Dr. Kaan Pekiner FUE+BHT 3895 (2007 FUE + 1888 BHT) 28/12/2019

Portugal25

Hello Everyone,

Background:

In 2008 when I was 25 years old, I had my first hair transplant with Dr. Rahal in which I had 3425 grafts implated to rebuid the front hairline by FUT but since then I haven`t taken any finasteride (due to side effects) so I lost all the hair in my midscalp and crown.

I knew my donor area was limited to around 2000 grafts so I realized that in order to achieve a decent level of density I would have to compensate with beard grafts.

Research:

I started looking for an affordable Doctor that was performing the entire surgery himself and achieving great results with high amounts of beard grafts, so that ruled out Dr. Rahal.

After months of research I found out that there was only one Doctor in the world that matched my requirements and was charging less than 2,5€ per beard graft, Dr. Kaan Pekiner. 

Dr. Kaan does all manual FUE with stick & place technique which is more time consuming than motorized FUE but he says it allows him to have a better feel while extracting and better control of the angle of each graft while implanting. 

So, I spoke with his patient advisor, Alex by whatsapp and booked my 3 day surgery from the 26 to the 28th of December (yes they work on weekends).

New Luxury Clinic Opened 23/12/2019

Now how lucky was I to have found out that just last week Dr. Kaan Pekiner moved his practice to a brand new luxury clinic and I would be one of the first patients to have a surgery here.

I recorded a walkthrough video to show you guys the new clinic and had Alex (Patient Advisor) upload it so my name doesn`t show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhAnFb5XfNY

Because Dr. Kaan Pekiner only does surgery on 1 patient per day I had a private clinic just for myself that also included my own cook to provide meals during the day 😊

Hotel

Atakosk Hotel is a 5 Star Hotel just across the street from the clinic. The Clinic has a special price of 45€/night with Breakfast and the room service dinner cost me between 6€ to 9€, super cheap!

The roundtrip airport transfer are organized by the clinic and included in the price of the surgery so I brought 0 Turkish Liras with me.

On checkout I paid the Hotel and all the room service meals with my Revolut card so I wouldn’t pay any credit card taxes. 

Surgery:
My first day started at 08.30h with a photoshoot followed by mapping out the implating area and then a discussion about the surgery with Dr. Kaan.

Dr. Kaan calculated I had a area of 140cm2 of mildscalp and crown to fill in but he would only manage to extract around 2000 grafts from the head and was unsure about the number of beard grafts he would be able to extract (maybe 1000-1500) so he gave me a tuff choice:

1.       Achieve a nice density of around 30-40cm2 by implanting only to the mildscalp and upper crown leaving my lower crown empty for the rest of my life.

2.       Implanting the whole 140cm2 open area and risking getting less than 20cm2 density if the beard donor fails to provide a high number of grafts.

I went with option 2 and I am so happy I did so 😊

Here is my surgery timetable

·       08.30h Graft Extraction

·       10.30h 15m Break

·       10.45h Graft Implatation

·       12.45h 1 hour Lunch

·       13.45h Graft Extraction

·       15.30h 15m Break

·       15.45h Graft Implatation

·       17.45h: End of Day

As predicted by Dr. Kaan he did only managed to extract 2000 head grafts because he only wanted to use thick graft and I could actually feel him searching my head for the best grafts to extract. “thin grafts would make no point in the crown” he said. I could also feel him arranging the angle of each graft in my crown while he was rebuilding my crown vertex, that attention to detail was like nothing I have ever seen and I thanked him repeatedly for it!

On day 2 Dr. Kaan also took a sample of 109 grafts from my beard at the end of the day to test my beard donor area and he realized that my beard was actually much better than he expected.

On the 3rd day the whole team spent 10 hours around my beard to extract a whopping 1888 beard grafts thus provinding me with almost 30cm2 density all around. I couldn`t believe it when Dr. Kaan told me the graft count, we were both so happy that I was getting a better than expected density (even though it’s not a lot and I am hoping I will be happy with the results). Also, I had 80 grafts (singles and doubles) implanted into to my right temple because after shaving it was easy to see I had a small gap in the front.

Post-Op
Today I met with Dr. Kaan to remove my bandages (yes he came to see me in person on a Sunday morning, amazing!). It`s also really great he speaks fluent English because if he didn`t it would have been a deal breaker for me.

So my surgery finished yesterday and so far I have had absolutely no swelling whatsoever. Dr. Kaan used a 0.9mm punch for my scalp donor area and a 0.6mm punch for my beard donor area.

A shout out to Dr. Kaan`s amazing team: Fatmanur, Irem, Volkan and Saide, they were by my side the whole day assisting Dr. Kaan and making sure everything went smoothly.

