Hairline proposal from my consult

fuzz916

I am 36 and only use Rogaine.  My hair loss started in my early 20’s.  Progressed fairly slowly.  The Doc drew in a proposed hairline and thought about 1800 grafts should be enough. He was mainly going to focus on the front only. He was looking to get about 35-45 cm2.  I am balding at the crown as well and could use some decent amount of grafts there.  He recommended doing PRP injections during surgery or a few weeks later.  Can’t quite remember that part.  He also mentioned the use of exosomes down the road for the hairs that are becoming weak/thin.  What are your thoughts about the hairline design and the amount of grafts.

ADFB2041-D249-4044-8955-83261C5E7E0B.jpeg

BF1865AF-C431-45B3-9BC7-24D50425F19B.jpeg

3B47E691-5186-403E-AB5F-560CA9378543.jpeg

A8904802-C59D-40DD-A13B-4382749B0BD7.jpeg

Thanks for the input.  His name is Dr. Joshua Crose.  He is right outside of Sacramento, Ca. About 10 minutes from my house.  He will be sprinkling in hairs to help blend the 2 areas. He seems fairly knowledgeable, but he has only been doing hair transplants for about a year.  I was also looking for more grafts based on what I hear most people get here.  

• Administrators

I’ve never heard of this doctor, it’s not a bad thing, but sounds like your letting the convenience be the deciding factor. 

Have you seen any real patient posted results? Not one that’s on their website? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Convenience is definitely nice.  I’ve seen cases on his iPad that are still 6-8 months post op.  Look good overall.  Nothing mind blowing.  2 of my friends have gotten it done by him and they look acceptable.  Ultimately I’m looking for density/natural.  

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, fuzz916 said:

Convenience is definitely nice.  I’ve seen cases on his iPad that are still 6-8 months post op.  Look good overall.  Nothing mind blowing.  2 of my friends have gotten it done by him and they look acceptable.  Ultimately I’m looking for density/natural.  

Doesn't sound like you're very thrilled. Consult with a few more surgeons. Take a look at Konior, Gabel, Diep, Hasson and Wong, Mohebi, Rahal, just to name a few. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

transplantedphil is absolutely right.  Consider it takes a full year to truly see results.  So, if you are new to the industry, you'll want to wait a good year and start making adjustments.  This will continue in the ensuing years until you get natural results.  Every doctor has to go through this.

As far as your hairline goes, I actually like the design.  Nothing wrong with staying conservative.  The farther back you go, the farther back the doctor can go. Keep in mind, as well, hair grows forward so, by definition, your hairline will be lower than what the doctor designed.  I also note he blunted the corners which is good.  Just make sure you discuss staggering with him. A hairline is not a straight line design.

I do question the number of grafts.  You are thinning your entire front and part of the mid scalp. Seems as if he is only going to work the hairline and perhaps 1" behind it?  The issue is - you've lost..and will continue losing.  Best to do more and have the doctor blend grafts towards the mid scalp so there is connection.  And, more importantly, get on some medical regimen to help you retain the native hair. 

Can you share family history?  I venture to say you have some advanced patterns in there somewhere.

Do some research before making the final decision.  View photos of results.  Once you find one that you like and that is similar to your own case, then consider.  Nothing against the doctor you visited with, but he does not have enough experience.  At least ask him who he trained with.  Did he do a fellowship?  Find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LaserCap said:

transplantedphil is absolutely right.  Consider it takes a full year to truly see results.  So, if you are new to the industry, you'll want to wait a good year and start making adjustments.  This will continue in the ensuing years until you get natural results.  Every doctor has to go through this.

I do question the number of grafts.  You are thinning your entire front and part of the mid scalp. Seems as if he is only going to work the hairline and perhaps 1" behind it?  The issue is - you've lost..and will continue losing.  Best to do more and have the doctor blend grafts towards the mid scalp so there is connection.  And, more importantly, get on some medical regimen to help you retain the native hair. 

When doc works among native hair, he can damage the exiting follicles.
IMHO it is better he rebuilds his hairline. If he will lose more hair in the future, he will get another procedure.

The hair line design I think in terms of height is wise and will make a nice difference, maybe make a tad more symmetrical.

Be good to see donor photos though, because as said here you are thinning throughout the top of the scalp and will need more surgery so need to see the donor also, both full sides and rear profile.  If the donor is good then gives you more room for future surgery and something you need to keep in mind.

I would be also hesitant in terms of graft numbers as the hair quality of the transplanted is better than the miniaturised hair behind and also you do really need to make sure you don't then lose and have an unattached hair line. So, I would agree with the above statement of treating more and giving a solid result and also consider Propecia depending on how your loss has stabilised.

This doctor may be great but a year is very early to tell because it does take that for a result to finalise.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Moderators

Since he has only been doing this for about a year I would want to know the following:

- Are hair transplants his main business or is it just a part time add on of what he was already doing such as other plastic surgeries or even just a general practice. I would be hesitant if this is the case.

- Is he using an Artas machine he bought with little to no real training or experience? I don't mean training from the Artas company. I would be extremely hesitant if this is the case.

- Did he train and maybe work with/for other hair transplant Drs prior to him starting hair transplants on his own a year ago? This could be a positive as he may have some good working knowledge and experience in hair transplants.

You said two of your friends have gotten it done. Are they fully grown in yet? If not I would wait until they are and see what you (and they) think of it. You should really try to ask them how they feel about it.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Since he has only been doing this for about a year I would want to know the following:

- Are hair transplants his main business or is it just a part time add on of what he was already doing such as other plastic surgeries or even just a general practice. I would be hesitant if this is the case.

- Is he using an Artas machine he bought with little to no real training or experience? I don't mean training from the Artas company. I would be extremely hesitant if this is the case.

- Did he train and maybe work with/for other hair transplant Drs prior to him starting hair transplants on his own a year ago? This could be a positive as he may have some good working knowledge and experience in hair transplants.

You said two of your friends have gotten it done. Are they fully grown in yet? If not I would wait until they are and see what you (and they) think of it. You should really try to ask them how they feel about it.

This is exactly right^ 

View my thread

• Administrators

Donor looks good, you appear to have thick and coarse hair too, which is a big plus. Do some research, I think you should be able to get a great result with a good surgeon.

View my thread

Your nape hair is raising up and crown can go down, so need to establish the safe area to take from and keep in mind any donor limitations. Be good to see longer but at this length can see the density drop from nape area then going up, so as said have to know aside from your density and hairs to follicular unit groups, also the areas that are safe to harvest from. Best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Great questions from Melvin and "BeHappy" in this post.  Wait a while before considering another procedure.  Considering the cost of surgery, spending another $350 for a plane ticket is nominal if you decide to go with another surgeon.  Your donor area looks strong so I'm sure you can move more grafts.  Best of luck and keep us posted down the road a bit.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Reading through this thread and very happy to see you're getting lots of good advice. I suggest you take it all in and really take your time before rushing into anything - particularly utilizing those questions BeHappy gave you to ask. I'm not saying the doctor you're considering is not a good choice - but you need more information before being confident in the decision. 

You seem to be a great candidate, so do your due diligence in terms of research and I'm sure you'll end up with a great result!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56