Will Dental Xrays Worsen Hairloss???

Hey gents. Very long time no post on the crazy forum. I'm up for a dental appointment. The one thing scaring me is amount of xrays the dentist wants to take. Standard set is 16 - 18 xrays which is standard. Everyone has to take it if they want dental work done. No exceptions. Pissed off by it as you can imagine despite the dentist saying theyre safe. He even showed me a chart comparing xray exposure to like an 8 hour flight. It shows less exposure by that example. But i'm still uneasy about it. Question is will that many xrays worsen or cause hairloss????

Edited by goodwally

As a dentist myself (although specialized in more academic/research field and don't do clinical work for half decade now) I can tell you it is safe. X-Ray is more of an issue for dentist/radiologist than for patients.

Though that number of X-Rays is unusual I've to say.  

12 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

As a dentist myself (although specialized in more academic/research field and don't do clinical work for half decade now) I can tell you it is safe. X-Ray is more of an issue for dentist/radiologist than for patients.

Though that number of X-Rays is unusual I've to say.  

Hi harry_potter1. Thanks for replying. But are xrays safe for hair? Dont care if I get cancer. Just dont want  my hair affected AT ALL. Are tthey safe for hair???

Yeah I agree 16 xrays is unusually high. But standard wherever you go now.

Below is link from a ht doc who answered a girl's question about her hairloss from xrays.  2nd link is about a man's beard erased from radiation. Dont knw if its xrays though. Tell me what you think!!!

https://torontohairtransplant.com/female-hair-loss-after-x-rays/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3107958/

Edited by goodwally

On 12/12/2019 at 10:38 PM, goodwally said:

Hi harry_potter1. Thanks for replying. But are xrays safe for hair? Dont care if I get cancer. Just dont want  my hair affected AT ALL. Are tthey safe for hair???

Yeah I agree 16 xrays is unusually high. But standard wherever you go now.

Below is link from a ht doc who answered a girl's question about her hairloss from xrays.  2nd link is about a man's beard erased from radiation. Dont knw if its xrays though. Tell me what you think!!!

https://torontohairtransplant.com/female-hair-loss-after-x-rays/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3107958/

1-First article, the doctor dismiss her reasoning. 

2-Second one, it is for radiations treating cancer which is totally different than diagnostic X-Rays in terms of effect. 

3-You will care if you get cancer, and you will lose hair if you get it thanks to treatment at least. Not trying to be rude but beware of what you are saying man. 

4-I assume that those X-Rays are Periapical, may be bite-wing/panoramic x-ray?  All won't  go through your hair anyway. 

5-If you are gonna be paranoid about it, don't do it. You will blame yourself, your doctor and anyone who told you to go for it if you lost any hair in the future. 

Edited by harry_potter1

9 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

1-First article, the doctor dismiss her reasoning. 

2-Second one, it is for radiations treating cancer which is totally different than diagnostic X-Rays in terms of effect. 

3-You will care if you get cancer, and you will lose hair if you get it thanks to treatment at least. Not trying to be rude but beware of what you are saying man. 

4-I assume that those X-Rays are Periapical, may be bite-wing/panoramic x-ray?  All would go through your hair anyway. 

5-If you are gonna be paranoid about it, don't do it. You will blame yourself, your doctor and anyone who told you to go for it if you lost any hair in the future. 

Hi harry_potter1,

Appreciate the reply. But  confused by your answer. Your 1st comment says xrays are safe. But your followup says I'll lose hair. I dont get it.

You also said the xrays will go through my hair. But if the beam is directed to my teeth how would they touch my hair?

And are you saying if they go through my hair that they wont affect my hair?

I also concur that 16-18 x-rays sounds like a lot.   I had significant reconstruction work done and lots of extractions and never had that many x-rays done...:o

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

17 hours ago, goodwally said:

Hi harry_potter1,

Appreciate the reply. But  confused by your answer. Your 1st comment says xrays are safe. But your followup says I'll lose hair. I dont get it.

