Minoxidl crossroads, to stop or continue use?

Blackweasel

Hey all,

Ive been using minoxidl for the last 8weeks and am getting too much daily loss and shedding. Started off with liquid 5% then switched to foam 5% twice daily. 

Im easily loosing well over a hundred hairs daily, this was alot less before I started. Theres hair everywhere and considering my hair was already thinning I really dont know what to do. Also I get healthy thick hairs being shed, not just thinning hair. Most of it is also coming from top of head. 

I get really concerned when i read that Minoxidl has caused permanent hair loss in other users. 

What does everyone think? When did shedding stop for other users? Im genuinely afraid im going to go bald real fast with this drug. 

Thanks,

Sam 

My Opinion and personal account (ask a doctor, ideally):

Continue!

I take oral minoxidil. I had massive shedding for perhaps the first 4 months. May have even been up to 5 months.

I'd rub my hair firmly (no scratching) and maybe 50 hairs would fall out after 15 seconds of rubbing

Used to do it over A4 sheets of paper at work. Would see loads of hairs, which went notably thinner towards the root. It was a bit scary, looking back.

Nowadays, perhaps 5 hairs fall out when doing this.

I was also shedding thick healthy hair. The hair was thinner towards the root, so I assume there was hair underneath taking the nutrients and it was ready to pop through (my basic science of the hair cycle. Shedded hair - club hair, and the new hair pops through a few months later. It;s more complicated than this, but yeah)

Was scary. But my hair was gonna go anyway. I had no option, really.

9 months later. the difference is massive. Thick, dark, root-like hair. Density has increased about 20-30% I'd say, thanks to thicker hair growing in. This could overall postpone my next transplant on the back region by years, perhaps.

Power through, you haven't been on it long enough. And if you don't, it's gonna fall out anyway, so what's to lose?

Edited by GokuHair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gokuhair- what dosage of oral minoxidil do you use?

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 6:46 PM, GokuHair said:

Continue!

I take oral minoxidil. I had massive shedding for perhaps the first 4 months. May have even been up to 5 months.

I'd rub my hair firmly (no scratching) and maybe 50 hairs would fall out after 15 seconds of rubbing

Used to do it over A4 sheets of paper at work. Would see loads of hairs, which went notably thinner towards the root. It was a bit scary, looking back.

I was also shedding thick healthy hair. The hair was thinner towards the root, so I assume there was hair underneath taking the nutrients and it was ready to pop through (my basic science of the hair cycle. Shedded hair - club hair, and the new hair pops through a few months later. It;s more complicated than this, but yeah)

9 months later. the difference is massive. Thick, dark, root-like hair. Density has increased about 20-30% I'd say, thanks to thicker hair growing in. This could overall postpone my next transplant on the back region by years, perhaps.

Power through, you haven't been on it long enough. And if you don't, it's gonna fall out anyway, so what's to lose?

How much Minoxidl were you applying? Foam or liquid based? Did you derma roll? Also did you take AR5 blockers or any other hair loss drugs that synergised with the minoxidl? 

6 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

How much Minoxidl were you applying? Foam or liquid based? Did you derma roll? Also did you take AR5 blockers or any other hair loss drugs that synergised with the minoxidl? 

I take 5mg oral minoxidil per day

On 12/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, GokuHair said:

Continue!

Did you notice weight/fat gain?

11 hours ago, GokuHair said:

I take 5mg oral minoxidil per day

Have you noticed change in blood pressure and heart rate after taking pill..my heart rate goes to 90 BPM after taking tablet. I have resting heart rate of 80-82 BPM.

5 hours ago, duchaine said:

Did you notice weight/fat gain?

first few weeks I had a puffier face. After that, completely back to normal I'd say

5 hours ago, Ash05 said:

Have you noticed change in blood pressure and heart rate after taking pill..my heart rate goes to 90 BPM after taking tablet. I have resting heart rate of 80-82 BPM.

