Dr. Blake Bloxham FUT 1986 Grafts

Tbcruz

I wanted to start this thread to document my upcoming procedure with Dr. Bloxham (feb. 4th).

A little nervous about getting this done not only because it’s fut but because my first procedure didn’t give me the density I wanted.

My hair loss has stabilized at least that I know of it’s been the same before my first procedure and hasn’t changed after. As far as my native hair.

Any one that has had an Fut procedure how was the recover as far as the scar ?

Pain wise what was the worse part ?

How was the stable removal did it hurt ?

and has anyone ever got smp into the scar to help camouflage it and if so do you have pictures ? 

thank you! 
btw my 1st procedure was documented on here if you search it with Dr. Nader in Mexico.

can you post pics of what you'll be starting with? I'll be following. Dr Bloxham puts out good work. I may be eyeing a FUT procedure in my future as well. How long are you taking off of work? That's what I'm most nervous about. disguising it.

>I wanted to start this thread to document my upcoming procedure with Dr. Bloxham (feb. 4th).

Good luck.  He seems a stand up guy.

>Any one that has had an Fut procedure how was the recover as far as the scar ?

Depending on how much is taken (mine was quite wide - 2.7cm at its widest!) it could feel quite tight for a week.  I found that then all of a sudden the tightness seemed to recede a lot after 2 weeks.  It did take a gradual 12 months until things felt fully 'normal'.

The most critical period seems to be while the scar remains 'pink'.  Once it become 'white' in color the risk of stretching has pretty much gone.  I think for me it took 4/5 months.

>Pain wise what was the worse part ?

Sleeping on sutures (use a travel pillow).  Annoying but you can get through it with pain medication and shouldn't last more than 2 weeks and once suture are out.

>How was the stable removal did it hurt ?

No not really.  The odd suture stung a bit but nothing major.

>and has anyone ever got smp into the scar to help camouflage it and if so do you have pictures ? 

Hopefully you wont need to and I'm sure Dr BB wouldn't be reckless with too big a strip.  FUE into scar would be a better option but only if you are desperate for shorter hair styles and confident you will never need more HTs (or it's a waste of money).

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

can you post pics of what you'll be starting with? I'll be following. Dr Bloxham puts out good work. I may be eyeing a FUT procedure in my future as well. How long are you taking off of work? That's what I'm most nervous about. disguising it.

Tomorrow I will post pictures for sure. I’m getting it done on a tuesday So I’ll be off from work the 4th(Tuesday) til the 24th(Monday) about 3 weeks should be enough time I guess plus I’ve been letting my hair grow so hopefully by then the back will be completely covered and the front I’ll be wearing a hat for awhile again. I’m not so nervous about hiding the scar because the hair will cover it. I’m mostly nervous about going through this process again. Wearing hats and not doing much til I get some coverage and over thinking about when I do go out if I’m in a situation we’re I’m forced to take off my hat. I just hope this time around I’m happy with my results.

38 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

>I wanted to start this thread to document my upcoming procedure with Dr. Bloxham (feb. 4th).

Good luck.  He seems a stand up guy.

>Any one that has had an Fut procedure how was the recover as far as the scar ?

Depending on how much is taken (mine was quite wide - 2.7cm at its widest!) it could feel quite tight for a week.  I found that then all of a sudden the tightness seemed to recede a lot after 2 weeks.  It did take a gradual 12 months until things felt fully 'normal'.

The most critical period seems to be while the scar remains 'pink'.  Once it become 'white' in color the risk of stretching has pretty much gone.  I think for me it took 4/5 months.

>Pain wise what was the worse part ?

Sleeping on sutures (use a travel pillow).  Annoying but you can get through it with pain medication and shouldn't last more than 2 weeks and once suture are out.

>How was the stable removal did it hurt ?

No not really.  The odd suture stung a bit but nothing major.

>and has anyone ever got smp into the scar to help camouflage it and if so do you have pictures ? 

Hopefully you wont need to and I'm sure Dr BB wouldn't be reckless with too big a strip.  FUE into scar would be a better option but only if you are desperate for shorter hair styles and confident you will never need more HTs (or it's a waste of money).

Thanks for answering my questions btw your results are great lol I’m praying my results come close to yours 🤞🏻.

how low can you go in the back with the scar ? 

did you get fue put into your scar ?

If so how do you like it ?

How far down can you take the donor with fue into the scar  ? 

