Oral l Minoxidil

1.75 years for me.  Started w/5mg for 6 months then went to 10mgs and now staying on 20mgs {10mg 2X's daily} for a few years going forward.  I take it w/brand-name Avodart (Dutasteride) - been on Dut since 2002.

I noticed increased hair growth outside of my scalp as well.  Forehead near temples and eyebrows.

I took my blood pressure & a diuretic the 1st 3 months with my 5mg oral minox 1X daily to monitor any potential side effects.

The only thing I didn't do is take oral minox w/n 2.5 hours of bedtime - as it can lower your blood pressure potentially.  I take a small sedative at night to sleep - which lowers my blood pressure just a bit.  So, didn't want additive effect.

They prescribe it for high BP at 40-200mgs - so titrating up over time and anything at 1/2 or less of the lower 40mgs is most likely going to be completely fine and your body adjusts to meds over time extremetly efficiently.

I'll stay on it.  It's cheap.  I buy from alldaychemist.  NO scrip.  Several overseas hair-restoration surgeons prescribe this to their patients - now even a few U.S. surgeons. 

There is no comparison to liquid minox - so much easier and more effective.  I primarily take it to keep my existing donor and 8.5K of transplanted grafts as healthy as possible. 

Started Rogaine in the late 90's - had worked my way up to compounded 30% minox cream as of early 2018.  I've never heard of oral minox low dose having any side effects anecdotally on hair-loss forums.

Edited by jjsrader
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ukpaitent said:

Thanks very helpful info. Do you take it with food ? 

Most medications should be taken w/food - so I just go with the oral minox & my Dut w/breakfast.  My 2nd oral minox I pop w/dinner.  Easy to remember.

4 hours ago, jjsrader said:

Most medications should be taken w/food - so I just go with the oral minox & my Dut w/breakfast.  My 2nd oral minox I pop w/dinner.  Easy to remember.

do you still take the diuretic with minoxidil. i just start from 1.25 to now 2.5mg. also if you take you do take diuretics, how often, what brand and dosage? I was just wondering if I would get the weight gain associated with it? much appreciated!

I took the diuretic (Aldactone/Spironolactone 200mg) for several months just as overkill - I didn't want to have to deal w/potential water retention.

With 2.5mg I don't think you'll have any issues w/weight gain.  As I wrote - I used a blood pressure cuff ($20) 2X's daily to check my blood pressure for many months.  Probably for most guys 5-10mg 1X daily is just fine and works more effectively than any topical minox - regardless of the concentration.

After 20+ years and using ultimately 30% minox cream - I got sick of putting that shit on my head 1-2X's per day.  I found a better way.  I would just continue to eat a balanced diet/exercise & get good rest.  Chances of long-term water retention are low.

I've been a yo-yo weight loss/gain individual my entire adult life.  I have noticed nothing different on or off the diuretics whilst using oral minox.

Get my oral minox from thailandpharmacy.net and bought my Spiro from alldaychemist - best prices for me on both.

Edited by jjsrader

@jjsrader Any particular reason you quadrupled the mg? I this something you did yourself or was this recommended? 

Anywere in the states I can get this? NY based. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:32 AM, jjsrader said:

1.75 years for me.  Started w/5mg for 6 months then went to 10mgs and now staying on 20mgs {10mg 2X's daily} for a few years going forward.  I take it w/brand-name Avodart (Dutasteride) - been on Dut since 2002.

I noticed increased hair growth outside of my scalp as well.  Forehead near temples and eyebrows.

I took my blood pressure & a diuretic the 1st 3 months with my 5mg oral minox 1X daily to monitor any potential side effects.

The only thing I didn't do is take oral minox w/n 2.5 hours of bedtime - as it can lower your blood pressure potentially.  I take a small sedative at night to sleep - which lowers my blood pressure just a bit.  So, didn't want additive effect.

They prescribe it for high BP at 40-200mgs - so titrating up over time and anything at 1/2 or less of the lower 40mgs is most likely going to be completely fine and your body adjusts to meds over time extremetly efficiently.

I'll stay on it.  It's cheap.  I buy from alldaychemist.  NO scrip.  Several overseas hair-restoration surgeons prescribe this to their patients - now even a few U.S. surgeons. 