Not anymore. But in the first few weeks when I took 2.5mg, yes. And also when I upped to 5mg, I noticed this for about a week

• Like 1

Running my fingers through my hair I feel alot of tiny hairs just poking through. Do you guys think this is growth from minoxidl? The minox shedding coming back? It will really help fill in some volume if I can get these hairs to thiken up. Theyre sprouting all around my scalp, even in balding areas. Plus also my temples are seemingly filling in? 

Ive also noticed yesterday I had a thick black hair growing on my nose! And getting hairs around my nose, random hairs in eye lashes are growing alot longer than they usually do, now have to trim them..... maybe im a responder after all? 

D650B945-225D-445A-A7CF-0A588B2CA7AA.png

D557130A-6D4D-400B-8EFF-0BCE8FFB736D.png

7A13379E-DBE5-4F11-B429-C2B943E5D458.jpeg

33C78DA8-A60E-4A5A-8ADB-0BC7564E63AB.png

20 minutes ago, Blackweasel said:

Running my fingers through my hair I feel alot of tiny hairs just poking through. Do you guys think this is growth from minoxidl? The minox shedding coming back? It will really help fill in some volume if I can get these hairs to thiken up. Theyre sprouting all around my scalp, even in balding areas. Plus also my temples are seemingly filling in? 

Ive also noticed yesterday I had a thick black hair growing on my nose! And getting hairs around my nose, random hairs in eye lashes are growing alot longer than they usually do, now have to trim them..... maybe im a responder after all? 

Totally normal, the magic is happening and you will have a full head of hair soon, it's normal to have longer eyelashes and facial hair etc, you might notice more body hair too, make sure you clean your pillow case often because when you sleep minoxidil will rub against your pillow and gets on your face, changing the pillow case often can help a bit, also you can wash your hair 3 to 4 hours after putting minoxidil it won't lose effectiveness at all, these things will help reduce the unwanted side that you stated.

I would advise you to monitor any other side effects, when I was using minoxidil I started having dark circles under my eyes and I looked like I ages 10 years, even people were commenting on how I looked tired, I had to stop, my eyes recovered but not 100% unfortunately, don't mean to scare you because it rarely happens but it's one of the side effects of minoxidil if you google it.

Oral minoxidil has worked miracles for my crown

Put it this way. Before my transplant on the front 9 months ago, I was planning for the whole midscalp and crown to also fall out within 5 to 7 years (could just get creative with fibers)

Now I reckon the crown will hold for MUCH longer. Particularly lower crown

(could be wrong, just speculation and looking at what's happened. Will do pics at 1 year mark)

Edited by GokuHair
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GokuHair said:

Oral minoxidil has worked miracles for my crown

Put it this way. Before my transplant on the front 9 months ago, I was planning for the whole midscalp and crown to also fall out within 5 to 7 years (could just get creative with fibers)

Now I reckon the crown will hold for MUCH longer. Particularly lower crown

(could be wrong, just speculation and looking at what's happened. Will do pics at 1 year mark)

This is my crown right now. My mid scalp is responding with many new hair sprouting (pic1) but low crown is still a little slow. Ive started derma rolling today and have ordered 15% minox with fina. I always crush fina tablets with foam minoxidl 2x daily and take oral finasteride. Soon will start dutasteride and Spironolactone cream and also Ket DHT block shampoo also take saw palmetto. Have also started derma rolling before Minoxidl from today.

Im going all out to try and get results as fast as possible and then maintain from the on with AR5 blockers. I am seriously considering oral 5mg day Minoxidl aswell! @GokuHair do you think its worth it to add to my regimen?

Thanks @Abi28! Since im gonna be on so many different drugs I gave up on sides. I am slowly loosing libido too, Ill go hard for 6 months and then taper down. I apply so much Minoxidl to my temples some is bound to end up on my face, gonna end up a gorilla soon 😛 

strangely getting pimples and new hairs sprouting from my FUE session too. Its only been 26 days since my op.... I just need to restore that crown :( 

2BAE1AF2-0192-431F-B75A-0EE85F999F70.png

If you're 

5 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

This is my crown right now. My mid scalp is responding with many new hair sprouting (pic1) but low crown is still a little slow. Ive started derma rolling today and have ordered 15% minox with fina. I always crush fina tablets with foam minoxidl 2x daily and take oral finasteride. Soon will start dutasteride and Spironolactone cream and also Ket DHT block shampoo also take saw palmetto. Have also started derma rolling before Minoxidl from today.

