Shedding Phase

Hi,

After a transplant there is a shedding phase usually between day 15- day 45 in which all transplanted hairs are supposed to shed. What is the science behind this? Why can't they stay put?

Also how to make sure that the hairs are shedding and the roots are still intact? How many weeks after a transplant can we take a sauna bath?

Thanks

When hair follicles are removed from their initial blood supply and then transplanted into a new zone, the hair follicles typically go into a resting phase and shed...they rest for roughly 3-4 months and subsequently begin a new growth phase.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, gillenator said:

When hair follicles are removed from their initial blood supply and then transplanted into a new zone, the hair follicles typically go into a resting phase and shed...they rest for roughly 3-4 months and subsequently begin a new growth phase.

Thank you Sir. Can you please answer the second part? How to make sure that the hairs are shedding and the roots are still intact? How many weeks after a transplant can we take a sauna bath? Sauna/Steam will open pores so can it damage the roots of the hair which have shed in the shedding phase?

The roots of your grafts will become embedded into your scalp and will be fully anchored after about 4 days after a HT

If your hair sheds the roots will stay embedded and go dormant for 2 or 3 months and start to grow again.

If your pores open it wont have any negetive impact, when we shower our pores are open. You cant do any dameage at all.

.........Paddy.....

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

The roots of your grafts will become embedded into your scalp and will be fully anchored after about 4 days after a HT

If your hair sheds the roots will stay embedded and go dormant for 2 or 3 months and start to grow again.

If your pores open it wont have any negetive impact, when we shower our pores are open. You cant do any dameage at all.

.........Paddy.....

Thank you so much. My hair usually come out like the attached photo. I was worried whether it has roots or not. They come out in high numbers when I am sleeping, thanks to me taking sides and when I wear a loose cap/bandana.

Last question after a transplant for how long do we have to keep our transplanted area away from the sun?

Photo.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:40 AM, tesla007 said:

Thank you Sir. Can you please answer the second part? How to make sure that the hairs are shedding and the roots are still intact? How many weeks after a transplant can we take a sauna bath? Sauna/Steam will open pores so can it damage the roots of the hair which have shed in the shedding phase?

telsa,

Please read what Paddy posted as he provided a good answer to your second question.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hello @tesla007

After 6 weeks its likely your shedding is over. Will you shed more ? I don't think so,  however nobody knows.

I would recommend putting Aloe Vera gel on your recipent to greatly reduce the redness and help with your healing also.

You can use it on your doner as well , at this stage your doner should be well healed anyway ???

All the best

Paddy.

• Thanks 1

One thing to keep in mind is that at 6 weeks, you're right smack dab in the middle of what's considered the ugly duckling phase. It's completely normal (and often expected) for things to look worse before they look better. The Aloe Vera may help with the redness, which was the trickiest part of my healing. (My scalp is sensitive and stayed red for longer than I wanted.) 

The good news is you're about halfway through the ugly duckling phase, so things should start shaping up rather soon - and if you're an early grower, you'll start seeing some results around months 3-4. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 1/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, paddyirishman said:

Hello @tesla007

After 6 weeks its likely your shedding is over. Will you shed more ? I don't think so,  however nobody knows.

I would recommend putting Aloe Vera gel on your recipent to greatly reduce the redness and help with your healing also.

You can use it on your doner as well , at this stage your doner should be well healed anyway ???

All the best

Paddy.

I was using coconut oil and sometimes olive oil as suggested by the doctor's team. Will switch to aloe vera gel. Can I use the gel on the whole head or just on the recipient and donor area?

Donor area is kinda healed but there are many areas where the skin is protruding out and it sometimes pain a little if I touch them. Plus the donor area still feels empty, maybe because the hairs at the back haven't grown much, idk. One more thing there is lots of itchiness in the donor area many a times.

Edited by tesla007

On 1/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, pkipling said:

One thing to keep in mind is that at 6 weeks, you're right smack dab in the middle of what's considered the ugly duckling phase. It's completely normal (and often expected) for things to look worse before they look better. The Aloe Vera may help with the redness, which was the trickiest part of my healing. (My scalp is sensitive and stayed red for longer than I wanted.) 

The good news is you're about halfway through the ugly duckling phase, so things should start shaping up rather soon - and if you're an early grower, you'll start seeing some results around months 3-4. 

Will switch to aloe vera gel. Can I apply it on the whole head or just on the front and back? For how much time did the redness stayed in your case?

You are so right, it looks so so bad. I mean first the skin is red and then the hairs are scattered. Moreover the remaining hairs, which have not shed, are very thin and I don't think that they will grow much. How will these even out? Can I cut them with scissors to make them look less ugly? Thought of shaving them but it seems like a bad idea.

Edited by tesla007

On 1/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, nordicwarrior said:

Where did you get your transplant? i’m intrigued because you posted a lot pre-op about various clinics 

Sorry I missed your reply earlier. I got it done from a local surgeon, will post detailed a journal with photos soon.

I visited every doctor recommended here. I will also post the reason why I went with the local one in that thread.

5 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

Keep using the Aloe Vera gel on your doner and recipent, and on your face, anywhere you want. It has great healing properties,  and is really good to help with an itchy scalp.Its a great moisturiser also.

Thanks. Just ordered one. The label says that it can be used for the whole head. Should I use it on the rest of the area besides donor and the recipient?

Edited by tesla007

Aloe Vera gel will cool the scalp, help to reduce the redness and even help with inflammation.

The rest of the grafts will eventually shed once they go into their respective resting phase, and the timetable can vary.

• Like 1

Gillenator

17 hours ago, tesla007 said:

Can I cut them with scissors to make them look less ugly? Thought of shaving them but it seems like a bad idea.

At this stage, you can definitely cut the hairs in the donor area if you don't like the way they look while things are still growing. I did this actually, and kept my hair buzzed/super short for the first 3 months following my procedure so that everything would grow in evenly. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

6 hours ago, pkipling said:

At this stage, you can definitely cut the hairs in the donor area if you don't like the way they look while things are still growing. I did this actually, and kept my hair buzzed/super short for the first 3 months following my procedure so that everything would grow in evenly. 

I was taking about the hair in the recipient area, the photos of which I have posted above. Can I cut them? After how many weeks/months did the redness in the recipient area of yours fade away?

6 hours ago, tesla007 said:

I was taking about the hair in the recipient area, the photos of which I have posted above. Can I cut them? After how many weeks/months did the redness in the recipient area of yours fade away?

Oh yes, my mistake. I meant recipient area. The grafts are lodged within the first 10 days, so you won't damage them by cutting/trimming them. The main concern would be not to irritate the skin, which you won't do. Mine lasted about 2 months or so, I would say - but it truly does vary from person to person. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, pkipling said:

Oh yes, my mistake. I meant recipient area. The grafts are lodged within the first 10 days, so you won't damage them by cutting/trimming them. The main concern would be not to irritate the skin, which you won't do. Mine lasted about 2 months or so, I would say - but it truly does vary from person to person. 

Been 2+ months. The skin is still red and the ugly duckly phase continues :(

3-4 months is typical from my observations.

• Like 1

Gillenator