You also said the xrays will go through my hair. But if the beam is directed to my teeth how would they touch my hair?

And are you saying if they go through my hair that they wont affect my hair?

I've edited 3rd point, X-Rays won't go through your hair. Bad typo from my behalf

I didn't say you will lose your hair, I said if you get cancer; treatment might cause hair loss. Chemotherapy do that. Was pointing out how ridiculous to make a statement like "Don't care if I get cancer. Just dont want  my hair affected AT ALL"

Because -god forbid- if you get it (cancer), you will care and you will lose hair among other things. 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:34 AM, harry_potter1 said:

I've edited 3rd point, X-Rays won't go through your hair. Bad typo from my behalf

I didn't say you will lose your hair, I said if you get cancer; treatment might cause hair loss. Chemotherapy do that. Was pointing out how ridiculous to make a statement like "Don't care if I get cancer. Just dont want  my hair affected AT ALL"

Because -god forbid- if you get it (cancer), you will care and you will lose hair among other things. 

Well I'd like more clarity. You say xrays wont go through hair and wont cause hairloss. But I did read it can cause hairloss. So dont know what to believe.

My statement isnt ridiculous. I've had so much shit happen in my life that getting cancer wont be surprising,,.. and i wouldnt mind it.

Dental x-rays don't cause hair loss, the level of radiation isn't high enough.  If I were you, I would tell the doctor to take less x-rays and insist on digital x-rays.  If he insists on 16-17 x-rays, find another dentist.

46 minutes ago, Curious said:

Dental x-rays don't cause hair loss, the level of radiation isn't high enough.  If I were you, I would tell the doctor to take less x-rays and insist on digital x-rays.  If he insists on 16-17 x-rays, find another dentist.

Kinda confused here. You said xrays dont cause hairloss cuz the radiation level isnt high enough.  Are you saying it can never ever achieve high enough radiation to cause it? Or that it can given a high amount of it?

Then you suggest go somewhere else if dentist insists on 16 - 18 rays. But by saying this you imply it DOES cause hairloss given the amount.

Standard xray scan is 16 - 18. Its standard where I go.

Would like if you'd clear this up cuz I'm confused about your reply.

Edited by goodwally

10 hours ago, goodwally said:

Well I'd like more clarity. You say xrays wont go through hair and wont cause hairloss. But I did read it can cause hairloss. So dont know what to believe.

My statement isnt ridiculous. I've had so much shit happen in my life that getting cancer wont be surprising,,.. and i wouldnt mind it.

That’s a pretty intense statement to say you would welcome cancer bud...I truly hope you don’t feel that way

who was your surgeon? It wouldn’t hurt to run this question by them and report back to the forum. You may end up helping others with the same question in the future 

all the best

10 hours ago, goodwally said:

Up till now you didn't cite a single source that says that. And I answered you very clearly, I can't clear something that I didn't read or provided a link for.

Anyone who says they don't care if they get cancer obviously does not know what they are talking about!...:o

Trust me, YOU WILL CARE!

I know firsthand because I did get cancer back in 2009...and it was already in an advanced terminal stage.  It was lung cancer caused from smoking and my entire right lung had to be removed.

Then came the chemo!...that in itself nearly killed me...and I suffered a tremendous amount of collateral damage to which I still am affected by current day.

The chemo literally destroyed my teeth and 90% of them had to be extracted....it also cause my arteries, blood vessels and the like to calcify and become brittle.

I could go on and on but I hit the main points.

And did I mention that I lost 100% of the hair on my entire body?...my scalp, all body and pubic hair, etc, etc.

Thank God the hair eventually  grew back in....including my grafts from prior procedures.

Moral to the story?...when the doctors tell you to quit smoking or you will get cancer, trust me, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!...:o

The fact that I survived it and am alive to share this publicly is a miracle in itself especially considering that every doctor involved in my case said that I would not survive stage 4 lung cancer.  I even went to the extent of arranging my will, pre-paid my funeral costs and burial plot which I still own.

