the most ethical person I've ever met in my life

duchaine

Hallo Guys,

today I had my HT with doc Pekiner in Ankara.

I went to the clinic, met the doctor, we designed my hairline, shaved my head, got anesthesia and the extraction started.
After some extraction, the doctor says "your grafts are too short, in telogen phase. sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something".
I have "nice hair" and the doctor said that, considering my donor area, the transplant could destroy my image.
He stopped the operation after extracting 170 grafts. He said I could put that in the crown area but I refused because I didn't want stop training for 1 months and paying attention to the receiving zone for only 170 poor quality grafts, that probably are going to die in a couple of years.
We discussed to use beard as donor, but he said that my beard is in thelogen as well, so it would be a good choice.
I paid an accountant month ago and he is going to give me back about half of that.

Just the make the things more clear, I attach some pic of mine, so you can see by yourself that apparently I'm one of that case that any other surgeon in the world would have accepted. Not Kaan, that said that the result would have Benn sub-optimal in the very next future and a failure in the long run. 

What can I say? 
Never met in my entire life a such ethical person. I'm not saying he is the most ethical doctor I've ever met (he is for sure). I say he is the most honest person I've ever met!

I need to spent some good words for his staff/clinique.
They are all great guys. Tugba is nice and kind as well as Saide. I do not the names of the other guys but the are great too.
The give you all the attention you need as well as the doctor does. He spent almost one hour only to design my hairline, that we changed several times. Then, after the extraction, he spent another hours giving suggestion for my medical therapy.

as @Portugal25 said, He brought the customer care to another level. I strongly suggest to @Melvin-Moderator to add his name on the list of suggested surgeons.

34268820_10155999142603884_6856764096625246208_n.jpg

73352322_3965348133490698_5313303148528402432_n.thumb.jpg.4af414e8bb8b8a249b644945959665ba.jpg

77113552_955758348156718_7312587077374181376_n-2.thumb.jpg.8dadea23026a8b9b12e2b9cb667ad09e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry about this Duchaine but you are lucky you chose Dr. Pekiner because any of the many Turkish hairmill clinics would have just kept their mouth shut and taken your money.

The same thing happened to my friend Goncalo last month and he is very thankful he went to Dr. Pekiner.

This is a Doctor that is not trying to get our money this is a Doctor that puts the patient first and will not do surgery if there’s a risk of bad outcome. 

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

sorry for you Duchaine and can feel with you! At least be happy you found a Dr. that is taking care of the patients long term success as well as his own as he wants to deliver great and lasting results and the short term money he will get will be counter productive for his future reputation which is a key element for any cosmetic surgeon! So wishing you all the best for your future!

@Portugal25 it seems you are an expert for clinics reading from you that any other clinic would have kept their mouth shut and would have taken the money (as well as you mentioned in another post that Dr. Pekiners clinic is the best and only option in Turkey although then also mentioning Dr Keser in the next sentence...)! This knowlegde is really valuable for people like me who want to make an informed choice! I’m just wondering which clinics did you already visit and what did you learn about their practise and ethics that you can make such absolutistic statements? Thanks for a short explanation!

All the best!

Carjoca

• Like 1

@Carjoca this happened to a very close friend of mine last month and Dr. Pekiner also stopped his surgery because his grafts were minituarized.  
When I had my surgery I commented this with Dr. Pekiner who told me that if my friend had went to any of the many Turkish hairmills they would have said nothing and taken his money. 
I do believe this to be true but sorry I can’t name these clinics (I am here to read about the Doctors that are achieving great results and not to investigate the bad ones).

From the many threads I read with results from Turkish Doctors none had the high level technique or results achieved by Dr. Pekiner or Dr. Keser.
So for me, when I talk about Turkey I only recommend these two Doctors.
Ofcourse other people are free to reach their own conclusions and have a very different opinions (hence one of the reasons why we all talk in this forum). 

Edited by Portugal25

2 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Sorry to hear this as well Duchaine, but I really like your positive attitude!