Im going all out to try and get results as fast as possible and then maintain from the on with AR5 blockers. I am seriously considering oral 5mg day Minoxidl aswell! @GokuHair do you think its worth it to add to my regimen?

Thanks @Abi28! Since im gonna be on so many different drugs I gave up on sides. I am slowly loosing libido too, Ill go hard for 6 months and then taper down. I apply so much Minoxidl to my temples some is bound to end up on my face, gonna end up a gorilla soon 😛 

strangely getting pimples and new hairs sprouting from my FUE session too. Its only been 26 days since my op.... I just need to restore that crown :( 

2BAE1AF2-0192-431F-B75A-0EE85F999F70.png

If you're taken finasteride, saw palmetto and spironolactone then oral minoxidil 5mg won't seem scary at all

I don't even take finasteride. Was way less scared of oral minoxidil

5 hours ago, Blackweasel said:

Thanks @Abi28! Since im gonna be on so many different drugs I gave up on sides. I am slowly loosing libido too, Ill go hard for 6 months and then taper down. I apply so much Minoxidl to my temples some is bound to end up on my face, gonna end up a gorilla soon

You only need to apply 1ml, applying more minoxidil doesn't give you better results in fact it will give you more side effects.

17 minutes ago, Blackweasel said:

@GokuHair  im real keen to take oral Minoxidl 5mg day but cant seem to find a trustworthy supplier online. Would you know where best to purchase? Can even PM me would really appreciate it man.

Why would you take both oral and topical minoxidil, oral minoxidil is very very dangerous way more dangerous than finasteride. Oral minoxidil can cause heart problems, it's a drug used to treat people with with high blood pressure, yes it gives you hair but it's dangerous, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

If you take oral minox - DROP topical minox (overkill).  Seriously.  Systemic absorption w/oral is WAY more effective.  Start low at 2.5mg or 5mg per day - or even 1.25mg per day.  Thailandpharmacy.net has good prices on 5mg and 10mg oral.  Takes awhile to get your order (2.5 to 3 weeks) & you have to do it w/Western Union or Moneygram or bitcoin or altcoin- but they are very very reliable.

53 minutes ago, jjsrader said:

If you take oral minox - DROP topical minox (overkill).  Seriously.  Systemic absorption w/oral is WAY more effective.  Start low at 2.5mg or 5mg per day - or even 1.25mg per day.  Thailandpharmacy.net has good prices on 5mg and 10mg oral.  Takes awhile to get your order (2.5 to 3 weeks) & you have to do it w/Western Union or Moneygram or bitcoin or altcoin- but they are very very reliable.

He can use both. It is important that the overall quantity during the day.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Abi28 said:

You only need to apply 1ml, applying more minoxidil doesn't give you better results in fact it will give you more side effects.

Why would you take both oral and topical minoxidil, oral minoxidil is very very dangerous way more dangerous than finasteride. Oral minoxidil can cause heart problems, it's a drug used to treat people with with high blood pressure, yes it gives you hair but it's dangerous, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Hey Abi,

Thanks for your message.

I just thought since am somewhat now responding to Minoxidl I thought oral would be a nice combo. Maybe even around 2.5 mg ed at start and increase to max 5mg as I go. If see any negative sides taper down straight away...ive got a long way to go so worth testing how I react to different substances and ingestion methods. 

I guess im just keen to see some decent crown re-growth.

@duchaine what is the maximum daily amount you speak of? Cheers :) 

1 hour ago, jjsrader said:

Okay - oral minox has a lifespan of like 8 hours - so space it out I guess.  I think the 1/2 life of oral minox is 4.25 hours.

Is it 8 or 4 hours for oral minox? Did you mean topical in second sentence? 

Cheers :)