Questioning my Hair Transplant

I had a hair transplant 4 months ago. 2600 grafts were used to cover a 64cm area (hairline and temples). It wasn’t until after surgery that I noticed the density was only 41cm2 overall (50cm2 in the hairline and 30-35cm2 behind the hairline). Based on my research, this seems like the bare minimum in terms of density. Not to mention, my hair caliber is only 51 microns.  should I be considered about the density? do you think I will require a second procedure? thanks in advance. 

• Administrators

At 4 months, you shouldn't be thinking about numbers like how many fu per cm2. These are the nuances that drive patients insane, especially so early on in the process. 41 grafts per cm2 is not the bare minimum, where or who told you this? Because it's not true. Considering density changes naturally all over the scalp. The sides of the scalp can contain anywhere from 70/80 fu per cm2. That would mean that 41 fu per cm2 is on the high-end, hair loss is not visible until 50% of density has been lost. Therefore, 41 fu per cm2 is a little over 50%. Furthermore, it all depends on the growth, you could transplant 70 fu per cm2 but if 10% grows, you'll look 100x worse than someone with 40 grafts per cm2 with 85% growth.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that you just need to wait till you have your results before deciding if a second procedure is desired.  No matter how close the grafts are placed next to each other in the procedure when everything is grown in there will be spaces available to add more grafts and improving density. Often more than one procedure is needed to get the desired density. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Great points by Dr. Charles.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.