The very worst Shock Loss

Hola,

Well I’m just over a month out from 1200 graft FUE surgery and after two amazing weeks where my new “peaky blinders” haircut got nothing but compliments... I get by far and away the worst shock loss I can find on the internet! 

Basically, I can’t find anyone else with it this bad - the threads on shock loss always go quiet after a few months (presumably it gets fixed and they don’t bother to tell us???) so I wanted to start this to see if anyone had ever seen anything similar, if they have any advice and... to let someone with the same know how I get on! 

Pics from a couple of days after surgery and today - as you can see, a huge missing “patch” below/behind my left temple that rises up into my existing hairline, smaller patch on the right side but has a worse affect upon my hairline.

I suppose the rollercoaster is that I expected to look awful for months, came out looking great, then looked like a Frankenstein creation.

Anyway, hope to hear from... anyone... soon!

thanks

CB2DF8D6-9B94-4B3A-BABF-E9D75109F3E6.jpeg

756E0355-9532-4D6C-BEE3-D4FFE1194014.jpeg

FB76435D-7CB0-4930-9513-185FB58415CC.jpeg

FF1C056C-4629-4261-839B-0FB91C435DAB.jpeg

Edited by Sybutwhy?

@Sybutwhy? shockloss can occur also for the still existing hair around the area where you got a transplantation. Some also have it in the donor area after surgery. There are different reasons for it, e.g. the hair follicles are already miniaturized and get too much stressed (as it is still a surgery) and fall off. If your hair follicles were healthy I would guess the hair growth returns. I myself had as well some shockloss of existing hair and after the normal hair cycle time it luckily came back. 

Did you consult your Doctor already and are you taking any meds like Minox?

All the best 

Carjoca

3 hours ago, Carjoca said:

@Sybutwhy? shockloss can occur also for the still existing hair around the area where you got a transplantation. Some also have it in the donor area after surgery. There are different reasons for it, e.g. the hair follicles are already miniaturized and get too much stressed (as it is still a surgery) and fall off. If your hair follicles were healthy I would guess the hair growth returns. I myself had as well some shockloss of existing hair and after the normal hair cycle time it luckily came back. 

Did you consult your Doctor already and are you taking any meds like Minox?

All the best 

Carjoca

I have a tiny bit in the donor area but obviously this is the bit that’s difficult to disguise!

yes, consulted the doctors and they said it was very rare to see it in the areas affected, maybe once a year out of hundreds of surgeries. I showed them the pictures after a couple of days and they said the bruising was a telltale sign that the areas had been particularly affected/vulnerable to shock loss.

Advised scalp looked healthy under the camera and to expect a full recovery before transplanted grafts come through. On minox (tbh the hair loss only started as soon as I went back on it) and propecia, dr has also lent me a laser comb just in case it will speed up growth cycle. 

it’s  just slightly unnerving that I can see so many pictures online of loss in the donor/recipient areas but no one with it below the hairline where the hair is (presumably) healthy.

thanks very much for the information and sharing that yours came back - any/all info is greatly appreciated atm.

3 hours ago, Egy said:

@Sybutwhy? a little further behind, but I think the shock loss can hit anywhere, as soon as I can I post photos.

That’d be brilliant - thank you! As per my reply to the post above, the drs believed the bruising you can see in pics 1&2 is a sign of the areas which suffered trauma/susceptible to shock loss.

There’s a tiny bit in donor/recipient areas too so I’m inclined to believe some people are just unlucky/react badly as overall my surgery & recovery was fantastic.

I have also some shock loss on the left side of my head and no hair was harvested nor implanted from that area it had nothing to do with the hair transplant, still have a patchy area on it from shock loss which I find strange. Hopefully grows back..

51 minutes ago, BadHairDay said:

I wonder if this could be alopecia areata? Maybe a local steroid injection will help

That was why I went in for the check up - apparently alopecia would show as damage to the skin? One to remember if it doesn’t come back!

4 hours ago, Egy said:

@Sybutwhy? This is the shock loss that has happened to me, and just at that point, the technicians didn't pick up so many follicles.

