Hair transplant with no propecia question...

Question....has anyone here done something similar around same time in life and not taken propecia? I plan on doing hairmax laser and rogaine perhaps. My concern is that my Norwood 4 eventually turns into a 7 and then I have permanent temples with nothing in between and I just continue to chase this goose.

anyone have experience with this? If I have a Norwood 4 at 35 does this mean that I’ve established my pattern or could this sucker turn into a Norwood totally bald except for a part of my temples and a perfect circle in my crown which would look horrendous?????

Edited by maxgraft

It's difficult to predict future hair loss, you can look at your family history and consult with your doctor but still it's difficult to predict. You might lose hair in the future or you might stay a Norwood 4, a lot of people that do hair transplants don't take medication, it's a risk but worst case scenario you get a 2nd procedure down the road. You don't really need propecia for a hair transplant to work, propecia only works to stop future hair loss, the hair taken from the donor is immunue to DHT so it's not depended on propecia, anyways minoxidil can be enough, if you are going to lose more hair in the future it will be gradual you are not going to end up a norwood 7 in a few months. In the future if you feel like you are losing hair rapidly you can start medication, consult with the doctor that did your hair transplant, they will be able to assist you and monitor your hair and plan for any future hair loss. Good luck.

Be careful with Propecia. I experienced a serious loss of emotion and sexual potency when taking it. Those side effects lasted for three weeks even after I stopped taking it. I've read that some people are experiencing the same symptoms even years after having stopped taking the drug.

• Like 1

I looked at it and got it but never took it and I probably won’t. I do have hairmax laser band and rogaine. My biggest concern is my hair continues to drop out and then I only have patches where the hair came in. I can’t buzz cause of my fut scar. Not sure what the option becomes....more hair transplants or hair removal where I put in the new grafts and then SMP the fut scar and then buzz or shave it...I guess....

is it true that if you start early your hair loss will stop early? I’m hoping at 35 mine has stabilized....

Any of you guys take DHT a locker natural medicines like saw palmetto? I’ve read this can also have similar side effects to finasteride?? I don’t want to take medicine for cosmetic purposes but natural remedies I would consider. Thoughts??

23 hours ago, maxgraft said:

I am 35 yo and have a Norwood 4. I recently filled in a part of my temples and my crown with 3000 grafts. I estimate around 65sqcm with around 5500 hairs. 

has anyone here done something similar around same time in life and not taken propecia? I plan on doing hairmax laser and rogaine perhaps. My concern is that my Norwood 4 eventually turns into a 7 and then I have permanent temples with nothing in between and I just continue to chase this goose.

anyone have experience with this? If I have a Norwood 4 at 35 does this mean that I’ve established my pattern or could this sucker turn into a Norwood totally bald except for a part of my temples and a perfect circle in my crown which would look horrendous?????

STOP!!!!

Do you have family history of hair loss?  What classification do you think they are?

Who did you have your work with? Did you have a consultation prior to the procedure? What did they say and what did they recommend?  Did the doctor you get on some kind of medical therapy to help you retain the native hair?

In today's world many people would rather not take Propecia.  Fortunately there are modalities out there external to you, (Rogaine, Laser).  You could even opt for PRP. (I did read you have a hairmax.  USE IT.  And do Rogaine at least once a day.  Do it at night so you don't have to bother with it during the day.

Why do you think you are going to be a 7?  Again, check family history.  But let's consider....Say you decide to do nothing and you do end up a 7.  When a doctor does work, he does not work in spots.  He will work uniformly through a pattern until he runs out of grafts.  Thus, if you do end up all the native hair, you'll end up with a diffused look and never be completely empty.  The issue with this, however. is the fact that class 7s do not lose hair this way.  A 7 will typically keep a bit on the forelock and some hair right behind it.  That's it.  So my suggestion, if you're not going to do any medication, is to have the doctor place grafts in such a way that you'll end up with an age appropriate and pattern appropriate work.

Oh, but wait.  You had grafts already...and some in the crown? Without doing meds? Who the hell did your work?

GET ON MEDS!!!! If your crown expands, which it will...You'lll end up chasing the pattern.  You'll waste so many grafts I doubt you'll have anything else for down the road if needed.

I also lean towards skepticism here.. If you're only 35 years old and already losing much hair then chances are you will lose way more with time, and might have to do several surgeries in order for things to look okay - if it will ever look okay. Norwood 4 is pretty advanced hair loss for your age. Might be different if you were 55 but you're only 35..

• Moderators
On 12/11/2019 at 11:40 PM, maxgraft said:

If I have a Norwood 4 at 35 does this mean that I’ve established my pattern or could this sucker turn into a Norwood totally bald except for a part of my temples and a perfect circle in my crown which would look horrendous?????

I know someone who had a nearly full head of hair until age 40 and is now a NW 6 in his mid 50s, but I think that is partially because he is on various medications now which I think is causing some hair loss in him. Anyway, if you don't want to take propecia then don't for now, but keep an eye on your hair situation. If it looks like it's getting worse then that's when you can decide to give propecia/finisteride a try. You most likely will never be a NW 7, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but even if that happens it would probably be much later and with body hair grafts able to be used now, it's not as much of a concern as it used to be. As long as you stay conservative with the hairline placement and density you should be OK.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Most of my noticeable loss occurred between 2000 - 2010 (22 to 32yrs old), but as far as I can tell has stalled since 2012.  I would have been about a NW5.

There are no guarantees though.  Why not try taking 0.5mg a couple of times a week?  Say Monday and Friday.  If that works add in a Wednesday...then up dose to 1mg MWF.  That would be enough to hopefully slow things down.

Currently I'm doing 1.25mg Proscar every 3 days without much side effect problem.  I take it last thing at night and any minor sides have worn off by the time I wake up (slight brain fogginess).

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day