There is no comparison to liquid minox - so much easier and more effective.  I primarily take it to keep my existing donor and 8.5K of transplanted grafts as healthy as possible. 

Started Rogaine in the late 90's - had worked my way up to compounded 30% minox cream as of early 2018.  I've never heard of oral minox low dose having any side effects anecdotally on hair-loss forums.

Hey man,

Why such a high dose? And What's your opinion on its effect on hair?

I'm on 5mg, should I be considering upping my dose?

(I don't take finasteride anymore after horrible side effects)

It has really helped my crown area (alot).  Over time one can increase a dose of medication the body gets used to.  For example, people start with a 1/4 of a pill of Finasteride a day - skipping the 5th day.  After some time they take it everyday.  Then quite a few work their way up to Dutasteride 0.5mg 1X daily.

@20mgs (10mg 2X's daily) is the high end of low-dose oral minox.  They start w/40mg's daily for high blood pressure.  The 1/2 life on oral minox is 4.2 hours - so at 8.4 hours it is absorbed.

Started w/5mg's - then after like 6 months went to 10mg's daily.  Now at 18+ months I'm at a dose that in my opinion is optimal (from what I've read).

If you can handle the schedule - oral minox is best at 2X's per day (just like liquid).  So you could use 2.5mg's 2X's daily for many months and then maybe up it to 5mg 2X's per day and stay there.

I've read alot of studies on oral minox and side effects at much higher dosages than 20mg a day.  By splitting up the dose to 2X's per day I'm taking smaller doses more frequently (@breakfast and @dinner w/food).

It's just my thing.  My routine.  People can stay on low-dose 2.5mg's 2X's daily or 5mg or 10mg 1X daily .  I think it is much more effective 2X's daily at a higher baseline dose.

You can get cheap oral minox in 5mg & 10mg pills at alldaychemist & thailandpharmacy & inhousepharmacy - no scrip'

I was up to 30% minox cream 2X's per day for several years (compounded by a pharmacy).  There is no comparison between topical penetration/efficacy VS systemic delivery.

My only advice would be buy a blood pressure cuff and check your BP 2 hours after taking oral minox vs baseline for as long as you want.  If you have no heart issues & the BP is good - you're okay. 

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jjsrader said:

It has really helped my crown area (alot).  Over time one can increase a dose of medication the body gets used to.  For example, people start with a 1/4 of a pill of Finasteride a day - skipping the 5th day.  After some time they take it everyday.  Then quite a few work their way up to Dutasteride 0.5mg 1X daily.

@20mgs (10mg 2X's daily) is the high end of low-dose oral minox.  They start w/40mg's daily for high blood pressure.  The 1/2 life on oral minox is 4.2 hours - so at 8.4 hours it is absorbed.

Started w/5mg's - then after like 6 months went to 10mg's daily.  Now at 18+ months I'm at a dose that in my opinion is optimal (from what I've read).

If you can handle the schedule - oral minox is best at 2X's per day (just like liquid).  So you could use 2.5mg's 2X's daily for many months and then maybe up it to 5mg 2X's per day and stay there.

I've read alot of studies on oral minox and side effects at much higher dosages than 20mg a day.  By splitting up the dose to 2X's per day I'm taking smaller doses more frequently (@breakfast and @dinner w/food).

It's just my thing.  My routine.  People can stay on low-dose 2.5mg's 2X's daily or 5mg or 10mg 1X daily .  I think it is much more effective 2X's daily at a higher baseline dose.

You can get cheap oral minox in 5mg & 10mg pills at alldaychemist & thailandpharmacy & inhousepharmacy - no scrip'

I was up to 30% minox cream 2X's per day for several years (compounded by a pharmacy).  There is no comparison between topical penetration/efficacy VS systemic delivery.

My only advice would be buy a blood pressure cuff and check your BP 2 hours after taking oral minox vs baseline for as long as you want.  If you have no heart issues & the BP is good - you're okay. 

Interesting. thank you.

Are there big differences in result from 5mg one a day vs. 5mg twice a day (i.e 10mg a day)?

Is it worth it? Did you notice a significant difference?

Are there studies on that significantly helping and bringing even more hair back?