On a side it's quite fascinating that this is the 3rd case I've heard of where Dr Pekiner has turned away a bad FUE candidate. It does make you wonder just how many of us really are not good candidates for surgery at all (and which clinics might still proceed with surgery despite this).

As tou can read, I wasn’t completely sure to get an ht. I like my hair and i was worried that a bed transplant could ruin my head.

Anyway, mother nature decided for me and that’s all folks!

at the moment, i dislike my bald hair but I’m trying to mantain a positive attitude: with my head shaven, i can start a new therapy and get a good tracking of my results.

i am quite sure that dermorolling on bald scalp will improve the overall quality of my hair.

i’ll start taking oral minoxidil once per day (using topical minoxidil at night) and duta two times per week.

according to doctor kaan, I’m a norwood 6/7 that is holding his gair thanks to a good therapy. I’ll continue with my therapy and will try to improve it.

• Like 1

@duchaine why don’t you do SMP?
It would increase the density and overall look of your hair. 

Dr. Kaan told me he will be going to Milan this month to receive training on SMP with Milena Lardi but I found that Terrance Jones at Skalptec Liverpool won World Best SMP Artist award in 2019 and is supposed to be even better. Also Paul Clark in Birmingham at the Brandwood Clinic is reputed as one of the best in the world. 

I am also considering SMP next year because I only managed to get 30cm2 density in my crown from Dr. Kaan surgery due to lack of donor area. 

Check out the pictures to get a ideia of what you can achieve with SMP.

FC815757-0292-4E98-9D51-1B6DAD76E0B7.jpeg

30DB0A6F-80B2-41D2-A09F-6CCD237A99E0.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Portugal25 said:

@duchaine why don’t you do SMP?
It would increase the density and overall look of your hair. 

Dr. Kaan told me he will be going to Milan this month to receive training on SMP with Milena Lardi but I found that Terrance Jones at Skalptec Liverpool won World Best SMP Artist award in 2019 and is supposed to be even better. Also Paul Clark in Birmingham at the Brandwood Clinic is reputed as one of the best in the world. 

I am also considering SMP next year because I only managed to get 30cm2 density in my crown from Dr. Kaan surgery due to lack of donor area. 

Check out the pictures to get a ideia of what you can achieve with SMP.

FC815757-0292-4E98-9D51-1B6DAD76E0B7.jpeg

30DB0A6F-80B2-41D2-A09F-6CCD237A99E0.jpeg

I’ve seen a lot of great results in pics. I would like to see someone in person..i think it can be a very good option!

3 hours ago, duchaine said:

As tou can read, I wasn’t completely sure to get an ht. I like my hair and i was worried that a bed transplant could ruin my head.

Anyway, mother nature decided for me and that’s all folks!

at the moment, i dislike my bald hair but I’m trying to mantain a positive attitude: with my head shaven, i can start a new therapy and get a good tracking of my results.

i am quite sure that dermorolling on bald scalp will improve the overall quality of my hair.

i’ll start taking oral minoxidil once per day (using topical minoxidil at night) and duta two times per week.

according to doctor kaan, I’m a norwood 6/7 that is holding his gair thanks to a good therapy. I’ll continue with my therapy and will try to improve it.

@duchaine I really admire the way you look at it and that you look forward trying to maintain a positive attitude! I wish you well with your therapy and hope you can improve your status in that way that you are satisfied! If your are interested in SMP maybe also check out the Prohairclinic in Belgium, saw some pretty amazing results in another forum from them: https://www.prohairclinic.com/en/scalp-micro-hair-pigmentation-smp

@Portugal25 thanks for your reply and agree that there are many „Turkish Hairmills“ out there that only want to make money and I have to admit that it looks for me also to be the majority of clinics in Turkey unfortunately thus forums like this one are really important to newbies to get direction and help... Have seen quite some repair cases from these kind of clinics and everybody saved from this experience is a tremendous win for this and other forums and of course for the person itself! A good and ethical clinic should have it as best practise to check status of follicles after having extracted some 200 and have a go/ no go decision and at least I know one more clinic in Turkey that acts on this ethical basis and does this check - maybe a coincidence or not that Dr. Pekiner basically learned the bread and butter of his profession in that clinic over several years... 

