FUT scar if I decide to go buzzed in the future?

Due to my weak donor area, I've been recommended to due FUT to maximize the grafts. 

However, in the future if I decide to go buzzed/bald (if not satisfied with my hair) would this be a bad decision? There would be a possibility that not only would I take a loss on the financial cost of the HT, but I would also make my buzz look even worse with the scar.

SMP should help make the scar blend in. As your skin color changes you can touch up with SMP. Another option is you can do a few FUE like 100 to help cover the scar as well. Since it’s not many FUE I don’t think it would leave many circle scars 

• Like 1

If you end up with a 'good' fut scar (and this is dependant on both the surgeon's skill and your own physiology), then you will be able to cut your hair quite short without it being detected. But I've yet to see a strip scar that can be completely hidden by smp/grafts or a combination of both when buzzed.

It's worth having a browse of the smp section to see some examples of what can be achieved. 

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• Administrators

If you're thinking about buzzing your head do not get any type of hair transplant. Buzz your head now and see if you like it, if you do. Well, then you found your solution.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What Melvin said. A hair transplant is a serious type of surgery, and some people end up regretting it. You already mention that your donor area is weak - how old are you? If you lose more hair and are still young then a HT might not be the best option for you. Also, there are some natural ways to retain one's hair. One method I've read about is to exercise your muscles in the back of the head - which will increase blood flow to the back of the head; which in turn will help retain your hair. This exercise you can't do with an FUT though, as it will widen the scar.

Depends on you.

Some people will hate themselves with it, I personally met 3 patients with clear FUT scar at street/bank etc and in all cases I didn't feel that the scar looked that bad. Approached one of them and looked confident and honest about it. If you embrace it then I don't think it is a problem at all. If you are gonna worry about it then don't do HT

Edited by harry_potter1

If you know that you will be wearing a buzzed style anytime in your lifetime, then don't have a FUHT procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm not too sure why, but people on this forum seem to be really against scarring. 

I've seen bald/buzzed men with FUT scars, surgery scars, and just general scarring on their head. When I do, I think, hey, that's a scar, then never even think about it again.

I'd wager most people are like this, and I am yet to come across anyone in person that actually cares about scarring. 

Having a thin, linear scar at the back of your head isn't going to turn you into a monster.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, bonkling said:

I'm not too sure why, but people on this forum seem to be really against scarring. 

I've seen bald/buzzed men with FUT scars, surgery scars, and just general scarring on their head. When I do, I think, hey, that's a scar, then never even think about it again.

I'd wager most people are like this, and I am yet to come across anyone in person that actually cares about scarring. 

Having a thin, linear scar at the back of your head isn't going to turn you into a monster.

What you are OK with on someone else is much different than what you are OK with on yourself. People are like this with everything. Think back when you were in school. If a friend had a big pimple on his face he would be afraid to let the girl he had a crush on see him for a few days until it clears up. You think he's being silly and tell him nobody really notices it. Then next week you get a big pimple on your face and you act just like your friend did the week before. Suddenly it matters much more when it's you.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

There are a few highly skilled surgeons for whom the FUT scar cannot even be seen. @Dr Blake Bloxham has amazing results with FUT. I would be extremely selective in picking the right surgeon. It's also patient dependent in terms of how you heal, how much laxity you have, do you smoke, etc. Here is an example:

There are also meds you can take to promote prevent scar formation:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/two_drug_combination_accelerates_wound_healing_and_reduces_scar_tissue

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

9 hours ago, BeHappy said:

What you are OK with on someone else is much different than what you are OK with on yourself. People are like this with everything. Think back when you were in school. If a friend had a big pimple on his face he would be afraid to let the girl he had a crush on see him for a few days until it clears up. You think he's being silly and tell him nobody really notices it. Then next week you get a big pimple on your face and you act just like your friend did the week before. Suddenly it matters much more when it's you.

Words so true!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

How you scar is a function of wound healing and has little to do with the doctor.  OK, let me rephrase.  There are a number of techniques available to a doctor when it comes to closing.  He can do stitches under and above.  This helps keep tension down.  He can also do a trichophytic closure.  While this has little to do with wideness of a scar, it can help hair grow though so as to minimize the "look" of a scar.  Almost like a camouflage technique.  

So, at the time of the evaluation, the doctor will check your elasticity among other things.  He will then decide what technique to use that will benefit you the most.  Or, he will do what he is used to doing daily.  Talk to him before the fact.  

Two things come to mind when I read your post.  One, how do you know your donor area is weak?  In what regard?

2nd, why consider buzzing your head?  The idea of doing transplants is to have more....not less.  Perhaps you should consider SMP.  

Do you have any childhood scars? Most of us do. They tend to dissipate. So what if "they" can see it?  Tell them you went to war.  You'll be a hero.  (Don't tell then which war)!

13 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This is a very good point, BeHappy. I'll readily admit I obsess over things that people don't seem to notice.

9 hours ago, Toubey said:

No, but it would be nice to avoid it, wouldn't it?

Of course. But we must remember, a hair transplant is never guaranteed. 

None of us know for certain how our loss will progress. Sure, a patient could wait until they are late 30's and then have a good idea of how extreme it is, but then they may miss out on their late 20's-30's with something that makes them self conscious. 

I don't feel like any patient can rule out a complete shave with a HT, as who knows what it will end up like down the road.

I agree with the general consensus here that if you're anticipating ever wanting to buzz your head in the future, then at the very least, go ahead and give that a trial run and see if you like it. If you do, you'll save yourself lots of time and money (and risk!) and will be able to confidently move on without the stress of hair restoration. And if you're set on going through with the HT, then understand that it is a risk and that there is no guarantee in how your scar will heal  - even with the best surgeons - or how short you'll be able to buzz your hair afterwards without the scar being noticeable. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

This is why surgery should always be the last resolve because there are no guarantees how the scar will heal and if the individual will be able to wear a buzzed hair style.  Once the scar is there, it's there for life.

On the other hand, it seems most guys who have larger procedures tend to grow their hair out, not buzz it down.

Gillenator