Did I mention the hell my wife went though watching me suffer and nearly die?

This entire experience not only gave me a new lease on life but now I look at life entirely different and I thank God for His kindness and healing me...my wife and I grew all the more closer in love and I am so very thankful for her as well...:D

Gill

Edited by gillenator
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

3 hours ago, gillenator said:

Anyone who says they don't care if they get cancer obviously does not know what they are talking about!...:o

Trust me, YOU WILL CARE!

I know firsthand because I did get cancer back in 2009...and it was already in an advanced terminal stage.  It was lung cancer caused from smoking and my entire right lung had to be removed.

Then came the chemo!...that in itself nearly killed me...and I suffered a tremendous amount of collateral damage to which I still am affected by current day.

The chemo literally destroyed my teeth and 90% of them had to be extracted....it also cause my arteries, blood vessels and the like to calcify and become brittle.

I could go on and on but I hit the main points.

And did I mention that I lost 100% of the hair on my entire body?...my scalp, all body and pubic hair, etc, etc.

Thank God the hair eventually  grew back in....including my grafts from prior procedures.

Moral to the story?...when the doctors tell you to quit smoking or you will get cancer, trust me, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!...:o

The fact that I survived it and am alive to share this publicly is a miracle in itself especially considering that every doctor involved in my case said that I would not survive stage 4 lung cancer.  I even went to the extent of arranging my will, pre-paid my funeral costs and burial plot which I still own.

Did I mention the hell my wife went though watching me suffer and nearly die?

This entire experience not only gave me a new lease on life but now I look at life entirely different and I thank God for His kindness and healing me...my wife and I grew all the more closer in love and I am so very thankful for her as well...:D

Gill

Gill, I am sorry to hear this.  Make sure to check in with the doctor as prescribed.

We have a long history of cancer.  My grandfather, uncle and other family members died from it.  My dad also had colon cancer.  Eventually I will also die from it.  Check-ups are HUGE.  I am curious to learn how you found out about it.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

21 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

That’s a pretty intense statement to say you would welcome cancer bud...I truly hope you don’t feel that way

who was your surgeon? It wouldn’t hurt to run this question by them and report back to the forum. You may end up helping others with the same question in the future

Not so intense to the person going thru shit in his life that cancer isnt that surprising. Just a another issue atop of a ton of others. You dont want to be in my shoes.

Surgeon? Never got a transparent done yet.

21 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

Up till now you didn't cite a single source that says that. And I answered you very clearly, I can't clear something that I didn't read or provided a link for.

Strange. I provided 2 sources. You on the other hand didnt provide one. If you were clear i dont think I'd be questioning you.

Time  to go back to the drawing board.

Edited by goodwally

8 hours ago, gillenator said:

Youre right. Never had cancer so cant speak to that. Appreciate that story. In a sense try to understand my life is a living curse. Issue on top of issue. Thats why i said that.

Good you regrew all your hairs back.

Just being careful with xrays. Weird that 18 xrays in 1 session is the norm wherever i go to get teeth done. Been to 4 dentists who said the same thing. You want us to fix your teeth? Get the pretty 18 xrays. As a patient you have no control over that. Talk about patient rights. There aint no rights. Just illusion,.

Hope there a real dentist in here to chime in and give the verdict on it.

2 hours ago, goodwally said:

Strange. I provided 2 sources. You on the other hand didnt provide one. If you were clear i dont think I'd be questioning you.

Time  to go back to the drawing board.

You didn't provide any source actually.

You provided two links and they are saying something different than what you think they are, actually they are denying what you say. 

