What do you guys think? FUE Hair Transplant HEX punch extraction + PRP

Lohvisa

I am 22 years old with my male pattern baldness setting in as early as 15. I had a HT 6 days ago when I was a Norwood 3. I did my frontal/receding hairline fully, with plans on doing the crown in a year or two since it's not so bad right now. I am pleased with the professionalism of the clinic and the doctor. I underwent an FUE hair transplant, they used HEX punch 0.8mm for extraction and then put the hair follicles in ATP and Hypothermosol for keeping them alive in-between extraction and implantation. The doctor prescribed me first week of antibiotics and prednizone as an anti-inflammatory glucocorticoid against the swelling in my forehead. I basically slept while sitting for the first 4 days to avoid the swelling and there was minimal swelling in the forehead. There is a bit of yellowish around the skin where the grafts were implanted due to bruising I suppose. I also got PRP done in the frontal area where the follicles were implanted, which was included in the price. I am not sure how many grafts they used since I never asked them, maybe you can tell me when you look at the photos? Let me know what you think about it overall. 

2.jpg.bc3ecaec20a036336d78e723a95cc799.jpg80967600_550219985833480_8737745985981120512_n.jpg.41527f3e4cd1344ae16ccd34fe7e5120.jpgThis is a Day 3 Post-OP and a break in-between harvesting implantation photo.

Edited by Lohvisa

• Administrators

Everything looks normal to me, don't get caught up in punches and surgical instruments- this means nothing to patients. What you should focus on are the results and skill of the surgeon. I haven't heard of the doctor before, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Happy growing😊

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Day 14 Post-OP, end of week 2. When can I start expecting the shedding (ugly duckling) phase to start? Haven't noticed any transplanted hair loss yet..

EDIT: Oh and the transplanted hairs seem to be growing just as fast as my regular hair.. is this normal??

14-1.jpg.0917d0f813b5409645ba3effa42642c6.jpg14-2.jpg.b6018d63afeca184eea191900bbe292b.jpg

Edited by Lohvisa

• Moderators
On 1/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Lohvisa said:

end of week 2. When can I start expecting the shedding (ugly duckling) phase to start?

Around the 2 to 3 week mark is when the shedding started on me, so it should start very soon.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Lohvisa said:

the transplanted hairs seem to be growing just as fast as my regular hair.. is this normal??

Yep.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 3 weeks later...

1 Month Post-OP. Most of the transplanted hairs have shed while a small amount remains to grow. I expect more to shed until end of week 5-6. I am on minoxidil & topical fin solution, ordered a dermaroller which ill start using soon, and a biotin-saw palmetto shampoo. After end of month 2, doctor suggests Nizoral shampoo 1-2x a week.

1m3.jpg.ba7fe23037f3126710f8724870675c1d.jpg1m2.jpg.4649366cd3c07df87f55cd0d22410ffc.jpg1m.jpg.f72e61c42839ea54430f6bd6d2372334.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

2 Months Post-OP. Not much of a difference from Month 1, still in the ugly-duckling phase. I may have just noticed yesterday a couple of new hairs sprouting in the front of hairline on the left side (5-6 new hairs), but I have been in Panic mode for literally the entire first month, worrying if I'll have any growth, probably everyone has these doubts I assume. I just hope some good growth comes along to surprise me by month 3. Btw I just realised that my procedure was a DHI, not a regular FUE, because the Doctor used Choi pens. (Didn't really notice because I was sleeping during the procedure. I've been cutting my hair to a grade 3mm every 14 days to avoid the bad aesthetics of the ugly duckling phase. WIll stop that now and let all the hairs grow since transplanted growth is supposed to start soon..

I use topical minoxidil and finasteride solution, as well as ketoconazole shampoo 2% (1-2x a week only), and a saw palmetto shampoo on a daily basis. Will start microneedling soon.

2-1.jpg.4a696156e789667ed59384c9e6428f1d.jpg2-2.jpg.6b15544772e691ffa7242a1336f31986.jpg

Edited by Lohvisa

• 3 weeks later...

I've got for you guys a photo of my crown and donor area just so u have an idea what it looks like. Didn't do anything on crown, just did frontal and temples. Crown seems to be thicker in the centre and much more miniaturized around the vertex. Thoughts on donor?

crwn.jpg.ebf30bb9e8a442479f464e17f5a18d48.jpg

3 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Wtf is a hex punch?

"The new device, which we use in this technique, is a special punch, called hex-punch. In this presentation the anatomy of hex-punch will be presented. The hexagonal shaft induces skin vibrations while entering the skin. The unique tip shape of this dull punch improves follicular extraction. The advantages of this technique in harvesting hair are profound: easy extraction, increased speed in collecting grafts, lower percentage of trans-sections, proper depth entry into the skin, ease of learning. Our results after using hex-punch are rate of trans-sections: 2-4% and speed of the extraction: 750-900 grafts per hour. By using hex-punch in the FUE technique we can improve results of hair transplantation."

3 Months Post-OP: There is some new growth happening, albeit, it is sparse and patchy. I believe growth is not supposed to be uniform, so I am hoping the spaces between the growth will fill in with new hairs. I am not sure if my growth is too slow since I had PRP just before the procedure, and there is a bit more growth on one side than on the other, especially at the hairline. The transplanted area was completely bald before hair transplant. Thoughts for 3 months post OP with PRP? Is it too slow? What do you think?? Help would be appreciated guys.

3-3.jpg.cf17fce3c7838add831ab11a7c33c190.jpg3-1.jpg.84951f6505bcf5cf68be5fab0f92444e.jpg3-2.jpg.993fe42d1b3817c35419935803afcf54.jpg

• Moderators

Looks like you are right on target. 3 months is usually when it just starts and you will get some new hair popping up for the next several months. It takes months for it all to start growing.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Looks like you are right on target. 3 months is usually when it just starts and you will get some new hair popping up for the next several months. It takes months for it all to start growing.

I heard it was supposed to be a bit faster since I had PRP? Or that doesn't matter too much?

• 1 month later...

Month 4 Update: I am seeing new hair sprout as I checked my scalp today, but it's only maybe 5-6 new hairs I noticed today and that's all. The only place where I see all the hair grew is in the middle part while the sides/temples the rest of it is pretty sparse and patchy. Would you guys call this a botched hair transplant, or is it too early to say at 4 months? Let me know  what you think..4-3.jpg.93152048122b7ed361338f8a251148df.jpg4-4.jpg.ecb513312a20f27bf6ca4272b0b0eef2.jpg4-1.jpg.305cb558b1a5ec0bfa30bcb234a7eea4.jpg4-5.jpg.5010faed65ad3c3eb5d679b01d030743.jpg