2 minutes ago, Tbcruz said:

Tomorrow I will post pictures for sure. I’m getting it done on a tuesday So I’ll be off from work the 4th(Tuesday) til the 24th(Monday) about 3 weeks should be enough time I guess plus I’ve been letting my hair grow so hopefully by then the back will be completely covered and the front I’ll be wearing a hat for awhile again. I’m not so nervous about hiding the scar because the hair will cover it. I’m mostly nervous about going through this process again. Wearing hats and not doing much til I get some coverage and over thinking about when I do go out if I’m in a situation we’re I’m forced to take off my hat. I just hope this time around I’m happy with my results.

Thanks for answering my questions btw your results are great lol I’m praying my results come close to yours 🤞🏻.

how low can you go in the back with the scar ? 

did you get fue put into your scar ?

If so how do you like it ?

How far down can you take the donor with fue into the scar  ? 

Thanks mate. 

Grade 4 (12mm) comfortably. Grade 3 scar slightly visible to the trained eye if someone were looking for it. 

Not had FUE into scar but it crossed my mind if in say 20 years I decided to just buzz it all short. Might take 300-400 FUE though. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Current situation 

btw I’m 30 

with my hair combed forward masks most of the loss. 

594B1243-E1E9-4C61-97FD-39209EACC710.jpeg

68044494-FDC3-49A9-97B3-4E9C14F4BE2F.jpeg

B6FFF552-8D12-491E-BD22-3855564CC75F.jpeg

8818F639-7418-424D-8C93-76903EB99BE4.jpeg

7081A669-9A10-4EB0-91A0-A6A41518F94E.jpeg

7C08E5CC-FF68-4CCF-B22B-37C83D3347B9.jpeg

Edited by Tbcruz

18 hours ago, Tbcruz said:

I wanted to start this thread to document my upcoming procedure with Dr. Bloxham (feb. 4th).

A little nervous about getting this done not only because it’s fut but because my first procedure didn’t give me the density I wanted.

My hair loss has stabilized at least that I know of it’s been the same before my first procedure and hasn’t changed after. As far as my native hair.

Any one that has had an Fut procedure how was the recover as far as the scar ?

Pain wise what was the worse part ?

How was the stable removal did it hurt ?

and has anyone ever got smp into the scar to help camouflage it and if so do you have pictures ? 

thank you! 
btw my 1st procedure was documented on here if you search it with Dr. Nader in Mexico.

Did you have FUT the first time?  Sounds like the doctor is old school.  (It was believed a separation in between grafts was needed to allow for graft survival.  The global concept was that grafts competed for blood supply).  And typically, during a consultation, a second procedure was discussed.  My first question, how much native hair did you have back then?  Did you do/are you still doing any type of medical therapy?  Your belief you've stabilized is a "deranged thought." The fact is, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  You may be stabled for years and, all of the sudden, you'll experience aggressive loss.  Or, the loss may be so gradual you won't even notice.  Please get on something.  This will help you with overall density.  

Staples? That's a thing of the past.  Should be sutures and these are normally removed 10-14 days post op.  It is not fun but it only lasts a few minutes. For optimal healing, do not sleep on your side.  Rather, sleep sitting up to avoid tension.  Also, avoid any type of neck exercise.  Push-ups, leg presses are OK.  

5 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Did you have FUT the first time?  Sounds like the doctor is old school.  (It was believed a separation in between grafts was needed to allow for graft survival.  The global concept was that grafts competed for blood supply).  And typically, during a consultation, a second procedure was discussed.  My first question, how much native hair did you have back then?  Did you do/are you still doing any type of medical therapy?  Your belief you've stabilized is a "deranged thought." The fact is, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  You may be stabled for years and, all of the sudden, you'll experience aggressive loss.  Or, the loss may be so gradual you won't even notice.  Please get on something.  This will help you with overall density.  

Staples? That's a thing of the past.  Should be sutures and these are normally removed 10-14 days post op.  It is not fun but it only lasts a few minutes. For optimal healing, do not sleep on your side.  Rather, sleep sitting up to avoid tension.  Also, avoid any type of neck exercise.  Push-ups, leg presses are OK.  

First time no I had a fue. The first procedure made a huge cosmetic difference But the density very low and on closer examination some hairs did not grow. (Link to that thread below)

based on what I know now about both procedures (fue & fut)i want to make sure i put my self in the best possible situation for a good result now and further down the line to do more.

no medication but once I get the procedure done I’m thinking of giving fin a try. 

here is the thread for first procedure.