679286F4-0AFA-4329-9B74-A2049851F40D.jpeg

Ah it is a similar shape - it doesn’t look near the recipient or donor areas? How long after surgery was this?

1 hour ago, Lohvisa said:

I have also some shock loss on the left side of my head and no hair was harvested nor implanted from that area it had nothing to do with the hair transplant, still have a patchy area on it from shock loss which I find strange. Hopefully grows back..

Oh no - sorry you’re going through this too, how long ago was your procedure? If you have any pics it’d be good to compare!

11 minutes ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Ah it is a similar shape - it doesn’t look near the recipient or donor areas? How long after surgery was this?

It is closer to the donor area, it happened more or less a month later if I remember correctly.

6 minutes ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Ah so just a bit later than me. How is it looking now?

There is some hair sticking out, on the advice of the clinic I am putting minoxidil.

They say the regrowth times after a shock loss are the same as those of the transplanted, so from 3 months onwards and I should be there in a while. 🤷🏻‍♂️

56 minutes ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Oh no - sorry you’re going through this too, how long ago was your procedure? If you have any pics it’d be good to compare!

That's okay, it's not that bad, and hardly noticeable for people who don't know me (my scalp). My HT was 12 days ago, and I noticed the patchy area around 8 days post OP.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:24 PM, Lohvisa said:

That's okay, it's not that bad, and hardly noticeable for people who don't know me (my scalp). My HT was 12 days ago, and I noticed the patchy area around 8 days post OP.

Let me know how you get on - glad yours has stabilised so early!

4 minutes ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Let me know how you get on - glad yours has stabilised so early!

I feel like it is less prominent when I cut my hair shorter, rather when it's longer and you can see patches without hair. How's yours going??

• Moderators

Some years back I think someone posted on here the worst shock loss I ever saw. If I remember correctly almost the entire top and back of his head hair was totally gone from shock loss. It eventually all grew back in. I'm pretty sure it was posted on this forum.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I seem to have more ‘diffuse loss’ or over harvested donor, sorry to ask on your thread but seems on topic. What do you guys think? 

Its been an exact month since my op 3100 graft FUE. If it stays like this ill either have to grow it long or keep it low shave with FUE scars visible and pray to god the top fills in... 

2C37BC93-2206-4A08-BCCB-AFAA54E9D9D3.jpeg

759993E7-2C79-4FD7-9FDD-46037C089072.png

I had pretty bad shock loss, most likely due to localized anesthesia, general trauma and reduced blood flow to the area secondary to it most likely being directed to donor and recipient sites for repair. Shock loss should recover if in an area where the hair is DHT resistant. It is now however in a telogen state and could remain there for quite some time. I found many things that could help and explained them in my post. Feel free to check it out. It is not medical advice however and you should ask your doctor before trying any of the treatments I used. '

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - it’s 7 weeks since the op and 4 since all my bloody hair fell out. 
I think I can see a few new hairs and blackening of follicles that haven’t come through, but I have been obsessed with this for a month (and I have to cake my head in makeup) so probably imagining it.

I’m on minox and using a laser comb 2-3 times a week. Also on Boots hair supplements for whatever that’s worth, they taste really nice though.

923A2FA6-D570-4E69-9A46-D21F0060AA96.png

On 1/13/2020 at 7:16 AM, Blackweasel said:

I seem to have more ‘diffuse loss’ or over harvested donor, sorry to ask on your thread but seems on topic. What do you guys think? 

Its been an exact month since my op 3100 graft FUE. If it stays like this ill either have to grow it long or keep it low shave with FUE scars visible and pray to god the top fills in... 

2C37BC93-2206-4A08-BCCB-AFAA54E9D9D3.jpeg

759993E7-2C79-4FD7-9FDD-46037C089072.png

I have a bit of this too - particularly bad on the left side. Tbh yours really doesn’t look too bad, but I have patchy hair on the sides of my head anyway so it sort of blends for me.
From what I’ve seen shock loss at the back from FUE recovers quickly, would definitely grow it if I were you - will look fine a bit longer!