I'm happy to go up if that's the case

It's a drug.  The higher dose you take & more often - the more effective.  To a degree of course.  If you are committed to medical therapy - you have many years of this.  Proceed slowly I would say.

peace...

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

@jjsradar Man, how do you cope with the hypertrichosis. Have been on 5mg 1xdaily for 4 months, and I've had tiny vellus hairs pop up below my hairline. The hair on my arms are significantly darker and longer. I also need to shave my moustache and beard every 3 days now instead of 5 days before (am Asian). 

That said, I'm very satisfied with how it's made my miniaturized hairs stronger and thicker. Oral min and finasteride seem to work together well. I was contemplating upping my dose to 5mg twice daily, but am mainly concerned with whether an increased dose would mean increased hypertrichosis. Would appreciate if you could share some of your experiences with upping your dose from 5mg.

I'm a very white guy w/very little body hair or arm or leg hair.  As I've gotten older all the hair on my lower arms & all of my legs has decreased by probably 40% at least (or got lighter/more fine).  I do have a hereditary minor skin condition that looks like freckles but are actually light red discoloration dots on my lower arms and on my legs that killed off alot of original hair.

I've noticed just a little bit more hair around my eyebrows & fuller eyebrows and some vellus hairs around my temples.  I'm 52 so having fuller eyebrows (somewhat) makes me appear younger - even though about 25% of them are grey now.  I've noticed fuller temple point growth as well - even though I had 400 grafts (200 on each side) added to these areas in March '17  via FUT + FUE surgery megassesion.

So, compared to normal guys I am about 80% less hairy as a baseline.  For me then, upping my dose over time hasn't been an issue whatsoever.  My beard seems about the same or maybe just somewhat more robust (marginally) - but I have average beard hair - haven't noticed it growing faster.  But I only shave down to stubble 1X per week anyways.  I don't have to shave for my regular day to day - so I can't really guess if it grows in back faster.

Everybody's different - genetics dictate one's results.  If you are responding well w/5mg 1X per day in only 4 months - w/just a few minor inconveniences - it's a win/win in my book.  I personally don't think increasing your dose over time will make you twice as hairy (5mgs X's 2 daily) w/your already established side effects.

Just means you are a good responder and would probably do better at a higher dose over time.  I've noticed no difference other than what I described going from 5mg once a day to 10mg 2X's per day over the last 19 months or so.

I plan on staying on oral minox.  In 19 months my crown has gone from slightly thin (keep in mind I've had 8.5K grafts - I'd be a NW V without hair restoration & a NW VI without medical therapy) to basically no cosmetic appearing thinning.  My midscalp vertex has thickened every so slightly.

I have added a 420+ diode laser hair helmet regimen that I use religiously 4 days on/1 day off/3 days on/1 day off for 22 minutes a session in the last 21 months - this has made my existing transplanted & native hair more robust & is an 'additive' treatment modality in my opinion. 

I can wear my hair long again and it appears healthier (less breakage) & my donor hair seems of better quality as well (much better). 

So, I've stayed on Avodart (Dutasteride) since 2002 & since full maturation of my last hair transplant (by 05/18)  - the only thing I changed was going from 30% custom-compounded minoxidil cream I applied 2X's per day to oral minox (05/18) & added the hair helmet (03/18).

I can see the difference - it is not a monster difference - but there is improvement over time.  That's about all I could ask for.

Edited by jjsrader

5 hours ago, jjsrader said:

I'm a very white guy w/very little body hair or arm or leg hair.  As I've gotten older all the hair on my lower arms & all of my legs has decreased by probably 40% at least (or got lighter/more fine).  I do have a hereditary minor skin condition that looks like freckles but are actually light red discoloration dots on my lower arms and on my legs that killed off alot of original hair.

I've noticed just a little bit more hair around my eyebrows & fuller eyebrows and some vellus hairs around my temples.  I'm 52 so having fuller eyebrows (somewhat) makes me appear younger - even though about 25% of them are grey now.  I've noticed fuller temple point growth as well - even though I had 400 grafts (200 on each side) added to these areas in March '17  via FUT + FUE surgery megassesion.

