Dynamic

Poor results by prominent doctor. Advice needed (pics)

15 minutes ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

This thread is a good opportunity to bring up smoking and vaping after a transplant. I do not know if the patient ingests nicotine, but heavy nicotine use is directly associated with poor wound healing. I know local dermatologists here in Charleston who refuse skin biopsies in heavy smokers due to the possibility of necrosis.

This thread is a good opportunity to bring up important points like 

Did any visits was made before recommending the doctor

what was the vetting process and how it was conducted through online video?

how many clinics have been visited by this forum before recommending them

how much money this forum charges after the vetting process for recommendations 

Potential patients deserve to know these answers because this forum is getting funds from doctors who are showcasing their talent to lure us and make money

8 minutes ago, Vickykuril said:

This response speaks louder then words if you can understand. Everyone should realise which side this forum is playing for by locking this thread. This forum is for patients and potential patients. By locking this thread it will be injustice to the patient and potential patients but it is beneficial for the dr and forum handlers. 

And we think this forum is for us!! When dr couto can’t be recommended here without paying please understand. 

This forum facilitates doctors who can payup, how many clinics have been visited before recommending here. Vetting process my ass.

Like this industry severely needs regulation, forums who are misleading potential patients and then helping doctors to simmer down the flame should also be regulated on ethical standards. They should also be held responsible if they are prioritising doctors rights when the patient is raped. Money is involved many people will sell their families too for money

While I agree with your point that this industry severely lacks regulation I don’t think you should be attacking this forum. This patient did go through a horrible ordeal but this forum has allowed him to voice his experience and Melvin has been fair with him trying to help him. The other major US forum probably wouldn’t even have allowed his post to get through without moderation. It costs money to run websites and they’re transparent about the process here. I wish I had joined this forum and done the research I’ve done now before my procedure. 

30 minutes ago, Vickykuril said:

Are you the doctor sir who did this surgery , if your son was in his chair would you still bring up  smoking and vaping? Everyone identify this doctor and understand. 100% refund is the least a should do rather then bringing up stupid points , it shows the mentality sir. 

Vories was not the surgeon, it’s also not a stupid point. It’s part of the reason why the surgeon himself ought to be able to respond and give his point of view, whether or not it is reasonable at that point everyone can decide. I’ve seen various necrosis cases even from top surgeons and smoking was involved occasionally.

in saying that, the post op looks of a terrible standard, well below the typical level from this doctor and the placement of the grafts is not natural. But still, the doctor needs to be able to argue his point for people to understand exactly what occurred.

Edited by JayLDD

This forum seems a lot more open and that is why there is tremendous thread activity here.  Some forums due to high moderations and strange forum rules, are losing user base where their threads are locked or deleted or unheard.  

this thread shouldnt be locked as similar threads for unknown docs and issues have persisted and allowed to stand.  Even in those threads , there was tons of speculations and what not.

once locking occurs then user base leaves and just marketers stand.  

in the meantime,  most folks are here to make patient feel like they are not alone.  We can give the user some time to decide and hopefully they will update with more pics later.

1 minute ago, JayLDD said:

Vories was not the surgeon, it’s also not a stupid point. It’s part of the reason why the surgeon himself ought to be able to respond and give his point of view, whether or not it is reasonable at that point everyone can decide. I’ve seen various necrosis cases even from top surgeons and smoking was involved occasionally.

in saying that, the post op looks of a terrible standard and the placement of the grafts is not natural. But still, the doctor needs to be able to argue his point for people to understand exactly what occurred.

I agree that smoking affects post op healing and can cause necrosis but the immediate post op and fut closure is so freaking bad that these points are not even secondary. How can a doctor raise this point after seeing post op and closure when a doctor should know that the surgery was botched up and this is not cuz of smoking so y raise this point to support fellow professional

My point is that nicotine ingestion should be part of the initial intake for patients, and if the patient does intake there should be a discussion about the risk of necrosis and the need for the patient to reduce nicotine in the crucial 4 weeks post-op. This does not exclude other causes of necrosis, especially dense packing in the center of the scalp with unnecessary large incisions. This is one of the reasons we use implanter pens, so the size of the incisions are closely matched to the size of the grafts.

2 minutes ago, Vickykuril said:

I agree that smoking affects post op healing and can cause necrosis but the immediate post op and fut closure is so freaking bad that these points are not even secondary. How can a doctor raise this point after seeing post op and closure when a doctor should know that the surgery was botched up and this is not cuz of smoking so y raise this point to support fellow professional

Because the post-op looks significantly worse than usual for this doctor (although I don’t think his record for FUT scars is strong, nor are his post-ops the the cleanest after placement) there is a question of whether something outside the norm occurred during this particular surgery. At this point we don’t know.  Taking the knives out is fine, but only once people have the full story. 

Every user along with the forum should pressurise the clinic to refund 100% money back its the least they should do to give this patient a second chance. It is their ethical and moral duty

4 minutes ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

My point is that nicotine ingestion should be part of the initial intake for patients, and if the patient does intake there should be a discussion about the risk of necrosis and the need for the patient to reduce nicotine in the crucial 4 weeks post-op. This does not exclude other causes of necrosis, especially dense packing in the center of the scalp with unnecessary large incisions. This is one of the reasons we use implanter pens, so the size of the incisions are closely matched to the size of the grafts.

I agree completely 

5 minutes ago, JayLDD said:

Because the post-op looks significantly worse than usual for this doctor (although I don’t think his record for FUT scars is strong, nor are his post-ops the the cleanest after placement) there is a question of whether something outside the norm occurred during this particular surgery. At this point we don’t know.  Taking the knives out is fine, but only once people have the full story. 

You are right but the response by the dr for 500 grafts obviously shows us the direction of the story

@Vickykuril

There are no money back guarantees in surgery. This is an elective surgery that doesn’t guarantee growth or happiness. I want every potential patient out there to understand this before having surgery. 
This is why I ask patients who want surgery whether a poor result would bother them more than their hair loss, if so they should avoid surgery.

@Sean

I hate locking threads, but there needs to be order, and this thread is getting out of control. This isn’t moderation for the sake of moderating- this is maintaining a fair environment for both patients and surgeons. 

At this point, I’ve reached out to the patient to help him and assist him with this issue, but he hasn’t responded.  I will re-open this thread once he’s reached out to me, so we can have the surgeon respond publicly to his concerns. We cannot in good faith host a one-way discussion where patients begin asking for the surgeons head on a platter without having the facts. 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

@Vickykuril

You have made bold accusations and your overall demeanor is toxic. We are here for the patient and that is why I personally sent him a private message. You sir have no respect and the way you spoke to Dr. Vories was atrocious, I suggest you find a new forum to participate in.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.