FUT results - 8 weeks in - thoughts guys?

gippy

Hi guys,

I had a FUT operation back in mid October. 3105 grafts.

It’s been over 8 weeks now. Here are my photos – 2 days post op, 4 weeks in, and 8 weeks. I've lost a fair amount of the grafts it seems. A few hairs stayed and grew it looks like, most didn't. 

I was so scared about doing any damage that i did not touch the grafts at all with my fingertips for weeks - so lots of scabs formed and stayed. In the end the clinic told me to rub my scalp properly using coconut oil and the large layers of scabs quickly fell away, along with grafts and hair. 

EDIT: TO  BE CLEAR, I DID WASH MY HAIR.................I JUST DID NOT RUB IT WITH FINGERTIPS FOR FIRST FEW WEEKS. I HOPE THAT IS CLEAR NOW (!). 

I don't want to reveal the doctor yet as it would be unfair, since i'm only 8 weeks in. I understand I won't see the full effect for 3 months at the very least, probably longer.  

My main concern is around density. I did ask for a more feminine hairline for personal reasons, but I was very clear that I did Not want to sacrifice density for coverage, so if there were not enough grafts to get all the coverage I wanted, I would rather bias towards density.

In the end he was able to give me everything i wanted (well....if it works out that is!)

Ive been taking 1mg finasteride for almost 2 years now, and since the op I’ve been using minoxidil spray once daily.

What do you guys think, 8 weeks in? Both in terms of the immediate post-op result and how it looks now?

Does all seem normal? 

All opinions welcome. Be as frank as possible, ...might as well, the money has been spent 😬  

8 week collage.jpg

Edited by gippy

Little odd that you didn't wash your hair (which would have removed most of the scabs before the 4 week mark). You will lose the "hair" as part of the process. What the HT does is it moves the "root" of the hair, so the hair loss you're seeing is superficial. 

Otherwise, it looks on-track. This is the worst phase in terms of appearance, so it will definitely get worse before it gets better, so just keep that in mind. 

Keep an open dialog between yourself and the clinic. Follow their instructions for post-op care and ask any questions you have. The clinic wants you to succeed for several reasons, and following their guidance is in your best interests.

Keep up the fin, minox and coconut oil treatment you're doing.

Keep a good attitude and let the recovery take place!

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

I can understand and empathize.  Here is the problem,

Most are quite gingerly when it comes to hygiene after a transplant.  I understand you just spent X amount of money but, more than that, it has to do with not wanting to damage anything. I get it.  The issue, however is that bacteria is prevalent in the area.  Not washing after 7 days can actually lead to infections and other issues.  PLEASE..get in the shower, let everything soak and scrub away - if there are any crusts left. You will not hurt anything.  By this point the grafts are integrated into the blood supply.

Honestly to start worrying about density at this stage is utterly ridiculous.  Consider it takes 3 to four months to start seeing any type of growth. And the growth, mind you, will be so "weak" it is doubtful you'll notice anything.  At 6 months you'll see a change and at 12 months you'll noticed a matured result.  In some cases, even, it can take up to 18 months to see a "final" result.

Post in 12 months and then we can discuss density based on results.

2 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Little odd that you didn't wash your hair (which would have removed most of the scabs before the 4 week mark). You will lose the "hair" as part of the process. What the HT does is it moves the "root" of the hair, so the hair loss you're seeing is superficial. 

I never said i didn't wash the hair. 🤔   though yes i wasn't totally clear - 

i just didn't rub it with my finger tips like i was advised to because i was being overly cautious. I did my first hair wash after 5 days and was just patting it with shampoo with my hand and rinsing clean with a jug for about 3 weeks. 

I sent the clinic pics after 4 weeks and then they advised me i should have been rubbing with the oil to remove the scabs.... so then i started. 

Yes its not a nice phase at the moment, i'm just kind of sitting around waiting and hoping it all pans out 12 months from now Fingers crossed! 🤞

1 minute ago, LaserCap said:

Most are quite gingerly when it comes to hygiene after a transplant.  I understand you just spent X amount of money but, more than that, it has to do with not wanting to damage anything. I get it.  The issue, however is that bacteria is prevalent in the area.  Not washing after 7 days can actually lead to infections and other issues.  PLEASE..get in the shower, let everything soak and scrub away - if there are any crusts left. You will not hurt anything.  By this point the grafts are integrated into the blood supply.