So, compared to normal guys I am about 80% less hairy as a baseline.  For me then, upping my dose over time hasn't been an issue whatsoever.  My beard seems about the same or maybe just somewhat more robust (marginally) - but I have average beard hair - haven't noticed it growing faster.  But I only shave down to stubble 1X per week anyways.  I don't have to shave for my regular day to day - so I can't really guess if it grows in back faster.

Everybody's different - genetics dictate one's results.  If you are responding well w/5mg 1X per day in only 4 months - w/just a few minor inconveniences - it's a win/win in my book.  I personally don't think increasing your dose over time will make you twice as hairy (5mgs X's 2 daily) w/your already established side effects.

Just means you are a good responder and would probably do better at a higher dose over time.  I've noticed no difference other than what I described going from 5mg once a day to 10mg 2X's per day over the last 19 months or so.

I plan on staying on oral minox.  In 19 months my crown has gone from slightly thin (keep in mind I've had 8.5K grafts - I'd be a NW V without hair restoration & a NW VI without medical therapy) to basically no cosmetic appearing thinning.  My midscalp vertex has thickened every so slightly.

I have added a 420+ diode laser hair helmet regimen that I use religiously 4 days on/1 day off/3 days on/1 day off for 22 minutes a session in the last 21 months - this has made my existing transplanted & native hair more robust & is an 'additive' treatment modality in my opinion. 

I can wear my hair long again and it appears healthier (less breakage) & my donor hair seems of better quality as well (much better). 

So, I've stayed on Avodart (Dutasteride) since 2002 & since full maturation of my last hair transplant (by 05/18)  - the only thing I changed was going from 30% custom-compounded minoxidil cream I applied 2X's per day to oral minox (05/18) & added the hair helmet (03/18).

I can see the difference - it is not a monster difference - but there is improvement over time.  That's about all I could ask for.

Thanks for the informative reply, JJ. 

Going from 5mg to 20mg without any noticeable increase in sides sounds pretty insane. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying that once side effects have been established, an increased dosage is unlikely to compound them (taking 10mg will not make you hairier than 5mg does). 

I was always of the opinion (and fearful) that increased dosage would simply worsen any side effects you were currently experiencing.

Congratulations on your new look too. How long did oral min work for you before its results started to peak? Also, which laser cap are you using? I was thinking of getting one myself, but am not wholly convinced of their effectiveness

Edited by Leftwithrope
Double quote

Hola,

The thing is you could go to 5mg 2X's a day - see where you are at in another 4 months.  If you have higher side effects (more hair growth and faster hairgrowth other than the hair on the top of your head) - you could always go back to your baseline of 5mg 1X per day or 2.5mg 2X's per day (5mg split in half).

For me I didn't see alot w/oral minox for at least 14-15 months - my hair grows very very slowly.    I use overmachogrande for laser hair helmet.  Even if you don't get any new regrowth w/laser therapy you do get a longer hair-growth cycle & better quality hair overall (like w/oral minox).

Used alone a hair helmet probably is marginal - along w/oral minox & a dht blocker (Propecia or Dutasteride) & a good Keto shampoo - your hitting the hair from all angles w/ease of use in my humble opinion.

Especially if you have a family history of extensive baldness.  Every single male on all sides of my family progressed to NW VI - some quite young. 

A hair helmet certainly can't hurt but you need at least 350+ diodes imho to cover all of your scalp -especially the frontal sides and the lower crown area.  I have mine right next to my computer workstation on its own stand and its just a part of my 5X's+ per week routine of 22 minutes. 

There's quite a bit of anecdotal and limited clinical results.  I believe it works best on diffuse thinning hair (especially for women) - but like I wrote it is believed to possibly 'de-age' the hair - making what you still have stronger/thicker/more vibrant w/a much longer hairgrowth cycle.  This would account for its slight thickening and filling in of a middle 'part' line that some visual studies show.

Much like minoxidil it probably works best on dying hairs that still have some life left in them - making them a bit more robust each hair growth cycle.  Again, to an extent.  Nothing grows back 100% of lost or dying hairs. 

Each time I upped my oral minox I monitored my blood pressure 2 hours after each dose for at least a month just to make sure I wasn't having any issues w/a dropping blood pressure.