As I said, one is a patient being paranoid and doctors dismiss what she says. Patient question isn't a source, the answer is. 

other speaking about radiotherapy, not X-Ray. You realize that those aren't anywhere similar in their effect? This supposed to be common knowledge nowadays

I've been very clear, go for it, it is safe. As long as you do it and move on without getting paranoid about it and blaming anything that happen for it. If you will still feel anxious (which seem your type of personality tbh) don't do it. Will be unfair to you and your dentist

Your dentist, this forum, the physicians in the first link you brought are all agreeing on it being safe. 

Bottom line: relax and do it.

Edited by harry_potter1

A miscalibrated CT scan gives enough radiation to cause hair loss, but a CT scan gives off about 100 times the level of radiation of a basic x-ray.  You are obsessing over nothing.  I try and limit the number of x-rays I receive because in general radiation is not good for you.  The level of radiation from a digital dental x-ray is lower than conventional dental x-ray.

14 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

Your dentist, this forum, the physicians in the first link you brought are all agreeing on it being safe. 

Bottom line: relax and do it.

Damn. Just that I have issues with my pituitary gland and I dont want to make it worse with xrays.

7 hours ago, Curious said:

A miscalibrated CT scan gives enough radiation to cause hair loss, but a CT scan gives off about 100 times the level of radiation of a basic x-ray.  You are obsessing over nothing.  I try and limit the number of x-rays I receive because in general radiation is not good for you.  The level of radiation from a digital dental x-ray is lower than conventional dental x-ray.

As I told harry_potter1 I have issues like trembling at night when I go to sleep and impotence. Radiation pointed in the direction of my brain would maybe cause more damage?? Not 100% sure on that I admit. Just trying to be safe given this issue. 

Aside from that I found a doc who would do root canal on my tooth for $250 only. He wont do extra xrays other than the few xrays I already took at another dentist 2 weeks ago.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by goodwally

With all due respect, I believe you'll find what you're looking for in this regard. If you want to find evidence to support that the dental x-rays will cause hair loss, then there's nothing anyone can do or say to convince you otherwise, and you will seek out and give credence to articles that support this belief - no matter how many people tell you that the x-rays from the dental exam will not cause hair loss. I have never seen any substantial scientific evidence to support such a claim, and you also have the good fortune of having an unbiased dentist responding to you personally on a hair loss forum that he doesn't believe you have anything to be concerned about. 

If I were you, I would get a second opinion from a dentist, and then choose the one who requires the least amount of x-rays if that's something you're really concerned about.

And lastly, I would really be open to the possibility that bad things aren't always going to happen to you. I spent many years with intense anxiety, so I understand very well what it's like to always be waiting on the other shoe to drop - and I also understand that our minds are extremely powerful and we seek and attract what we put attention to.

And finally - Personally, no matter what you say, I truly hope you don't find yourself battling cancer or anything of the sort and that your life continues to unfold beautifully... Healthy teeth and healthy hair and all! ❤️ 

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hey Laser, thanks man for the encouraging words.  The way they found out about my lung cancer was an incidental finding.  I was having an MRI on my spine as I also have a deteriorating spine condition and they saw three large tumors the size of baseballs in my right lung.  I then had a CT scan and sure enough, the tumors were for real.  A biopsy was done and into surgery I went where they removed my entire right lung.  It was stage 4 lung cancer.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having annual physicals with a primary doctor.  My younger brother passed away 3 years ago and he was the kind of guy who never went to the doctor unless you had one leg in the grave.  Well, as things turned out, he had extremely high blood pressure and did not know it...he also had substantial blockage in his heart and needed surgery immediately...he died on the OR table.

And if anyone has a family history of cancer, all the more reason to get regular tests done.  Mt brother had full medical insurance but never used it until it was too late.

And for guys over 40, it's critical to have your prostrate and colon checked on a routine basis...they are a few of the most preventable and treatable forms of cancer.

Gillenator

20 hours ago, pkipling said:

If you want to find evidence to support that the dental x-rays will cause hair loss, then there's nothing anyone can do or say to convince you otherwise, and you will seek out and give credence to articles that support this belief - no matter how many people tell you that the x-rays from the dental exam will not cause hair loss. I have never seen any substantial scientific evidence to support such a claim, and you also have the good fortune of having an unbiased dentist responding to you personally on a hair loss forum that he doesn't believe you have anything to be concerned about.