Conclusion

After having had FUT with Dr. Rahal in 2008 and now FUE + BHT with Dr. Kaan Pekiner, in my humble opinion Dr. Kaan is truly one of the best in the world as I found no other Doctor at his price point offering his total devotion to just one patient per day in order to reach the best possible outcome using both the donor area from the scalp and beard.

Please check my pictures and let me know what you think.

Request to the forum Administration: 

Dear Hair Restoration Network Administrators @Melvin-Moderator you guys would be doing a huge service to other patients like myself by including Dr. Kaan in your current list of just 2 reccomend Turkish Doctors (neither of which matched any of my requirements). I promise that if you come meet Dr. Kaan to see this new clinic, staff and technique you will confirm that he has truly raised the bar on the “Gold Standard Hair Transplant”.

Thank you

IMG_9889.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

IMG_9895.JPG

IMG_9896.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9900.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

IMG_9902.JPG

Day 1.jpg

Day 2.jpg

Day 3.jpg

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9906.JPG

IMG_9907.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9910.JPG

IMG_9911.JPG

IMG_9912.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9915.JPG

Graft Count.jpg

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

It's true, for me too you should recommend Doctor Pekiner on this community, I don't know him personally, but I have seen many of his interventions on other forums and I have not seen a poor one, it works a lot on Italian patients and it is a benefit that we have done  you also know in other places because in my opinion he is one of the best surgeons in the world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Egy said:

It's true, for me too you should recommend Doctor Pekiner on this community, I don't know him personally, but I have seen many of his interventions on other forums and I have not seen a poor one, it works a lot on Italian patients and it is a benefit that we have done  you also know in other places because in my opinion he is one of the best surgeons in the world.

I had 2 hair transplants done by Pekiner, and my result is bad. Do you really think he is the best?))

21 minutes ago, dredd77 said:
11 hours ago, Egy said:

I had 2 hair transplants done by Pekiner, and my result is bad. Do you really think he is the best?))

Yes, @dredd77 I read your story, and believe me I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I also read about the disgruntled patients of Hasson & Wong (who are icons of hair transplantation) but the percentage of  success cases far exceeds that of bad quality cases, as for Pekiner, even if in some European forums the reports on disgruntled patients are hidden and you are one of them, so in the end you managed to raise your dissatisfaction with  a forum like HRN and if there were others we believe we would see them as we saw yours, so for me Pekiner remains a great surgeon

Dr. Rahal did my first HT in 2008 and he also had one or two bad result at the time but for the past 12 years none of Rahal`s patient`s with bad results came to my Rahal`s results thread striking fear and turning my results thread on to themselves...

Edited by Portugal25

Nobody has posted photos of others on your  thread, friend don't worry, we are discussing your procedure and personally praising the work that the doctor did on you, here you are not on European forums where is censored or even banned if you don't think as adminitrators or moderators.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 2

So I’m 2 days post-op and I`m actually surprised that after having had 1888 grafts removed from my beard it managed to recover so quickly.

My head donor and recipient area still have a long way to go but it`s also looking a bit better. 

Kinda worried because I go back to work on the 8th of January...

IMG-1069.jpg

IMG-1068.jpg

IMG-1064.jpg

IMG-1091.jpg

IMG-1088.jpg

IMG-1075.jpg

IMG-1086.jpg

Edited by Portugal25

Watterot, actually I did have 80 grafts implated into my front right temple because I had a small gap (you can notice them in my after pictures taken at the clinic).

Dr. Kaan had to use the least amount of grafts possible to the front because I had 140cm2 to cover and my head donor area was limited to just 2000 grafts.

It was my beard that saved the day :)

Edited by Portugal25

Day 5 and I finally shaved my beard donor area. Still looks a bit red but one would never guess I had 1888 grafts extracted from here last Saturday. 

8978A333-6ACF-4C65-A901-DC98BA0F2F26.jpeg

05DFD2FC-2DA1-42F2-AE24-6E662D72E91F.jpeg

072A52F3-9C40-4C83-B8C5-4856AE6CF865.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

Good morning everyone,

I’m 12 days post-op and yesterday returned to work.
Everyone was commenting on my new look (still have many scabs on the midscalp) so I openly spoke about my hair transplant with my colleagues and they praised me for having the courage to travel alone to Turkey to get this done. 

Below are pictures with hair wet and dry. Would really appreciate your comments.

Thank you. 