Hey!  I had a procedure 2.25K grafts w/Dr. Feller in 2004 with a similar balding pattern & similar grafts up to then (1400 grafts).  Bloxham will pack 'em in tight and you'll have at least 5-6 years of good hair if you do probably 2.5K grafts or so.

As a 1st strip you'll probably see really good results by month 5 to 6 (believe it or not).  I was completely transformed in the frontal zone & hairline by month 8.

If you have regular laxity - your scar (say 2k-3k grafts) will be most likely neglible except at the lowest haircut level.  Feller & Bloxham never do megasessions, so the scar shouldn't be a huge issue for you.

Sure staples sting a bit having 'em taken out after like 12 days - but it won't take long.  My sister did that for me (she's a nurse). 

Having strip is a major surgery - stay on top of the pain meds and you'll be fine.  I won't lie - it is crazy having a chunk of your scalp excised out of your head and stitched back.  It will be tight and sore for several days.  And numb.  But just deal and be careful and after a week or so you'll be used to it as symptoms lessen.  From there on out it will become less and less noticeable especially after stitches are out.

Since you are a balding guy before 30 - and probably started before age 25 - if you want to conserve the quality of your donor and delay balding in mid-vertex into crown as long as possible. 

Consider Dutasteride (Avodart) or Propecia & at least minox 1X per day (if foam) or a very small dose of oral minox.  Also consider laser therapy 4-5X's per week to keep your current hair in the best healthy state & a longer growing cycle.  This will help delay the inevitable depending on how fast you bald as you get older.

Hairloss continues and sometimes accelerates in late 30's into mid 40's - we never really know.

About 7 years after my work was done by Dr. Feller I noticed more balding (I was 44 by then) in the mid-vertex and going into my crown. 

So, if you are 30 you can probably get by until near 40 before another surgery if you continue to bald into your crown and vertex.

Good luck!  The clinic you are going to is outstanding - a bit pricey - but you'll get excellent results & bang for your buck for many years.

Keep us informed!  Keep those painkillers handy - but you are local and not having to fly after strip surgery is a big bonus (pressure from flight levels right after surgery are painful in the strip area).

Don't drink for at least a week after surgery and if you can - get daily aftercare at the clinic for a few days after if you can.

Edited by jjsrader
added some

Had an Fut procedure at T and D

the pain during, was very minimal, just a few times getting the needles, maybe a 2 or 3 at most

the pain the next 12 days was also very minimal, hardly took pain pills, only for precaution 

and taking out the sutures was also pretty easy, maybe a 2 or 3 for a few seconds on some of the stitches

such an easy process over all

• Administrators

Good luck Dr. Bloxham is an excellent choice

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 hours ago, jjsrader said:

Hey!  I had a procedure 2.25K grafts w/Dr. Feller in 2004 with a similar balding pattern & similar grafts up to then (1400 grafts).  Bloxham will pack 'em in tight and you'll have at least 5-6 years of good hair if you do probably 2.5K grafts or so.

As a 1st strip you'll probably see really good results by month 5 to 6 (believe it or not).  I was completely transformed in the frontal zone & hairline by month 8.

If you have regular laxity - your scar (say 2k-3k grafts) will be most likely neglible except at the lowest haircut level.  Feller & Bloxham never do megasessions, so the scar shouldn't be a huge issue for you.

Sure staples sting a bit having 'em taken out after like 12 days - but it won't take long.  My sister did that for me (she's a nurse). 

Having strip is a major surgery - stay on top of the pain meds and you'll be fine.  I won't lie - it is crazy having a chunk of your scalp excised out of your head and stitched back.  It will be tight and sore for several days.  And numb.  But just deal and be careful and after a week or so you'll be used to it as symptoms lessen.  From there on out it will become less and less noticeable especially after stitches are out.

Since you are a balding guy before 30 - and probably started before age 25 - if you want to conserve the quality of your donor and delay balding in mid-vertex into crown as long as possible. 

Consider Dutasteride (Avodart) or Propecia & at least minox 1X per day (if foam) or a very small dose of oral minox.  Also consider laser therapy 4-5X's per week to keep your current hair in the best healthy state & a longer growing cycle.  This will help delay the inevitable depending on how fast you bald as you get older.

Hairloss continues and sometimes accelerates in late 30's into mid 40's - we never really know.

About 7 years after my work was done by Dr. Feller I noticed more balding (I was 44 by then) in the mid-vertex and going into my crown. 

So, if you are 30 you can probably get by until near 40 before another surgery if you continue to bald into your crown and vertex.

