What makes the difference between average and exceptional results?

Hi guys. I just wonder, I see all those amazing results, posted by top surgeons, and I think, what are the causes for it?

To be clear, Im not talking about results from different doctors. Im talking about results from given specific doctor, and lets assume one of the elite.  Of course they show in their videos their best cases, but here in forums you can see also cases posted by patients, which are also good but not always as amazing. So I wonder, does it come down to just luck?

Yes of course there are factors. What are the factors for that? I guess it is the donor density, the graft survival, the design, type of hair, and some more maybe.  But the design should always be the same quality (unless the doctor has some bad days?). The graft survival - what does it depend on? purely on the individual reaction to this procedure?  and about donor density and type of hair - I have seen cases with both of them were kind of similar and still the results vary significant.

I dont want to sound too conspiratorial, but maybe the surgeon put more effort and thought on specific cases? maybe those he knows he can publish? I dont know, just a thought. I hope it is not like that of course.    

I was just wondering, tell me what your thoughts.  Of course at the bottom line the question is "What are the chances for me to end up with those outstanding result?" assuming I go for top tier surgeon.

Edited by karatekid

1 hour ago, transplantedphil said:

I think youve covered the basics

- hair type; fine hair creates a less dense look whereas coarse hair covers more, grey hair provides less of a contrast so appears fuller, black hair on white skin more of a contrast so is less so)

- extraction method; FUT seems to produce a greater yield, FUE on curly hair is apparently harder to extract)

- design; depends if the surgeon does the same hair design for everyone like Diep or Rahal, or caters it differently according to the individual

- graft survival; first 3 days are critical for the survival of grafts. I remember looking at a study by Cooley saying that the majority of cases with poor growth mostly came down to surgical issues (extraction method, graft storage, implantation method). So putting aside these things, any other wild variations in results presumably come down to patient physiology

I think your chances of ending up with an outstanding result really comes down to choosing an outstanding doctor who will properly assess you and take all possible precautions. I guess that's why consistency and experience are such important factors when choosing a doc.

ok, interesting. You say FUT produce greater yield? I mean, I heard it on the past, but I thought that by now both methods are pretty much the same, except of the scar of course.  So would you recommend FUT if I said I somehow care less about the scar (hoping it is small as possible)? for me the hairline and front part has to be the best, I cant take any risks in that.

1 hour ago, Egy said:

I also think it depends so much on the patient's starting situation, a norwood 6/7 will never get an excellent result, even with the best surgeons in the world.  It is my opinion.

Ye of course this is the obvious part. Im talking about cases where same amount of graft need to cover same area size

Edited by karatekid

On 12/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, karatekid said:
On 12/28/2019 at 11:04 AM, Egy said:

Ye of course this is the obvious part. Im talking about cases where same amount of graft need to cover same area size

@karatekidah well, then for me the FUT compared to the FUE has a higher percentage of success and above all of holding over time.  Follicular units extracted with FUT undergo less stress than FUE, they also remain more time in their habitat and therefore have more chance of taking root and life.  This is always and only my opinion, but by studying several forums for a few years I have been able to understand this.

Edited by Egy

• Administrators

There are no guarantees with surgery, I think every top surgeon will try their best. Unfortunately, sometimes despite their best efforts the results don’t turn out as expected. 

Most of the things that separate a good result from an exceptional result depend on hair characteristics. For example head shape, size, donor density, hair thickness, hair shape i.e curl, waviness or straight. A patient who has optimal characteristics will have exceptional results, while a patient with some characteristic flaws will get a good result. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Also you have to remember imo the patients that get insane results are patients that arnt even BALDING. They just have a mature hairline and stay at norwood 2\3. Theirs a huge difference. Like their temples are gone and hairline pushed up alil bit but their hair is thick af where they do have hair still. That's much different than having your frontal 3rd thinned out all over(middle tuff and mid scalp) and also losing that widow's peak and temple points

The hair thickness and skin tone contrast is major contributing factor too. If you have pale skin and black hair you look worse in the process of thinning balding and being bald imo

Edited by BlessUp

During my research for my own HT I looked at Extraction of grafts, graft time out of body and storage, Implantation of grafts.  When I understood how important the above factors were to help achieving a great result when put in expert hands I decided to go with the DHT technique to reduce the out of body time grafts are subjected to and trauma given to them.

..........Paddy......

On 12/28/2019 at 3:44 AM, Egy said:

@karatekidah well, then for me the FUT compared to the FUE has a higher percentage of success and above all of holding over time.  Follicular units extracted with FUT undergo less stress than FUE, they also remain more time in their habitat and therefore have more chance of taking root and life.  This is always and only my opinion, but by studying several forums for a few years I have been able to understand this.

Ok so you are saying this too...  I was sure till now Im going for FUE and had hard time choosing a doctor, but now it gotten even harder with more variable to the equation.  is it really consensus that FUT usually yield better results? in that case I would expect to see many more patients choose FUT over FUE, since the scar can be minimized or even get transplanted on later, while good hair and hairline is priceless.

@Melvin-Moderator Yes I understand there are no guarantees, just wondered what are the causes to the differences. So according to you, this is mainly depend on the patient? you dont think that the doctor, in some cases just "gets it done right" and in others, has less luck? Since it's a surgery with an artistic aspect, like an artist that write a song .  Im asking so I know what to expect and which doctor to choose, since I have seen some great results with patients with characteristic similar to mine from some doctors.

@BlessUp I dont think its true at all,  I see tons of video where the patient is balding badly, and he gets insane head of hair afterwards, like this:

just look in youtube for couto or lots of others known surgeons.

@paddyirishman What is the DHT technique? and you know which known doctors use it?

9 hours ago, karatekid said:

Ok so you are saying this too...  I was sure till now Im going for FUE and had hard time choosing a doctor, but now it gotten even harder with more variable to the equation.  is it really consensus that FUT usually yield better results? in that case I would expect to see many more patients choose FUT over FUE, since the scar can be minimized or even get transplanted on later, while good hair and hairline is priceless.

@karatekid I said it's my opinion, like the fact that the scar is still a taboo and many people are still a little afraid of getting their heads "opened" even if this operation done by top surgeons should not be a problem, then consider also  the cost that for the FUT (precisely performed by a top surgeon) costs over € 10,000.

Edited by Egy

@karatekid  DHT  is Direct Hair Transplantation .  Grafts are out of the body for minimum amount of time, and in most cases Extracted and implanted simultaneously.  Dr.Pradeep Sethi and Dr. Arika Bansal invented their own technigue @Eugenix Hair Science

I got my HT with @Eugenix Hair Science in India.  

..........P.addy ........

Couto def gets some insane result and its almost to good to be true to be honest. I'll wait til he has some patient reviews here and not rely what he shows the world. He has total control of displaying his homeruns.

I went to diep and he is another youtube sensation like couto but with alot more good personally patients results here. I didnt get his YouTube like himerun results. I wish I did tho so obv theirs no guarantee. 

if couto  list wasn't so long I personally would try him out for ht#2

Edited by BlessUp