7451BBAA-617F-477E-8C08-E59376D77592.jpeg

427D6499-B010-4762-9B92-ADF26A10C4BA.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

@Gasthoerer Dr. Kaan did advise me to go for another FUT with Dr. Rahal and after 1 year come to him for FUE+BHT but I knew I had a limited donor area and would need to compensate with beard grafts to achieve a decent density so I chose to get this done in only 1 surgery with a Doctor that had experience doing beard mega sessions. 

Maybe if I had chosen to first go to Dr. Rahal I would now have a depleted donor after having done a FUT surgery of just 2000 graft that provided 15cm2 density to the crown and midscalp (not something I would have been happy with). 

Hope I made the right choice.

Edited by Portugal25

16 Days Post-Op and my FUT scar perfectly made by Dr. Rahal is almost un-noticeable and the scabs are finally gone! 
A bit redish on my lower scalp from scratching. 

E37AF9DA-4827-45E1-A1E1-481364EFD194.jpeg

80868309-75F6-4A39-9D24-DD9CD9D8BBE3.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

The angulation of recipient grafts and cleanliness of the work is top notch.  Thanks for updating as im especially interested in seeing this.  There’s a lot of folks bashing Turkey for pricing vs quality and i get there may be some clinics in question.

BUT to have a doctor focus on you, work with you solely, cater to you, manually extract, do limited extractions to help maximize yield, and not break the bank, is very envious.  Truly can’t wait to see this result and how is Dr Kaan Pekiner’s patient follow up care?  Are they following up with you?  Are they about complete patient satisfaction- do they do touch up later (that’s IF patient needs it)?  

Do you have more grafts remaining for future?  
did he manually extract beard grafts as well?

good luck and best wishes, hope this turns out great for you

• Thanks 2

@Sean thank you for your comments. 
Dr. Kaan patient assistant has been contacting me every week asking for updates.
I had a limited scalp donor area and Dr. Kaan used it all in this surgery. I think I might still have beard grafts for a touch up.
The beard grafts were also extracted manually and implanted with stick&place he said my beard is very easy to extract. 
Dr. Kaan does all manual FUE and I am hoping this turns out amazing even though the amount of grafts implanted will achieve only 28cm2 density due to my limited scalp donor area.

Edited by Portugal25

@Jijypuru I see that @Gasthoerer already answered your question. 
Dr. Keser does not take patients that need more than 2000 grafts in one transplant because he does a maximum 600 grafts per day with his own customized punch. Also he does not extract grafts from the beard to increase density which was mandatory for me in order to achieve a decent density so naturally I chose Dr. Pekiner instead. 

Edited by Portugal25

Thank you @AlexEfim and yes, if I hadn’t done my 2 HT I would be a NW7. 

Edited by Portugal25

@Jijypuru I needed to implant a lot of beard grafts to compensate for a lack of scalp donor area. 
I chose Dr. Pekiner because he has experience doing sessions with 1900 beard grafts in one day and does surgery on just 1 patient per day.

Dr. Bruno has also been doing BHT for several years and only does surgery on 1 patient per day but he is not doing beard mega sessions which was why I chose Dr. Pekiner (also because Dr. Pekiner was 20% cheaper). 

Dr.Ximena is doing surgery on 2 patients per day so I ruled her out of my shortlist when I was doing my research but she has some pretty great results on the Spanish forum and was Dr. Lorenzo medical assistant for over a decade.

I speak warmly about Dr. Bruno and Dr. Ximena because I find them very affordable for the results they achieve and know-how both of them obtained from working with Dr. Lorenzo at his Madrid clinic.

Edited by Portugal25

Bro I hope it will turn out great! very interesting to see this progressing.

I have a question which might sound stupid, but how exactly is it possible to use beard hair for the head? I mean, there are different in nature - my beard grow slower than head hair, and also has different characteristics (I think?) I never understood how those beard hairs are mixed along with head hair in a natural way.

@karatekid the only two reasons that will prevent someone from having beard grafts implanted on the scalp is if the beard has a different color than the hair or if the beard has a tendency to curl. Otherwise the studies show that beard grafts can be the perfect alternative for patients with limited scalp donor supply.  Because beard hair is thicker it’s recommend for patients that wish to add density to the crown or to hide FUT scars. It’s not recommend to implant beard hairs in the hairline because this area is usually comprised of thin single grafts and not thick beard grafts. 

Check these two FUE+BHT results from HLC (where Pekiner worked for 7 years):

https://www.fue-hlc.com/hair-transplant-before-after/fue-3000-grafts-2000-grafts-for-the-front-1000-grafts-for-the-crown-area/

https://www.fue-hlc.com/hair-transplant-before-after/3500-grafts-2000-grafts-from-donor-scalp-1500-grafts-from-beard/

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1