, huge improvement especially after the haircut. I’m a Diep patient (about a month or 2 behind you) so seeing your progress has me very excited. 🙂

How’s your donor healing? It looks good in pictures but wondering if you’ve experienced in-grown hairs or other irritations. 

Edited by krillin

• Administrators

I have to say it looks fantastic for 6 months, it's amazing how well-framed your face is now, I just looked back at your previous pics and the change is drastic. Thanks for coming back and keeping us updated 🙏

View my thread

2 hours ago, krillin said:

Coming along VERY nicely, huge improvement especially after the haircut. I’m a Diep patient (about a month or 2 behind you) so seeing your progress has me very excited. 🙂

How’s your donor healing? It looks good in pictures but wondering if you’ve experienced in-grown hairs or other irritations. 

My donor is 100% healed and has been for some time now. Except for an ingrown hair in the back or two that periodically pops up. Best wishes to you on your journey. 

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have to say it looks fantastic for 6 months, it's amazing how well-framed your face is now, I just looked back at your previous pics and the change is drastic. Thanks for coming back and keeping us updated 🙏

Thanks for the feedback

• Moderators

It looks really good on you.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

You look at least 10 years younger, just did a side by side 😳 eager to see your progress. 

6B0B3D26-2580-4FA2-9490-9968407D69EB.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

That haircut is was I’m hoping to get to once I’m further along..curious, how’d you cut your hair in your 6 month update (guard length, with vs against the grain, did you have to cut the recipient different than the rest, etc)?

On 7/16/2020 at 7:36 PM, krillin said:

That haircut is was I’m hoping to get to once I’m further along..curious, how’d you cut your hair in your 6 month update (guard length, with vs against the grain, did you have to cut the recipient different than the rest, etc)?

1 guard - Wahl clippers with the grain.  I forgot what I used for the sides (homemade fade.)

I only used scissors on the recipient hair until most recently.  

• 1 month later...

Curious, did/are you experiencing itchiness in your donor? I’m about a month behind you (@ ~6 months now) and can feel slightly raised bumps (kinda like goosebumps) spread pretty consistently in the donor. It’s especially itchy after showering/shampooing. Wondering if this is common or something I should ask Diep about.  

Anyway, hope you’ve been well man, looking forward to more updates :)

9 hours ago, krillin said:

Curious, did/are you experiencing itchiness in your donor? I’m about a month behind you (@ ~6 months now) and can feel slightly raised bumps (kinda like goosebumps) spread pretty consistently in the donor. It’s especially itchy after showering/shampooing. Wondering if this is common or something I should ask Diep about.  

Anyway, hope you’ve been well man, looking forward to more updates :)

No itchiness.  I do have some dryness that I noticed last time I cut my hair.  My scalp was REALLY dry.  It's a situation I'm monitoring.  I also have ingrown hairs from time to time.

Thanks for the nudge.  I'll drop some new pics in the next couple of days.