Good luck!  The clinic you are going to is outstanding - a bit pricey - but you'll get excellent results & bang for your buck for many years.

Keep us informed!  Keep those painkillers handy - but you are local and not having to fly after strip surgery is a big bonus (pressure from flight levels right after surgery are painful in the strip area).

Don't drink for at least a week after surgery and if you can - get daily aftercare at the clinic for a few days after if you can.

Thanks for the response. I’m very confident in Dr. Bloxham giving me the result I want. When I’m there I will ask him for his take on what meds I should take.

19 hours ago, anzel2002 said:

Had an Fut procedure at T and D

the pain during, was very minimal, just a few times getting the needles, maybe a 2 or 3 at most

the pain the next 12 days was also very minimal, hardly took pain pills, only for precaution 

and taking out the sutures was also pretty easy, maybe a 2 or 3 for a few seconds on some of the stitches

such an easy process over all

i hope the same goes for me thanks for the response 

19 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Good luck Dr. Bloxham is an excellent choice

Thanks Melvin 

• 4 weeks later...

So the day finally came today.

dont want to Write a book so I’ll Keep it short and simple.

1986 grafts was what we got out.

Rebuilt the frontal third.

Dr. Bloxham said my hair caliber is above average and my grafts were small, long and frágil He said that is a perfect combination for fut not so much fue.

Explains the results I got from my first procedure. Good thing is my donor wasn’t in horrible condition but deff limites the amount of grafts he could of gotten.

procedure was pretty much pain less except the injections. Also it was very uncomfortable laying down for that long

because of my first procedure there was a lot of scaring in the recipient area so placing the grafts took much longer than doing it on a virgin head. The grafts kept popping out but Dr. Bloxham said that it will not effect the result just will take longer to complete the procedure. Thank god.

and I will be starting finasteride as well tomorrow when I go to the pharmacy.

here are some pictures ...

Dr Bloxham is awesome and so is his staff I wish I would of went to him from the get. But Oh well .

enjoy

*Plan

0AF4D4F5-4E81-479C-9769-29374983167A.jpeg

*slits

852A7C25-98EC-46C5-BA6D-ABE88E8C73A5.png

*end of day

AC435BCA-AE72-4584-9725-92EDF1D6D38C.jpeg

*right now in bed 

12C03144-62DB-4CF1-9237-AEBD98911971.jpeg

Edited by Tbcruz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

congrats man. please keep us updated

Thanks hairlosspa,

have you made a decision yet on your procedure?

• Administrators

Congratulations, Dr. Bloxham is doing great work. I look forward to seeing your progress. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:42 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Congratulations, Dr. Bloxham is doing great work. I look forward to seeing your progress. 

Thank you Melvin 

Edited by Tbcruz

1 hour ago, Tbcruz said:

Thanks hairlosspa,

have you made a decision yet on your procedure?

idk bro. i was just doing a total 360 look in my bathroom. it’s not so bad right now. not sure if you’ve seen my thread but i’ve been going in waves of great gains from finasteride. to great sheds on finasteride. it’s a really tough decision. i emailed H&W about possible open dates in march/april and I’ll decide after seeing that. I’m going on a cruise in June so need enough time to recover if I do get a procedure 

9 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

idk bro. i was just doing a total 360 look in my bathroom. it’s not so bad right now. not sure if you’ve seen my thread but i’ve been going in waves of great gains from finasteride. to great sheds on finasteride. it’s a really tough decision. i emailed H&W about possible open dates in march/april and I’ll decide after seeing that. I’m going on a cruise in June so need enough time to recover if I do get a procedure 

Yea I’ve been following your post. What finasteride did for you is amazing to honest. I’m going to give it a shot starting tomorrow hopefully I don’t get any sides. H&W was an option as well for me but ultimately I felt more comfortable with Dr Bloxham they both achieve great results to me. 

I would wait til after the wedding that’s what I did. I didn’t want to take any chances before I got married. What ever you decide to do good luck and I’m sure you’ll get what you want especially going to a clinic like h&w.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Edward926 said:

Tbcruz, congrats on the procedure. Looking forward in seeing your progress. 

Thank you Edward, appreciate it .. likewise 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Theyutube6 said:

Dr Bloxham is Great!! Can't go wrong with him. Everything will absolutely be worth it at the end

Thanks theyutube6,

I’d be happy if my hairline comes out like yours. 

5 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Work looks good, good luck with your healing and progress!

Thank you cosmo

• Like 1