Honestly to start worrying about density at this stage is utterly ridiculous.  Consider it takes 3 to four months to start seeing any type of growth. And the growth, mind you, will be so "weak" it is doubtful you'll notice anything.  At 6 months you'll see a change and at 12 months you'll noticed a matured result.  In some cases, even, it can take up to 18 months to see a "final" result.

Please read my post properly. I did not say i didn't wash my hair. 

I have explained in a response to someone else who thought i'd said that also. 

3 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

I'm not Worrying about density.  I simply said it was a concern, and i also clearly recognise that the result can take months, as I mention later in my post. 

Jesus what is wrong with people here, can you guys not read? Whats with the hostility?

I'm going to use another forum instead and track my results on there. Laters. 

2 minutes ago, gippy said:

Please read my post properly. I did not say i didn't wash my hair. 

I have explained in a response to someone else who thought i'd said that also. 

I understood.  The point is, at this time you should not see any type of change.  And it is too early to discuss density.

Its the way you wrote the post.  I am sure others will misunderstand.

• 3 months later...

How’s it looking now ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, Tbcruz said:

How’s it looking now ?

6 months in.  I'm happy with the actual hairline, i won't judge the final result until i get to 12 months. 

There's more density on 1 side than the other, clinic tells me that it could just be more grafts fell on one side so to wait and see. 

EDIT: - yes i'm gippy - forgot i'd already had a profile back in december,  i'd joined so many hairsites over the years....

hair 6 month.jpg

Edited by sloppos

• Administrators

Definitely looks good, even with wet hair. Density should even out by 12 months, please keep us updated.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looks good man. I’m sure in the coming months the density issues will resolve.

are you happy enough to say who the doctor is yet? 

• 9 months later...

alright folks, well here we are. 15 months later, this is how it looks. 

obviously i'm ecstatic, i have my confidence back and its changed my life entirely. The £9500 i spent was worth every single penny, and then some. 

however, it is worth noting that the reduced density on one side remains - it's not obvious in the photos, but when my hair is greasy after 3-4 days and the hairs clump together, there is less hair on one side than the other (can see more of the scalp). It's unnoticeable to most people, but i know it's like that. So, the thing i picked up on after 6 months or so, as described in my previous posts, remained. 

i had a skype catch-up with my doctor who understood and said he'd be more than happy to do 2-300 more grafts for free to even it out and get it more like the other side, which is absolutely perfect (fantastic density, almost unable to see much scalp, when compared to the right side) 

when covid is somewhat over and it is safe to travel around europe again i'll go back and probably have the 2nd procedure next year, not in any rush for it obviously. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:39 AM, MachoVato said:

Just curious, who drew the hairline? It's hard to see, but it looks like the new hairline removed the temples. Am I seeing it corectly?

this is incorrect, the temples were not removed, i wanted the hairline drawn from the temples and round to make it more "feminine". Basically the entire area has been filled out and joined up with the lowered hairline at the front. 

hair jan 2021.jpg

Edited by sloppos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sloppos said:

obviously i'm ecstatic, i have my confidence back and its changed my life entirely. The £9500 i spent was worth every single penny, and then some. 

however, it is worth noting that the reduced density on one side remains - it's not obvious in the photos, but when my hair is greasy after 3-4 days and the hairs clump together, there is less hair on one side than the other (can see more of the scalp). It's unnoticeable to most people, but i know it's like that. So, the thing i picked up on after 6 months or so, as described in my previous posts, remained. 

i had a skype catch-up with my doctor who understood and said he'd be more than happy to do 2-300 more grafts for free to even it out and get it more like the other side, which is absolutely perfect (fantastic density, almost unable to see much scalp, when compared to the right side) 

when covid is somewhat over and it is safe to travel around europe again i'll go back and probably have the 2nd procedure next year, not in any rush for it obviously. 

this is incorrect, the temples were not removed, i wanted the hairline drawn from the temples and round to make it more "feminine". Basically the entire area has been filled out and joined up with the lowered hairline at the front. 

hair jan 2021.jpg

Looks good, a huge improvement.

who was the Dr?

11 hours ago, sloppos said:

hair jan 2021.jpg

Wow ! Incredible jump from 6 months to 15 congrats 👏 🙌 looks awesome !!

Whoa! Absolutely incredible! And you pull off the long hair really well. Thanks for coming back to give us the home run update! 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56