Hi pkipling. Thanks for the reply. But youre not taking into account the other issues I posted before. As I said I may have neurological issues like trembling in sleep and impotence. I was never given a neurological diagnosis. But aside from the hairloss I believe xrays would worsen these other issues. Keep in mind the xrays will be pointed in the direction of my brain. 

Again not sure since I'm no doc and never given a diagnosis. Just things I keep in mind - its my health. Btw its crazy that a dentist on this forum suggests 18 xrays in 1 session is deemed safe. It may be safe for a healthy person. But not for an unhealthy person. Docs fail to take that into consideration. I never in my life heard that that many should be accepted as standard. While growing up seeing dentists I was always given 1 or 2 xrays. But now 18 as standard???? Come on now.  

Edited by goodwally

17 hours ago, goodwally said:

Hi pkipling. Thanks for the reply. But youre not taking into account the other issues I posted before. As I said I may have neurological issues like trembling in sleep and impotence. I was never given a neurological diagnosis. But aside from the hairloss I believe xrays would worsen these other issues. Keep in mind the xrays will be pointed in the direction of my brain. 

Again not sure since I'm no doc and never given a diagnosis. Just things I keep in mind - its my health. Btw its crazy that a dentist on this forum suggests 18 xrays in 1 session is deemed safe. It may be safe for a healthy person. But not for an unhealthy person. Docs fail to take that into consideration. I never in my life heard that that many should be accepted as standard. While growing up seeing dentists I was always given 1 or 2 xrays. But now 18 as standard???? Come on now.  

There is difference between safe, and standard. 

-I've never said it is standard.

-For RCT  (root canal treatment) we do like 2-4 depending on technique,you didn't even tell what type of treatment you are undergoing. I questioned that and all you said "it is the standard everywhere you go". 

-From your answers it was clear you are from US and you guys are known for doing extensive tests over clinical experience. No offense to any american doctor/dentist in this forum.

-You never even answered what type of X-Rays they are. 

-You have said you worry about your hair, You didn't give any medical history. Your question is about your hair, that is what I have answered. Don't bring new health issues to the argument and be mad that you didn't get the answer you like. 

-And yes, even then there is no evidence that support your claim  of being unsafe. Even for unhealthy. Pregnant women being exception. 

Will leave you with this info.

Radiation constantly rains down on us from outer space, explains Dr. Paula Sikorski, an oral and maxillofacial radiology consultant in Sunnybrook’s Department of Dentistry. There are also elements in the earth that are producing a steady stream of radioactive particles.

Depending upon where you live and travel on our planet, you receive between 3,000 and 4,000 micro-Sieverts of radiation every year, says Dr. Lam. (The atmosphere acts to absorb or deflect some of the cosmic radiation. That means people who live at higher altitudes – where the air is thinner – tend to be exposed to more radiation than those who dwell closer to sea level.)

By contrast, you receive a dose of 8 or 9 micro-Sieverts for each intraoral X-ray, provided the dentist is using either fast-speed film or digital imaging, says Dr. Lam.  With slower speed film, the dose would be roughly doubled.

Each intraoral X-ray shows several teeth, from the upper surface to the supporting bone.  A dentist might order multiple images to reveal an area of concern.

A dentist can also rely upon a ‘panoramic’ X-ray,which shows the entire mouth area – all the teeth in both the upper and lower jaws. The dose from this type of X-ray is about 24 micro-Sieverts, says Dr. Lam.

Overall, the amount of radiation you get from dental X-rays is relatively small – especially when compared with the radiation you receive from natural background sources.

I answered you as I thought I can help you with my knowledge, I gain nothing from this conversation or whatever you do.

oh, wait I get being  deemed crazy. SMH 

Edited by harry_potter1