All the best

Carjoca

• Like 1

@Carjoca I guess your talking about HLC Ankara and you are right they are the best and most expensive clinic in Turkey (2.7€/graft).
The only reason why I don’t include them on my recommendations for Turkey is because they are a clinic so I don’t know the Doctor responsible for the results posted nor do I know who will do the surgery because they have several Doctors. 

Edited by Portugal25

Hey guys,

After one day closed in my hotel room in ankara, and after spending the last 24 hours thinking to what it is happened, I’ve a question.

did the doc need to extract 170 grafts to understand that my donor was not good to support the ht?

if my hair are in telogen effluvium, couldn’t he understand that simply using a tricoscope?

in fact, when he interrupted the operation, he used the tricoscope to show me that my donor was weak.

Now, if the tricoscope can show that, why did he shaved me and started with extractions?

i am very sad for my shaved hair and I’m very sad that i waster 170 grafts that now are into a garbage basket!

not to mention that my donor is burning and bloody as you cam see from the attached picture.

@LaserCap @Melvin-Moderator @Portugal25 @transplantedphil And all the doc that have time to answer

1 minute ago, transplantedphil said:

Im not aware of the specifics of your case, but a possible reason was provided in another thread; https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/55281-thank-you-kaan-pekiner-doctor/

"From the evaluation pictures, that dr. Pekiner checked accurately, the hair roots miniaturization was undetectable, it was noticeable only after extracting and checking the grafts. I know some doctors call this condition Hidden DUPA (or BUPA) when taking finasteride somehow disguise the severity of DUPA without stopping the miniaturization.

While bleeding is normal (they usually provide patients with pillow covers), that does seem like a lot for only 170 extractions, but it's too hard to say if you were sleeping on the pillow all night and your head was rubbing against it. I would contact the clinic and ask them what's going on, especially if you are experiencing a burning sensation (is the burning uncomfortable or merely irritating?)

Thanks! Merely irritating.

I specifically asked if i have dupa. He said not (luckily).

about my case, i think it is strange that he showed me miniaturization using the tricoscope (that means it was visible) but he started the extraction anyway.

at least, he could ask me “i think you have some miniaturized hair. To be sure, i need to extract some graft. Do you allow me or do you prefer stop everything?”

I asked the clinic for a specific diagnosis anyway, because i do not know what is the limiting factor in my case.

i invited the doc to subscribe here.

maybe he will answer and clarify what happened.

@transplantedphil not looking for a diagnosis here, i asked the rep for it lol

Considering that lorenzo is considered a top in dupa/BUPA treatment, I’ll ask for a consultation (my othere option is his pupil @BrunoFerreira7 ).

anyway, lorenzo suggests that bupa patient take fina for at least one year. I’ve been taking fina for 21 years, so I should be a good candidate!

i really do not know what to think, man!

maybe pekiner is looking the best for me...this is why i stopped. But you know, sometimes, “the best is enemy of the good”

Thats unlucky man... Im sorta worried now cause i'm going with dr pekiner next week and am hoping he wont reject me.. honestly i've put too much money and effort into making it happen only to be sent home that would suck

Did the doctor do a full consult and evaluation prior to the procedure?  Doctors experience is such that they can detect a number of issues just by observation.  If there are additional concerns, typically a biopsy is in order. Funny t he would scope an area, after the fact - during the procedure - to confirm candidacy.  Perhaps he had a senior moment and all of the sudden he realized the mishap.  

The fortunate thing, if you want to think about it that way, is the fact he only extracted a few grafts.  170 so grafts is just about 1/2 an eyebrow.

Are you on any type of medical therapy? If not, get to it. (Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP).  Do them for 1 year and reassess.  If you are truly a marginal candidate, this should help you get over that bump.

What's done is done and no sense in worrying about spilled milk.  And, if you do have the issues the doctor "found all of the sudden" thank him because he was looking out for your best interest.

Unfortunate that you flew from Italy and things did not work out for you, I think dr Pekiner is looking out for you but if you are still concerned maybe consult with other doctors since you are in Ankara, contact HLC and Keser.

@LaserCap I’m sure he did looking fot my best interest. I was ready to pay 7500 for my ht, while i just paid 500.

i am taking everything except duda. Fina, minoxidil, locoidon, nizoral, prp abd dermoroller!

@Abi28 I’ve been at hlc today. Talked with them and explained my problem. I’ve an appointment for tomorrow. A doc will chrck my donor. They said that maybe he’ll do an extraction for biopsy.

Edited by duchaine

3 hours ago, Guano said:

Thats unlucky man... Im sorta worried now cause i'm going with dr pekiner next week and am hoping he wont reject me.. honestly i've put too much money and effort into making it happen only to be sent home that would suck

At the moment, I’ve spent something like 2000 for nothing! The only thing i had is a shaved head and 170 fu removed! 😢😢😢😢

3 minutes ago, duchaine said:

At the moment, I’ve spent something like 2000 for nothing! The only thing i had is a shaved head and 170 fu removed! 😢😢😢😢

Yeah thats so annoying.. see how you go with HLC goodluck bro

• Like 1

@duchaine I would have done the same! 

My friend Goncalo had surgery with Dr. Pekiner on 18/12 and he had the same problem you had so he came back with just 272 grafts Implanted instead of 5000.

I just told him to also get a second opinion and advised him to talk with @Dr. Bruno Ferreira (Dr. Jose Lorenzo medical assistant).

Looking forward to hearing what HLC had to say.

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, duchaine said:

@Abi28 I’ve been at hlc today. Talked with them and explained my problem. I’ve an appointment for tomorrow. A doc will chrck my donor. They said that maybe he’ll do an extraction for biopsy.

You did the right thing, it's never a bad idea to consult with multiple doctors and get different opinions, from personal experience I think dr Pekiner is looking out for you but I also think that he is being too careful after one of his patient had a bad result as you know he posted on this forum and other forums and a video on youtube so I think the dr now doesnt wana take any risks that can hurt his reputation perhaps, could he have gone forward with the surgery maybe yes and the results would have been maybe below average so the patient is not happy and the dr is not happy and that doesnt benefit anyone, plus this happens often and is not something out of the ordinary, in person consultation might show problems with donor that cannot be seen in pictures..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

@duchaine I would have done the same! 

My friend Goncalo had surgery with Dr. Pekiner on 18/12 and he had the same problem you had so he came back with just 272 grafts Implanted instead of 5000.

I just told him to also get a second opinion and advised him to talk with Dr. Bruno Ferreira (Dr. Jose Lorenzo medical assistant).

Looking forward to hearing what HLC had to say.

Special bonus for you:
HLC in located into a wonderful area of Ankara: nice bars and clubs, luxury condos and stores.
Nothing to do with the other side of the town!
At least, today I enjoyed my holiday! :d

@duchaine great you took the opportunity to go to HLC and that they have the time to look into your situation! I‘m really curious what they will say and believe me based on my own experience that you are in good and trustworthy hands with Dr. Ozgur and his team! And you get a second opinion that can help you planning your way forward - keeping fingers crossed for you!

All the best

Carjoca

• Like 1

I really thrust them..

i went personally to the clinic, with my head shaved and some blood behind my head, asking for an immediate consultation.

i said that i can stay here another couple  of days if they think i can get an ht.

they contacted me in two hours giving me an appointment for tomorrow on morning!

i asked to dr pekiner for a written sentence on my donor situation. He said he’ll send me an email. 

Edited by duchaine